G2 compared to EVO?General

Last Updated:

1. apocalypse_later

apocalypse_later Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone have experience with both? I have an EVO and I regret buying it. I kinda need a hardware keyboard and I'm getting sick of all the EVO issues like frequent crashes and random battery drains.

The G2 looks real good to me, especially at $99 via Amazon wireless. Anyone have a chance to play with them both? Does the G2 have all the issues that the EVO has? Is T-mobile's "4G" working well in Chicago? Can I use this phone in Europe?

Advertisement
  2. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Seems like a few people are reporting the "reboot" issue, and battery drain is always going to be a factor in weak/no signal areas...regardless of phone/carrier.

The phone will "function" in Europe, depending which carrier you use and coverage area, which will also determine 3G availability.

Pre-paid SIMs seem to be the most cost effective option. However if you plan on using another carrier when abroad, you'll probably have to get the phone's unlock code from T-Mo.

FWIW, I've gotten 7.4Mbs speeds via speakeasy.speedtest.net in my town, in the DC/Balt. corridor, starting last May. But I get little to no signal inside some stores, often dropping to Edge. Out in the parking lot, I go back to full bars 3G. At the house, I was only able to get 900Kbs, up until about a month ago, and now get 3-4Mbs consistently. So I think the build out is ongoing...YMMV.

3. apocalypse_later

I picked up the G2 last night. I like the form factor, but I wish the screen was a little larger perhaps 4 inches like the Galaxy. So far my speed tests have been showing 3.5mbps which is pretty good. HSDPA+ in Chicago looks good so far but I did notice it fluctuating between EDGE, 3G, and HSDPA+. I don't like how the H icon means either UMTS or HSDPA+. I'd prefer to know if its on + or not without looking at "about phone." The email client also can do Activesync with Hotmail, which is pretty awesome, but it doesn't seem to be able to handle HTML mail, just text.

Its a very responsive and stable phone and my complaints so far are very minor. From what I can tell data roaming is free, so I enabled that. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, can someone verify the headphone jack is a standard 3.5mm jack? I've read conflicting reports that its proprietary and normal headphones and cables won't work with it.

4. Corejam178

Corejam178 New Member

5. apocalypse_later

Thanks for the heads up. So that 3.5mbps speed was just UTMS? Nice.

The only issue I'm having now is that the phone loses data connectivity and the only way to get connectivity back is to switch to airline mode and switch back to regular mode. Does this sound defective, I have 13 more days to do a return.

6. ckaplin

ckaplin New Member

They are currently testing with great success HSPA+ in Chicagoland area. I know they are testing in Lake Zurich right now and gettin great speeds. It has yet to come south of 90 yet as I am in Hoffman / Schaumburg. So it will be full live soon from what I have been told.

7. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Well-Known Member

i live in Plainfield, sorta by naperville/aurora. On my way to the local mall i did a random speed test at a red light and fot about 4.8mb down and 1mb up.

btw apparently when its on HSPA+ there will be an H+ icon. H is just regular.

8. djsinco

djsinco Well-Known Member

Also, can someone verify the headphone jack is a standard 3.5mm jack?

Nearly 2 weeks later, the answer, is YES!

9. ArthurIhde

ArthurIhde Well-Known Member

G2 is not bad [​IMG]

10. LickTheEnvelope

LickTheEnvelope Well-Known Member

Yes it's 3.5 mm.:cool: