G1 Switch to MTSlide

Last Updated:

1. macavely

macavely Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I might got tomorrow or Friday to pick one up ... I have had the G1 for 2 years now and I love the phone. I wasn't thinking about upgrading till I got the tmobile email telling me about the slide 4 weeks ago. Then Last week I got to play with one. And I finally phone the phone that I can upgrade for.

Are any other G1 users making the switch ??

Advertisement
  2. MrBigFeathers

MrBigFeathers Well-Known Member

My wife uses the G1. I ordered her the slide this morning.

3. plainbrad

plainbrad Well-Known Member

I'm going from a G1 to the MTS. Got mine this morning. Still deciding if it is great or not.

When you saw the the one, what did you like dislike about it and maybe we can help you make a choice.

4. macavely

Well there will be no MTS for me... My girl got it.. and since we are on the same family plan . Only one of us could get it... She switched from the MT3G to the slide... She is sitting behind me playing with it right now..

5. hkmiller

hkmiller New Member

Nice phone, but having never used an android device before, there is a big learning curve coming from a Blackberry. Any other android users that switched from Blackberry, and miss the simplicity of the Blackberry?

Any good tutorials out there for the android?

6. boldfacelies

boldfacelies New Member

It's okay. The 4 row QWERTY is not on par with the G1. I much rather prefer the G1's keyboard.

It's super quick though. The next best physical keyboard to the G1 that's out there from TMobile at least.

Question 1: How do you make your own theme or get new ones? I have a Seagull noise for an e-mail, and the other themes are terrible as well. I just want a generic Android 2.1 background and color scheme.

Question 2: How do you disable the "Recent" apps in the Notification bar. The resolution isn't low enough to have those there and see notifications in Landscape mode.

7. erb0817

erb0817 Well-Known Member

What kinda stuff are you looking to do with it? If you are looking for some great apps, check out this website. Look around on these forums, they have great reviews of apps, games, and themes in the respective forums.

8. 03machme

03machme Well-Known Member

so she used your upgrade? that sucks lol

9. Carlos_Spicy_Weiner

Carlos_Spicy_Weiner Member

I find android more straight forward to operate than my blackberry was.

10. macavely

Yea.. but At least one of use got the phone. ...

11. MrNoSox

MrNoSox Well-Known Member

Got mine last night. I gotta say I'm very impressed. I almost like it as much or more than my N1

12. mdonova33

mdonova33 Well-Known Member

I had an opportunity to play with the MyTouch 3g Slide yesterday, and it is a very solid device. It feels VERY lightweight, and has sort of a Samsung Rogue feel to it. The keyboard is very spacious, and the UI is interesting. The Genius Button on it looks very cool, as it allows you to say a command, like "Search for Sports Scores" and it will do so. All in all, it looks like it will be a hit.

13. Turbo Brian

Turbo Brian Active Member

i had a bold 9700 before moving to a nexus one a couple weeks ago. dont miss my berry. wife got the slide last night (moving from curve 8900). she's gotten a little more frustrated with it but is liking it after playing with it more this morning.

14. ashykat

ashykat Well-Known Member

I used to have a g1 and I love the MTslide. It's very snappy, quick, nice display, proximity sensor, improved camera with flash, a lot more ram, great keyboard. So far so good. :)

15. ashykat

I've used a few different blackberries. I think overall that android is much simpler, but I also know how used to BlackBerry people get and it makes it hard to switch for sure. I can't necessarily say there are any great first tutorials out there for android, but maybe do some searching for "hands-on" videos. There is a good one for the new Evo on Android Central Sprint Evo 4G software walkthrough | Android Central. It won't be exactly the same because the widgets are different, etc. but it's a good general idea. These forums are a great place to get help with everything android. I'm sure in time you'll see all the advantages android has over a BB.

16. ashykat

Well I got my myTouch 3G Slide this morning along with a plaid case they were selling at T-Mobile. Here are the pictures. Sorry for bad image quality, used my webcam. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. smakmauz

smakmauz Member

To change your theme you have to go into 'mymodes' you can click on change theme or theres a link below the button to download more themes. I have yet to see if you can actually create and save your own theme.

as far as the recently used apps in the notification drawer.... I don't think you can remove them. I've been through this phone pretty extensively and haven't found any way to do it. kinda stupid but its not a deal breaker for me... I love this phone so far....but then again I'm coming from a Behold 2 (screw samsung!!)

18. macavely

That is the same case my girl got. It matches one of her bags.. lol...

I'm kind of jealous I wasn't able to get a Slide... I have to stop reading user reviews online... This was the frist phone I was really exited about getting. well there is always next year and who knows what will be out then..

19. ashykat

Just a sidenote regarding downloading extra themes. It won't work if you're using Wifi, so be sure to turn wifi off before downloading more themes. This is at least what happened in my situation.

Yeah it matches my wallet, lol. I didn't know that a family plan only allows one device subsidy. Have you seen if T-Mobile will sell you the phone full price but with the Equipment Installment Plan (EIP)? It would cost you more monthly but maybe it would be easier to have it spread out like that. Just a thought. :)

20. macavely

Yeah it matches my wallet, lol. I didn't know that a family plan only allows one device subsidy. Have you seen if T-Mobile will sell you the phone full price but with the Equipment Installment Plan (EIP)? It would cost you more monthly but maybe it would be easier to have it spread out like that. Just a thought. :)[/QUOTE]

Yea we tried that too, But they give you a limit on that. and my girl used it up with the Slide.. They said I could just add a line and get the phone at a discount. But I don't want to do that. So I just go with out a phone for now.

21. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

I was also a G1(now bricked :() user and currently looking for a new phone. This phone was on my list until I saw the price and while talking to a rep yesterday, they couldn't sell it to me cheaper after telling them I was going to cancel. I would get this phone if it was $129, but not at the current price.

22. ashykat

Are you eligible for an upgrade? Wal-Mart dropped the price to $129.99.

Edit: The $129 is for new customers. Upgrading customers will be $139. Awesome phone though, so I think it's worth it. :)

Source: Walmart Reduces myTouch 3G Slide Pricing | TmoNews - Unofficial T-Mobile Blog - News, Videos, Articles and more

23. thedukejr

thedukejr New Member

i had the G1 and switched to the MT Slide. i really like this phone but having problems trying to figure out why isn't the facebook connect for the contacts isn't changing some people's picture when they change their facebook profile picture.

24. ashykat

Yeah there's a thread going in the HTC Desire section about the same issue. No one really seems to know a way to make everything update yet without basically deleting your Facebook for HTC Sense account and readding. I think it refreshes eventually without doing this, but I think that's the only way to refresh it on command. Hopefully they add a refresh button or something in the future.

25. thedukejr

thedukejr New Member

thanks for the info. i know it's suppose to sync every hour and a few of my contact pictures have change but not all. hopefully they get it fixed.