• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

G3 or not?

I haven't touched a Droid Turbo, so I can only look at things from one side. Spec wise, the Droid Turbo trumps the G3 at processor speed, battery life and camera resolution. OTH, the Turbo is a lot bigger and heavier than the G3 yet has a smaller screen and it's camera lacks OIS. The G3 while still a premium device is a bit older and should be much cheaper. Price being equal, I would lean towards the Turbo. Still, the touch is the thing and going to a Verizon store and playing with both will help clarify things. Never underestimate the "feel in the hand" aspect, as that's what you'll do for a year or more. Then go home (or out to your car), shun the instant gratification effect and buy the phone cheaper online!!!

FWIW, I'm very satisfied with my G3 and have no plans to replace it anytime soon. While it doesn't have the battery life of a Turbo (which apparently doesn't have the battery life it touts either), it's more than enough to get me through a full day which is all I need . The screen is great and viewable in direct sunlight with no issue. I use Nova Launcher and have experienced no lag issues. The camera is the easiest I've had to use which means I'm using it more. With easy rooting and a few tweaks, I have a device that though still on 4.4.3, appears to be 5.0. I'm still getting "what phone is that" comments from people, so it's not "old hat" just yet.

Upvote 0
I had a Turbo for a few weeks. It started having screen issues so I went to a Note 4. Last week I bought my dad a G3 and in my limited use, it "feels" quicker than the Turbo. Also the battery seems pretty good. It has a bigger screen, but still feels good in the hand. Lastly, the camera is miles ahead of the Turbo IMO. I really wanted the Turbo since I heard about it (I was coming from a Droid Maxx), but it didn't turn out to be the phone for me. Still a good phone, but I prefer both the G3 and the Note 4 to it.

Reactions: SteveO_148
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones