• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help G2 not detected by ADB

Hexadecimus

Mar 14, 2012
I'm trying to root the phone, but I can't get adb. This is a stock Verizon VS980 hardware 1.0, running stock VS98027A. I'm running Win7 x64 with ADB working for other phones.

"adb devices" comes up blank no matter what I do. If I choose Ethernet under PC Connection (which is supposed to be the correct option for ADB), it connects as an installer, then a moment later it reconnects as MTP. The option in the menu changes on the screen when it does this. The phone shows up with Internal Storage accessible as R/W.

I've tried other ports on the same and on other USB headers, different cables. That doesn't seem to be the problem since it connects properly to access the phone's internal storage. I've tried older drivers (2.11.1) the newest I've found (2.20.0) as well as the drivers on the device when it connects as an installer (I didn't check the version number).

Any ideas? I'm stumped. Thanks.

Edit: It looks like Verizon's upgrade assistant isn't recognizing the phone either, but the drivers are installed and it clearly is connecting or I couldn't access files...

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, like I said ADB is working perfectly with other phones including other LGs and other Verizon devices. Unless you mean there's some oddball extra driver that this particular phone needs beyond ADB and its USB drivers...

It's showing as a USB Mass Storage Device when it connects as an installer. When it changes to MTP by itself (regardless of how I've set the phone to connect) it appears as a "Portable Device" type named "VS980 4G", under USB Root Hub so those drivers must not be installed or configured correctly.

Where in Iowa are you?

Upvote 0
I did t read your post close enough, I'm surprised those 2.20 drivers aren't working. Perhaps try the Koush Universal adb driver and if that doesn't work, I've had good luck intalling pdanet which comes packaged with adb/fastboot drivers. Shouldn't even have to run the program, the drivers will be present on your machine upon download. Typically the next plug/unplug will auto install them from that background or worst case after a PC reboot. The pdanet drivers are often the only ones that work for fastboot mode on many G2's. Des Moines.

Upvote 0
I got some groceries, and 90 min later it was still switching itself between MTP and instsaller. After replugging a dozen more times, waiting several minutes each time, it finally started working. I had already tried removing devices, forcing the drivers to reinstall, everything. It's odd. And it an intermittent connection in the USB socket either. It's odd. It's still always connecting as an installer, then switches to MTP, and i haev to manually change to Ethernet, but then it gives me the debug notification and ADB/fastboot works. On to rooting/TWRP without having a touchscreen... :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones