G2 random rebootsSupport

Last Updated:

1. snowdog2000

snowdog2000 New Member This Topic's Starter

I've had my G2 since Oct 6th. Since then, it has rebooted/restarted a number of times for no apparent reason. Note when this happens, it goes to the G2 splash screen not the white HTC startup screen and the "uptime" in system status remains unchanged. However, I have experienced app corruption on more than on occasion requiring a factory reset.

There is a 6 page thread over on the T-mobile forums and a 7 page thread at xda-developers regarding this, but nobody seems to have any other ideas. A number of people have had their phone replaced.

I suspect that this is happening to a larger number of people, since it is very difficult to tell if it has occurred without actually watching it happen.

None of the major Android blogs are mentioning it either, seeming more concerned with reporting about your inability to permanently root your phone.

I am curious if anybody here may be seeing this as well.

Advertisement
  2. sho95

sho95 Well-Known Member

Its a issue with signal which causes to restart. My friends phone did it this morning like 3 times.

3. AlphaDomingo

AlphaDomingo Member

Yes mine did this as well. It happens when you lose all signal with your phone and then your phone encounters a T-Mobile signal thus your phone starts getting T-Mobile's information and it reboots. I drove across Oregon and Washington in placs with no signal and it did it each time.

4. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

hopefully this will be fixed with an update... sounds like serious problem...

5. zuludelta9

zuludelta9 Member

I have that occasionally. Yeah, around low-service area. I haven't checked uptime though. I'll do that if I remember...

6. blkidea

blkidea Active Member

I think it does "restart" when there is a low signal. I've noticed that when I'm at school, where I don't have good reception is when it has restarted the most often. I hope they fix it because it is an awesome phone.

7. ShawnOwens

ShawnOwens Member

Happened to me while I was going in and out of repection in a brick building. I've had the phone for about 4 days.

8. WarBird87

WarBird87 Well-Known Member

i had the phone restart about 4 times in the past hour... if it is because of no signal that would make sense because here at work where i sit i get crappy signal... i did have to pull the battery one time because upon it restarting something with google FC'ed and it was like FCing its self and it wouldnt turn off or do anything... so i had to pull it... seems to be working like normal now though

9. ShawnOwens

ShawnOwens Member

Make that two times now.

I think it may have more to do with the data signal rather than the cell signal. Mine just rebooted about 5 minutes ago while I had a full cellular signal and a REAL choppy data signal. It rebooted while I tried running a speed test.

10. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a phone rebooting based on signal loss.... definitely a major bug... :(

11. promet

promet New Member

I have been noticing this issue as well. Not only the reboot, but there seem to be a lot of glitchy, "handshake" and network "handoffs" that aren't very well handled on the device.

Heaven forbid, for instance, that I'm listening to streaming audio on a WiFi connection and absent mindedly stroll outside without deactivating the WiFi, and start negotiating a cell signal. the streaming audio app freezes (tested with several different apps), effectively freezing the phone. Often it will require a reboot to regain "stability".

Also, when walking and listening to streaming audio, the phone seems to "hiccup" quite a bit during (what I assume are) cell "handoffs". Luckily this only requires an app restart. Still, mmmmmmm, not cool.

Don't get me wrong. I am, generally, pretty impressed with the G2, and I'm learning to work around its quirky behavior. I am mainly stating these things with the hope that some one who matters in G2 development may get wind of them.

I do recall the first couple of months on the G1, though, were a little "bumpy", and they seemed to smooth it out eventually. Hopefully they are hustling with some adjustments to the G2.

I also wonder if these issues lie in the device or might have more to do with T-Mobile's HSPA+ network being glitchy...

Anywho, my two cents... :rolleyes:

12. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Well-Known Member

i've never had any cell handoff problems and i stream music in my car all day during work.. I also havent had a problem with leaving the wifi on and then walking out of the wifi zone and going back to cell signal.

I would like to point out that i had to exchange my G2 three times before i got an acceptable one.

13. promet

promet New Member

Hmmmm, I live in NYC, must be the "Concrete Canyon" effect. This wasn't the case, a least not to an obvious degree, with the G1 though. I suppose it could be a thin distribution of HSPA vs. 3G, 2G, etc. towers...

I'm confident it will improve though...

14. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Well-Known Member

i just couldnt be happy enough with the G2 and my wife wasnt diggin it either after using the vibrant so we used the buyers remourse.

I was getting a bit sick of samsung phones and t-mo so i went to verizon and got the Droid X

15. WarBird87

my phone rebooted a few times today, at my work i dont get great signal if any at all and when i walked outside it wasnt picking up a signal and rebooted...

16. Chepe714

Chepe714 Member

Iv Never had this problem with my G2 and hopefully won't :|

17. hipster7929

hipster7929 Well-Known Member

Has happened to me twice, once the other day and 10 minutes ago, receiveda call then it rebooted.

18. hipster7929

Happened to me again. wasn't using the phone. Just me or does anyone else see problems when having wifi on ^ had wifi on when last reboot occurred

19. hipster7929

A little while ago my phone went to the htc screen and was strobing.......disco on my g2, went from 4slides to the g2 overall very pleased with the g2 but these reboots and wifi messing with my service is bumming me out

20. blkidea

blkidea Active Member

I got mine replaced and the new one has continued to do it, but it doesn't do it often enough that it is annoying. Though I hope t-mobile or htc fixes this.

21. hipster7929

Just happened AGAIN on my way to work. got a text went to unlock, froze, rebooted.

22. WarBird87

happend to me again today aswell i was int he middle of typing a message and it rebooted

23. hipster7929

Annnnnnnnnd again.this time it was when I tried opening a bookmarked page from my home screen. Ugh.

24. ShawnOwens

ShawnOwens Member

25. blkidea

blkidea Active Member

Yeah OTA is suppose to fix this bug. I did the manual update so I'm going to see if this gets fixed. G2 still rocks!