• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help G3s and G3 screen

cosmia2

Lurker
Jan 24, 2015
I realise this is the G3 forum, but I couldn't see one for the G3s / G3 beat and thought maybe someone here may have a view on this...

I got the G3s a few days. It's a good phone apart from one thing: the feel of the screen. It feels like it's plastic. It's quite soft when pressed down on and flexes. For the last two years I've used the HTC One X and that felt like solid glass.

Has anyone used the G3s and have a view on this? I don't know if I've got a faulty one or if it's just like this. And does the GS itself have a solid glass screen?

Thanks for the responses. Could you explain though what you mean by not as sturdy a setup? Would gorilla glass not feel the same for each phone?
I read on a tech website review that unlike the G3, the G3s doesn't have Gorilla glass. Do you think it's different between the US and UK versions? Or maybe the review was just incorrect about it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses. Could you explain though what you mean by not as sturdy a setup? Would gorilla glass not feel the same for each phone?
I read on a tech website review that unlike the G3, the G3s doesn't have Gorilla glass. Do you think it's different between the US and UK versions? Or maybe the review was just incorrect about it.
There's often disagreement on sites whether Gorilla Glass is used. Whatever it is, I'm fairly certain that won't vary by region, manufacturing variations is expensive enough as it is.

Gorilla Glass isn't stiff or break-proof (my wife just broke her M8 display, it's definitely GG3) - it's merely scratch resistant.

Your One X had a polycarbonate back and metal frame. So - I'd attribute the feel you're experiencing to the frame - what I call the overall setup - and the screen's relationship to the rest of the chassis. Glass thickness could also be a factor.

The stiffer the phone, the smoother the glass is going to feel.

So far as I know, the only plastic displays out right now are made by Sharp I think.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

HIGH POSSIBILITY the review was in error.
I just finished reading an article (published yesterday) from GOTTA BE MOBILE on the LG G FLEX2 & its predecessor was cited in the article as having a 5.7" display.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/01/22/lg-g-flex-2-release-date-confirmed/

POBODY's NERFECT:p
That is incorrect,even after more than a year after the G FLEX was released,as it has a 6" display.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones