G1 t-mobile total newbie rooting HELPSupport

1. exmortis

exmortis Member

i don't know alot about this subject, i have a G1 with firmware 1.1 and rc9 can update to cupcake or htc magic , if so how do it , what would be the benefits of cupcake from the t-mobile software ?? if any please help

Advertisement
    :
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Reasons to Root

Why Root - AndroidWiki

Rooting for UK :
    If you are wanting to do a Magic/Cupcake/ 1.5 Flash then 1.5 Should work for UK as well.
    (see below for options)

OP by Devolio ...

.... additional info on Step 2:

3. justjimjpc

4. exmortis

exmortis Member

It's all going wrong on step 2

cannot create recovery.img read_only file system

what iam doing
  5. justjimjpc

Not sure what to tell you just Carefully follow the Steps ... also at the end of the instructions is a post by another "randel77" his steps for #2 might help you out ...
  6. exmortis

exmortis Member

i don't know what iam doing wrong , get to step 2 all ok until i put in the recovery image and then it goes wrong , it's on the sd card tried 2 different ones formatted to fat 32 or fat it just comes back with read only file or can't find it...... through telnet on the phone , iam puting in telnetd and then opening the telnet app on the phone gives me load of charaters ending in ## then i start , ive downgraded the phone from rc9 to rc7 with putting the file NEEDED then deleteing it off the sdcard so the sd is clean with every step ???
  7. justjimjpc

There aren't many people around today ... so give your post sometime ... maybe someone with more expierence than me can help you out ... I am new to rooting as well ...
  8. justjimjpc

Possibly the following link will help you through step 2.

Updating to RC33 - ModMyGPhone Wiki
  9. exmortis

exmortis Member

Thanks all for the help!!
    Rooted the phone OK through a UTube video i watched using telnet and terminal emulator:)

applied the updates and installed the HTC Magic platform for the G1 look great and seems great will keep posted on outcomes

TIP TOP HTC MAGIC
  10. justjimjpc

Congrats And welcome to the world of Root/ :cool:
  11. walkerx

walkerx Active Member

Well I managed to root mine following the instructions here, but i have a question

when rebooting to do the firmware update and press alt+l to get the list it displayed the following

Android system recovery utility using test keys
    E:can't open /cache/recovery/command

then listed all the alt options, so I done alt+w then alt+s and it went through the update process and said complete

so rebooted and checked revision which now shows as

Android Dev Phone 1
    dream_devphone_userdebug 1.5

and checking in the apps got loads of stuff I never had before so looks like it worked a treat, but is that error at the beginning an issue or should i just ignore

also do i have to leave all the install files on in the root location

whoops, missed of step 5 so just doing that at the moment

installed JFv1.50_ADP1.5 and the cupcake radio update (what is the radio bit for ?)

thanks
  12. x3haloed

x3haloed Member

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that error is anything to worry about. I think I got the same error message.

Your build is correct, welcome to rooted cupcake!

You can safely delete all of the update.zip files, etc. from your SD card. Just be careful not to delete the files in your phone's root directory.
  13. justjimjpc

the radios are what does the various wireless communications phone, gps, data
  14. PoweredByLE5

PoweredByLE5 Well-Known Member

I was thinking of rooting my phone so I can get the 1.6 update. But I have a question. Since rooting requires erasing EVERYTHING, does that mean any paid apps I have I will have to rebuy?
  15. justjimjpc

Paid apps will be available for downloading at no further charge provided you register the phone with the same gmail account you used originally.
  16. PoweredByLE5

PoweredByLE5 Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thank you.
  17. Hellsticket

Hellsticket New Member

hi... last week i just bought HTC Dream in China.. i'm really confuse about the tutorial on how to root my HTC... and i live in china.. and also i still want to keep my keyboard able to write in chinese.. i will give all my information about my phone:

Model number: T-Mobil G1

Firmware version: 1.5

Baseband version: 62.33.20.08H_1.22.14.11

Kernel Version: 2.6.27-00392-g8312baf jesusfreke@AndroidDev)

Build number: kila-user 1.5 CRB21 147201 ota-rel-keys, release-keys

Production team: www.HIAPK.com Ver 2.2 f

so what should i do now???
  18. manolo111

manolo111 New Member

hi all. few days ago, i bought a g1 from shanghai-china.build number is:
    killa-user 1.5 crb21 147201 ota-rel-keys,lelease keys
    is there any possibility to root it? and how?
    thanx
  19. justjimjpc

you can try the procedure in my signature ...

also check out the various resources at :

How to Root your G1 - GetYourDroidOn

20. Hellsticket

Hellsticket New Member

21. justjimjpc

rooting changes parts of the Operating system software.

I don't know if any particular build will have Chinese as part of the Locale settings ...

22. thugsin313

thugsin313 Well-Known Member

hi all,
    i just got my first android phone yesterday, its a tmobile G1..
    its got Firmware version 1.5, and build number CRC1.
    i plan to root it in a few days, in the mean time i want to read all abt rooting and stuff, cuz i dont wanna brick it :D

the thing is tht since yesterday it been giving me a notification for OTA update to firmware version 1.6 !!:rolleyes:
    as i plan to root it in a few days, should i update it to 1.6 or should i keep it at 1.5 at the moment??:confused:

an easy tutorial to root and use roms will be highly appreciated!:eek:

waiting for a quick reply, thanks:)
  23. justjimjpc

If you are going to root ... no need to do the OTA update.

24. thugsin313

thugsin313 Well-Known Member

thnx for the advice,
    btw, which method should i use to root?
    it would be really helpful if u could guide me to a easy tutorial...
  25. justjimjpc

I guess you didn't notice the BOLD text in my signature in my posts with links to root and unroot a G1. I used this procedure more than a year ago... hopefully the links are still good ..