G2 - Can't format sd card (fat32/ext3/swap)

Last Updated:

1. daleoffret

daleoffret Member This Topic's Starter

I have a rooted MyTouch 3G (G2) phone that is rooted with CM-4.0.3.1. I want to move my applications onto my sd card with the built-in Apps2sd support.

I can't find any way to format my 8 GB Transend Class 6 sdhc card. ADB shell failed on Windows Server 2003 x86 and Windows XP using the Android SDK 1.5r3. Failed to partition using an Ubuntu workstation with the 'parted' utility.

Can I someone tell me what I am doing wrong or point me in the right direction? Can I send my SDHC card to someone to format for me with fat32/ext3/linux-swap?

1.) Model Number ? T-Mobile myTouch #G
    2.) Firmware Version ? 1.5
    3.) Baseband Version ? 62.50S.20.17U_2.22.19.26I
    4.) Kernel Version ? 2.6.29.6-cm4 share@toxygene
    4.5) Mod Version ? CyanogenMod-4.0.3.1
    5.) Build Number ? COC10

Also do you have a T-Mobile Data plan on your
    PayAsYouGo or FlexPay Plan? Yes

Carrier ? Tmobile

Country you are using your phone in ? US

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Used the program for your PC called PartitionMagic ...

Easy excellent program for partitioning and formatting the SDCard into the two partitions ... I recommend about 800MB for the ext3 and the balance for the Fat32

3. dskyers

dskyers Well-Known Member

you can do this from the phone wth nothing it will take less then five minutes check out the website theunlockr and follow his video its so easy a cave man can do it lol.... upload the rav. 1.2.1 recovery image and it has the option there

4. daleoffret

daleoffret Member This Topic's Starter

I went to theunlockr.com and found the video(s) on how to use Rav's recovery image. I already had the flash recovery application installed. When I tried to update from a custom image i got "Flash failed". This was from an 8 GB sd card about 6 months old. I also tried from a 4 GB sd card that is 3 weeks old. Again I got "Flash failed".

Odd note, when I used the 4 GB sd card I attempted to backup the recovery image. I got "Backup failed".

Conclusion: I don't think it is the difference of a new or old sd card. It might be that I already have the recovery image CM 1.4 + JF. Or that my phone is really mad at me.

Thanks for all the help. I'm a bit angered, but still persistent.

Any ideas?

5. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Try backing up all the files on the sdcard to your PC .... then Format your SDcard to FAT32 ....

then copy your files back onto the sdcard and try again ...

6. TexasPriest

TexasPriest Active Member

My apologies is this has been posted before. I am trying to upgrade the sd card in my phone (MT3G), using theunlockr.com instructions found here:

http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/15/how...nd-or-apps2sd/

So here is my problem. I put the new card in the phone and follow the instructions. But when it

7. lanser55

lanser55 New Member

Take a computer , and install linux ubuta , al Your problems are solved .
    You can format a cd card to ext3 , also you can connect your android tablet or Phone to it.
    And copy from a ntfs disk to your device , it is simpel like that .