Galaxy Android hacking

Last Updated:

1. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK, I know I'm a noob (some might say nob), but I've been hanging around on #i7500 and fancy getting into poking around with some of the stuff that's being talked about regarding android 2.x on the galaxy. The problem is I have no idea where to start.

So the big question is what am I going to need to get into it?
    Treat me like an idiot, because I am. I pretty much know nothing right now so if someone could take some time to give a run down of the basics that would be very much appreciated.

For starters.... Do I need to be running Linux? If so, should it be on the metal or will a VM do? I can do either. I have some experience with Debian and Ubuntu, so getting a system running is not a problem. I assume I will need the Samsung sources and Google's android 2.0 sources. What other software will I need? I see talk of an arm tool chain, so I guess I'll be needing that?

I know this is a big ask, but if I can get a bit of info to get the ball rolling, I can ask more sensible questions as I get more with it. Some stuff I'm sure I'll be able to find my own way (Google) with, I just need someone to throw me a rope to get started. :)

I shall continue to lurk on the #i7500 channel because I feel there's stuff to learn there, even for me.

I can help by making donations, I just don't feel very involved and I would like to be.

Thanks for any offers of help/pity, I'll take anything I can get.

Regards Terry.

Advertisement
  2. screaminbug

screaminbug Well-Known Member

Don't consider this post as the answer to your question, because I'm as confused as you are about all this. But I can tell you what I know so far.

So. They say it's best to use Linux. It doesn't have to be on metal. VM will do. On this link there is a guide on how to build a kernel for Galaxy. I had some troubles with it, but finally I managed to build it, so if you get stuck, maybe I can help.

And there my knowledge of this subject pretty much stops. :) I know the ROM is not just kernel. There are libraries, application framework, runtime and who knows what :) on top of it. How to make all that into a ROM image that is flashable I have no idea. Have been searching to find some info on that, but found nothing useful.

So I will too ask anyone who knows a bit more about all that stuff to give us some hint. Anything will do: some link, tip, rumor. :)

Thanks

3. informale

informale Well-Known Member

Guys, you might have missed that I suppose.

I think you should join the site and the channel mentioned in the quote.

4. screaminbug

Yep. Already did that yesterday (and currently on #I7500). Site is still empty for the moment. But isn't there some prerequisites to participate on there. That's to at least know the (how shall I put it...) advanced basics(TM) :)

I can imagine how annoying it would be for the guys that know this stuff well if someone would constantly keep pestering them with questions like this on IRC. :) So we ask here. Where everyone can read it anytime.

5. informale

informale Well-Known Member

6. Terry

Cool, that receptorBlog link looks like a big help. I think I'll start there, thanks screaminbug for that. I'll continue to lurk on freenode.net #i7500 picking up bits of info here and there, and besides it's quite entertaining at times. screaminbug, I feel the same about asking this stuff on irc, it was setup for devs to collaborate, not to waste time answering questions such as mine.

informale: I did check out that site but the i7500 forum is empty, having said that I guess a lot of what I want to find out at this stage applies quite generally and not just to the i7500. I will look again with this in mind.

Cheers guys. Appriciate the help. :D

7. screaminbug

There's no one there. And now DNS even won't resolve it's hostname.

Code (Text):
    1. tomislav@Studio:~$ nslookup http://www.sdx-developers.com
    2. Server:     192.168.1.254
    3. Address:    192.168.1.254#53
    5. ** server can't find http://www.sdx-developers.com   NXDOMAIN
    So you think this is not the right a place to ask this kind of questions. Well, maybe you're right (this is not a dev forum, after all). But I can't think of a better place right now as all this porting 2.0 to galaxy enthusiasm is going on. :)

8. screaminbug

Yep. Android in general. Be sure to post any new findings. I'll do the same.

9. Terry

No name resolving issues here, SDX site still loads up fine for me.

No, I think this forum is the place to ask these questions. I was saying the #i7500 irc channel isn't the place for me right now, not with my noob questions. :eek: I just lurk....

I will be sure to post anything I find that others treading this path may find of use.

I'm currently installing ubuntu 9.10 (32 bit) and hitting google for more general android info.

Thanks again for the help :)

10. Terry