Gaining root after the Froyo official OTA

Last Updated:

1. literacolax

literacolax Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK, some of us have the OTA update, and some of us got the update by downloading the update.zip (I downloaded the update from here.)

Froyo is nice however it is not clean. There is so much bloatware on this that i cant wait to get rooted again so i can get rid of all of it.

Has anyone done this yet? Can it be done yet?

Advertisement
  2. taris300

taris300 Well-Known Member

this should be in the root section, but its all good.
    to answer your question, no we can't as of yet. someone did try, and it failed to root.
    and on unrevoked's site:
    "At this time, unrevoked3 does NOT work on stock Froyo (Android 2.2) phones."

I can't wait for root tho, like you said, too much bloatware

3. literacolax

Sorry, maybe one of the mods will move it to the root section, kind of new at making threads.... Hopefully someone finds a loophole soon cant wait to get rid all of the nonsense, why does verizon feel the need to throw in VZ navigator when google maps is free and works better?

4. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

I thought it was possible to downgrade back to 2.1 then get s-off and get root. i read that.

5. literacolax

I read that also, but i also heard doing this is not guaranteed to keep your phone safe from bricking...

6. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

7. taris300

it is possible yes, I guess I just assumed the OP didn't wanna go through the downgrading process, and having to restart from scratch. But yes you are right, it is possible to downgrade, then use the RUU to get both root and stock 2.2

8. taris300

I downgraded after installing the previous leak a few months back, and it wasn't that bad. There was a good video someone put on youtube and it was very helpful:
    http://androidforums.com/incredible...ideo-howto-unroot-incredible-downgrading.html
    that guy has a bunch of helpful Incredible videos.
    But essentially you would use the same process in the video and in that guide to downgrade, then follow the guides on here of how to go from 2.1 to fully root 2.2:
    http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/162100-stock-2-1-fully-rooted-froyo-2-2-a.html

While I do want root, i'm willing to wait for unrevoked to come out with their one click root to include 2.2

9. literacolax

I want root also, and I think I'll wait on unrevoked too - They're reliable and ive already gone through the downgrading once just to get froyo OTA. I dont feel like completely rebuilding my phone from scratch again this week. I'll be patient........for a while.

taris300 likes this.
  10. SynisterWolf

SynisterWolf Well-Known Member

Just use the custom recovery if you were rooted before and it will come back. I have root on 2.2

11. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

if your on stock 2.2 at this point I'd wait for the revoked people, the "rumor" is there is a exploit that wasn't fixed, so hopefully they'll have something in a couple weeks

12. literacolax

Well if you have root on 2.2, do you have any custom roms? if so are they good? also, have you gotten rid of the bloatware?