• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Battery Life

Streaming pandora with the screen off shouldn't be that demanding on the battery, and that 1hr streaming was only 3% of the drainage according to that status indicator.

regardless to the screen being off, the app is still running in the background... and its using your radio, hence android OS probably using a good portion of your battery. But I guess I just see no problem with only getting 6-8 hours out of a battery. I use my phone a good amount and do not expect it to last all day. But to each its own. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Reactions: mumfoau
Upvote 0
gn_ss_02.png
gn_ss_hist01.png

Upvote 0
I was able to get 9 hours today, at work so will post screen shot maybe when I get home.

I used it heavily today, 1 hr Netflix (Blackhawk Down), about 20 minutes on the Victoria Secret app streaming video goddesses to my phone :D Lots of camera use (showing off zero shutter to employees), internet surfing, lots of text, some YouTube to show off HD display, and some email. I have my brightness set to auto.

Also, I will update OP, yesterday I had live wallpapers on, didn't realize I did for almost the entire time, too busy playing with my new toy :p

Took off charging this morning at 7am and powered off on me at 4pm, currently charging.

Upvote 0
I turned off locations services, wifi and sync. I charged it to 100%. I made sure no apps were running in the background and I went to bed.

I woke up six hours later and the battery was completely dead.

This phone is a piece of shit.

Great specs and I love the UI, but if it can't hold a charge it may as well be a $300+ paperweight. Called Samsung customer service - they have no intention of standing behind their product. Now they want you to spend $50 extra to buy an additional battery? Ridiculous.

Upvote 0
I turned off locations services, wifi and sync. I charged it to 100%. I made sure no apps were running in the background and I went to bed.

I woke up six hours later and the battery was completely dead.

This phone is a piece of shit.

Great specs and I love the UI, but if it can't hold a charge it may as well be a $300+ paperweight. Called Samsung customer service - they have no intention of standing behind their product. Now they want you to spend $50 extra to buy an additional battery? Ridiculous.

Wow, that is horrible. It sounds like their is something wrong with your phone/battery/other. I too would not be so happy with my costly investment.

So far, I am very pleased, to get 9 hours today with very heavy use I am pleased. Much better than my Dinc.

Hopefully you will find a solution to correct the problem, wither it be by searching the forums for help or returning for something else.

Upvote 0
First full day with G Nex on stock battery. Charged it up all the way at some point last night, screwed around a bit before bed, then hit the hay.

Woke up at 6 this morning, battery was at 80-some percent. Got ready for work and drove up there with the phone on my car charger, unplugged it as I got into work at about 7am - fully charged.

Had a realistic work day. Was I streaming HD YouTube for hours on end? No. I was at work - working. Did a little browsing, downloaded some new apps, checked up with email and apps, did some setup of my home screens, handful of calls, etc. 3G coverage in the office, 4G when I was out for lunch and later on my commute home. Got to my place a little after 5, and was on Wifi here in my apartment for an hour until 630 when I snapped this.

Result:
Screenshot_2011-12-16-18-47-16.png

11.5 hours to burn through 70%, which projects out to 16.5 hours to hit 100% (or probably more appropriately 14.5 to get to 90%). I can't complain with that. Pretty good for casual use IMO. Currently charging it back up a bit, going to take a walk around the area and see how the 4G coverage is... probably listen to some tunes, maybe watch a couple videos. Then the real test will be this weekend when I can screw around with it constantly, should I so desire.

Edit - Incidentally that's with no "tweaking" or whatever, not even screen brightness. Just a normal day's use with the stock phone.

Upvote 0
Very nice battery life J-Tom.

Question about charging the phone...It has been about 45 mintues since I started charging my phone after it drained down completly, it is currently reading 71% which does not seem right to me. I would assume it would take longer to charge up. I am using the stock charger it came with and have it plugged into the wall.

Upvote 0
I took mine off the charger last night at 100%, around 12am. I slept until like 9, and used the phone for texts and calls all day. The phone died around 3pm after I played angry birds for a while to try to get it to die.

I don't really see much of a problem, I'm used to horrific battery life after my incredible. Charger at home? check. Charger at work? check. Charger in car? check.

Thus is the life of a smartphone user

Reactions: Dex and connor11493
Upvote 0
Yeah that is what I would realistically expect and describes my basic usage day as well. I bought the phone at Costco. Of course, they can't replace it because they are now out of stock. Verizon won't replace it, because even though I signed another 2 years with them and the phone is branded with their name, I didn't buy it with them. I called Samsung Mobile customer service and they told me that I could mail it to them and they would fix it and mail it back, with a 3 week turnaround. Totally ridiculous. I'm kind of very pissed off right now. Not sure if I want another Samsung product ever. Also good to know that after 10 years and $20K Verizon doesn't give a shit about their customers. Glad to know that it isn't every phone and I have a lemon. Searching forums I did find two other posts with my exact issue though. Not a confidence builder in Samsung.

Upvote 0
Yeah that is what I would realistically expect and describes my basic usage day as well. I bought the phone at Costco. Of course, they can't replace it because they are now out of stock. Verizon won't replace it, because even though I signed another 2 years with them and the phone is branded with their name, I didn't buy it with them. I called Samsung Mobile customer service and they told me that I could mail it to them and they would fix it and mail it back, with a 3 week turnaround. Totally ridiculous. I'm kind of very pissed off right now. Not sure if I want another Samsung product ever. Also good to know that after 10 years and $20K Verizon doesn't give a shit about their customers. Glad to know that it isn't every phone and I have a lemon. Searching forums I did find two other posts with my exact issue though. Not a confidence builder in Samsung.

Can you wait for Costco to get more in stock? I would not think it would take very long until then.

Another option is file a desput with your bank/credit card company you used to make the purchase. Under Visa and MasterCard you have a buyer protection clause. I would look in the terms of this and give them a call. If it was a debit card, as long as it has a Visa or MC logo on it and you ran as credit you can still qualify under their credit card protection. I really hope it doesn't come to that for you, hopefully Costco takes care of you.

Upvote 0
Very nice battery life J-Tom.

Question about charging the phone...It has been about 45 mintues since I started charging my phone after it drained down completly, it is currently reading 71% which does not seem right to me. I would assume it would take longer to charge up. I am using the stock charger it came with and have it plugged into the wall.

Plugged mine back in at 630pm (as I started writing that earlier post). Was at 29% then. Roughly an hour later, I'm at 72%. Likewise I am using the standard wall charger. Seems like yours charges awfully quick, but I'd say wait to see when it gets to 100% and see if it can maintain that rate.

I'm probably going to put together a G-Music playlist or two here, let the phone get up to 80% and then take a stroll on a nice evening here in NC in the mid 50's.

Upvote 0
I wonder if you guys notice the same thing: my battery indicator stops at 99% even after a whole day of charging. Why can't it reach 100%?

Without using the phone after having charged at 99% (no calls / surfing / tinkering, etc.), no apps running in the background, wi-fi off, gps off, the battery drained after 4 days. Is that acceptable?

Other than this, the phone is awesome, love it!

Reactions: fotroofgrl
Upvote 0
I wonder if you guys notice the same thing: my battery indicator stops at 99% even after a whole day of charging. Why can't it reach 100%?

Without using the phone after having charged at 99% (no calls / surfing / tinkering, etc.), no apps running in the background, wi-fi off, gps off, the battery drained after 4 days. Is that acceptable?

Other than this, the phone is awesome, love it!

That's strange no 100% after a whole day, just 99%. I have not had that, mine went to 100% in the battery settings and on the lock screen said "charged".

I would think 4 days untouched is acceptable to fully drain. I can sometimes get 7 days or so on my Transformer off the charger and of course untouched and unused.

Upvote 0
VZW SGN here (need to specify which version you have here, there's madness in the non-cdma/LTE versions already!)

Just checked...6h 28m 7s on battery. 72% battery left.

This is running after the 3rd charge. My first and second went down MUCH faster since Android could not collect accurate battery stats.

Very nice, I am excited for this thrid charge/day.

I was a little off on my time of charging an hour or so ago. Phone has been charging for 2 hours and is right now at 99%

Upvote 0
This is the difference I am noticing between people who say they have good battery life and bad...

People who actually use there phone a lot = bad battery life, 4hrs a day of actual usage we will say is a lot for this instance. Most prior phones non-4g would give you this easily. Its a big change and we will have to get used to it or stick with 3g(I returned mine, going back to iphone as i think the battery problems are more than just 4g)

People who say there battery is good = They say they use it very little and then show these 10hrs plus android stats from the battery screen. It means nothing when you post that as its not showing your actual usage time.

Basically i think everyone has different opinions of what equals a lot of phone using time, there seem to be a ton of people here who barely use the phone, maybe a few text, emails and some light browsing for maybe a total of 1hr per day. Then you have users like me who are constantly looking stuff up(work related for manuals, documents, diagrams ect..) that could use there phone upwards of 6hrs per day actual usage time.

Upvote 0
I highly recommend the extended battery. Helps give the extra juice and adds a bit of weight to the phone to make it feel like it's worth something. When a phone feels light and plastic-y, it makes it feel cheap IMO. The extra weight gave it a solid feel, and it hardly even affected the thickness, just got rid of the small hump on the bottom, making it flush.

Upvote 0
Very nice, I am excited for this thrid charge/day.

I was a little off on my time of charging an hour or so ago. Phone has been charging for 2 hours and is right now at 99%

And this was pulling off the charger and hitting up the xmas party this afternoon! Everyone was checking it doing who knows what!

I even got a few work calls and checked some of my forums that have live chat.

Even have that extra bookface sync thing that doesn't pull phone numbers in that's still running.

I also use some other stuff like heytell, foursquare (I'm the watercooler mayor in real life at places!), etc etc... so I get notifications all the time, and do what I would call "alot".

YMMV, some people just leave the screen on all day and expect it to work 300 hours without a charger, lol :D:D

Upvote 0
I got one of the duds, I guess. Charged fully this morning. Went to work, never touched the phone until nine hours later. Phone dead :mad:

To say I'm not pleased with the battery life thus far is an understatement.

lol WAT?

it proves my theory then ...the phone has something going on with it that is killing the battery. I don't think i could go 2hrs without checking my phone so i give you props on that at least! :)

It was amazing though i would constantly check the battery as i was using the phone and i pretty much figured that it drops 1% per every minute of usage, sometimes 2%!!

Reactions: connor11493
Upvote 0
Another brief update... had my phone charged back up to 85%. Couldn't take any more of my upstairs neighbors' hellspawn little dogs barking and yipping non stop, so I went out for a walk in the drizzle.

Started out my apartment and thought about how I could strain the battery pretty hard. 4G was on (3 bars consistently here in Huntersville when out and about)... so I put on Netflix! Came in pretty crisp and uninterrupted, and watched Bill Shatner kick the crap out of some 60's aliens for 10 minutes before figuring I probably look like a clown walking around outside watching TV.

Switched the Google music and put on a playlist, kept that going the rest of the time as I went to Starbucks, picked up a coffee, and walked back. Caught up on some texts and updated 5 apps (absurdly quickly I might add) during that time as well.

Total time out: 40ish minutes. Battery drop during that time: 20%. As an engineer I hate to do big extrapolations with limited data... but that projects out to about 3.5 hours of heavy (effectively non-stop) use. Close to 4 hours if I had the 2100 mAh battery.

I call that pretty good. At the end of the day, it's a phone. A phone that can do a lot of amazing things, but still a phone - not an entertainment center. I have a laptop with an extended battery for work, and I'm lucky to get 2.5-3.0 hours out of it.

All in all I'm pretty content. I'll probably get the extended battery anyway, just for a little extra insurance if I do need to dig deep while out and about.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones