• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

alfick3

Android Expert
Feb 7, 2011
DFW, TX
So I'm considering getting this in the 80 250GB version. I was looking on the Amazon site and there are some reviews that talk about it being glitchy and the screen being unresponsive. Have any of you, who have it, encountered this? Those of you who do have it, what do you think? Has the ICS update, mentioned in a different thread, happened yet? Or any word of it? I really like the looks of it, and it seems (from the specs) to be a nice tablet.

I've got the 8GB flash version and I really like it. It has a nice feel in your hands, just the right size. I also have the Acer Iconia A500 10.1 inch, so this is more compact. A hard disc drive would lag over flash memory, but then you have all the hard drive space.

Touching the left rear of the tablet tends to cause smearing on the screen in front of it and this is a known issue. I guess they made the plastic a little too thin. It is a cheaper tablet and this isn't a constant or big thing, so it's not really the end of the world.

The flash version I think is great. If they'd have had the HDD version when I bought mine, that's what I would've got instead.

Just my opinion...

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
Just saw this post. The 250gb models are very slow compared to the other models as the HD has to spin up to access data. The side effect of this is lower battery life as well. My 8 gb unit is now 24 gb. I added a 16gb micro SD. And from what I read there are 64 and 128 versions on the horizon soon.

Thanks for the tips. Speed and battery life decrease make sense. I'm getting mine today. We ordered it through Amazon Prime for free shipping and the better return policy. Hopefully we won't have to return it. I'm really looking forward to getting it, and hopefully it will already have ics on it.

Edit: correct a miss typed word (auto correct made it fire instead of for).

Upvote 0
I too heard (and suspected) that the 250GB model would be slower, which is why I went for the 16GB model. Added a 16GB SD card. Think that will be plenty for what I need. Really pleased with it.

Woo hoo! Got it. It did have Honeycomb. I'll do the update soon. When I first got it booted up, it told me there was a firmware update, but it failed to download. I'll probably try it again later, or just do the download through the computer.

It seems speedy enough, even with the hard drive.

Upvote 0
So I'm really liking this tablet. I did the manual upgrade to ICS; I down loaded from the web and then connected my tablet to the computer and sent the upgrade file over the the tablet. Worked like a charm. I haven't had occasion to test out some of the know problems; ie some have mentioned that the gps seemed to stop working properly.

Upvote 0
Nice one. Hope you enjoy it. I think they are fab for the price.

So what is top of your list to put onto it?

Actually, we'll be using it mostly for my kids. We homeschool them, so they needed something small and more portable to do school work on. We also needed a flash capable tablet for Web pages. Having the hard disk was a bonus for space.

Upvote 0
Awesome, glad its working for you. Ics definitely speeds up the unit for sure. I'm using high rate sd cards in my tablet. Keep us updated.

So over the last couple of days, the tablet has locked up and rebooted itself a couple of times. Not too sure of the circumstances, except that my children were using the browser.

Upvote 0
Its a known issue with the browser. Mine does the same thing. I started using chrome browser, but I found it bloated and slow. I am using the stock browser and i just deal with the minor lock up issue for now. everything else on the system is great.

Im glad to hear the 250gb unit is working fast.

Thanks for the info on the browser lock ups. I went and down loaded both chrome and skyfire and will play with both to see which I like best. My wife and I use skyfire on our Optimus M phones and really like it, so we'll see.

Upvote 0
Dolphin and Opera browsers are also highly recommended.

I loaded dolphin pad browser the other day. I also decided to downgrade back to the last firmware for Honeycomb that Archos put out. I was doing some reading on the ICS upgrade and with my experience of getting to many lockups on ICS decided it was best to back track my firmware.

Upvote 0
I am running mine with the latest ICS firmware on it. Had it since the beginning of January and it has only crashed once in that time (whilst using the browser.) There was an issue when playing games on ICS that caused the one finger on the screen to be "forgotten" making games like 3D Tank Recon unplayable, but the last releases have fixed all that.

Struggling to find a downside to this product at the price. I got the 16GB turbo dual core one for a little over

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones