• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus battery saving tips..Post em!

Shockwave78

Android Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2011
NH
What has worked for you so far? I am going on my sEcond charge for the day and when it's done I will probably start tweaking for battery savings. Here is my list off the top of my head..

1. Enable auto brightness - off by default
2. Live wallpaper removal
3. Disable NFC - don't see myself using this anytime soon at all
4. Disable push notifications for gmail
5. Disable gps
6. Disable WIFI when not in use

What else ya got? I will update the post as others have ideas, recommendations ...

GO GO GO!

Reactions: jbdan
6. Disable wifi when not using it?

+1 this one makes a huge diff for me i tested it alot over the past with nexus one , s and then galaxy nexus and with the wifi turned off while not using it could save 5-10% battery life a day. For that i would recommend green power, this app will give you alot more jus a day if you are not using your device alot.

Upvote 0
1. Enable auto brightness - off by default
2. Live wallpaper removal
3. Disable NFC - don't see myself using this anytime soon at all
4. Disable push notifications for gmail
5. Disable gps
6. Disable WIFI when not in use

so disable everything that makes a smartphone a smartphone? we all knew battery was going to suck when getting this phone (everyone should've anyway). :cool:

Upvote 0
Use Tasker (similar to motorola smart actions but way more powerful and has been out forever). You can create scenarios to turn things on and off based on time of day/ day of week, etc.

As an example, M-T 8:15 to 4:55 when I am at work, it turns off bluetooth, gps, and wifi, because I am sitting at my desk. At 455 it turns them all back on.

^This. Tasker is a forgetful/lazy person's best friend.

Upvote 0
Use Tasker (similar to motorola smart actions but way more powerful and has been out forever). You can create scenarios to turn things on and off based on time of day/ day of week, etc.

As an example, M-T 8:15 to 4:55 when I am at work, it turns off bluetooth, gps, and wifi, because I am sitting at my desk. At 455 it turns them all back on.

Is Tasker able to turn on/off 4G radio as well?

Upvote 0
Turning off GPS does nothing. If there are no apps running that are using GPS you won't be wasting any battery.

Live wallpapers only use the battery when they are on screen, so unless you are staring at your home screen for minutes at a time you aren't going to get much out of that one.

Turn off push GMail? Why even bother with the phone.

NFC is another thing that is only active while the phone is awake/screen on, but it shouldn't be a big battery drain. If you have no intention of using it though have a ball.

I have always been a bit sad that leaving wifi/bluetooth on drains as much of the battery as it does. They doesn't seem to efficient at passively scanning for connection.

Upvote 0
Is Tasker able to turn on/off 4G radio as well?

The only option I can find is for it to be able to toggle 2G/3G so until they can incorporate it, nope (unless I'm not seeing it).
It's an insanely powerful app but has a HUGE learning curve. (at least for tech lazies like me :eek:)

Edit: there are some apps/widgets in the Market that can do this. Not sure of them of the top of my head.

Upvote 0
1.If you are always checking your phone, change the screen timeout to the shortest range (15 sec I think).
2.Use a dark colored background instead of a light (white) one.
3. Don't load your homescreens with a bunch of widgets, apps load fast enough.
4. Be careful of apps that run constantly in the background
Widgetlocker and Lookout Security are good examples
5. For the Android noobs in the house, DO NOT USE A TASK KILLER app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones