Galaxy Nexus Jelly BeanSupport

Last Updated:

1. hydarnes

hydarnes Member

Hey guys.I have a Samsung Galaxy nexus I9250.When will the updates come for my phone to install 4.1
    Once I think about 6 weeks ago I had an update message.I thought it was jelly bean but it changed my version from 4.0.2 to 4.0.4

When will jelly bean come?Does anyone know?:confused::confused:

2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

I'm pretty you can download the update yourself. I'm betting its somewhere on these forums.
    hydarnes likes this.
  3. mogelijk

mogelijk Well-Known Member

It sounds as if you have a non-yakju version of Android on your Nexus; Google only is updating takju and yakju. You can find your version by going into the Map app, into Settings>About and see what is listed under Device.

You can use these instructions to change your Nexus to Jellybean and yakju, so that future updates will be pushed by Google.
  4. hydarnes

hydarnes Member

Look If I download the update by my self as you say, Should it be rooted?

If found something.It's about 150 MBs.Is that it????

It is called jelly bean OTA.Should I root?
  5. Gekko

Gekko Well-Known Member

IMO just wait for the official update to come to your phone OTA (Over The Air). you're really not missing that much. enjoy your phone - it's awesome as is.

good luck.
    hydarnes likes this.
  6. mogelijk

The instructions on that webpage, using the Toolkit, makes it very easy. Basically, you will unlock your phone. After the phone is unlocked, you are essentially following the steps to lock the phone again, which includes installing the official version of Jellybean. You also don't need to download Jellybean (though you can) as the toolkit will do it for you. And you do not need to root your phone, despite the fact the process says you are unrooting it.

Also, as I mentioned previously, after following the instructions your phone will be yakju -- the version that automatically updates when Google releases new Android updates for the Galaxy Nexus.
  7. hydarnes

hydarnes Member

Do you know when will the official update come.I see lots of nexus phones have 4.1
  8. rcozzi

rcozzi Well-Known Member

I believe that you are not supposed to do this on a Verizon phone.
  9. gregs887

gregs887 Well-Known Member

Do NOT flash a GSM ROM on your Verizon Nexus. Head over to XDA-Developers and get a Verizon specific copy of 4.1. Using Wugs toolkit will NOT download a CDMA ROM.
  10. mogelijk

Agreed that it should not be done on a Verizon phone (Galaxy Nexus i515). In this case the OP stated they have the Nexus i9250, which is the GSM version.
  11. hydarnes

hydarnes Member

I finally found out why!

Nexus Products are two groups:
    1- Yakju and Takju

the second group still don't have updates and it is going to take a while but if you convert them to Yakju or Takju it will work! If anyone knows how please contact me.
  12. mogelijk

13. Logank

Logank Well-Known Member

You must not have read anything in this thread that mogelijk has posted, which told you almost 4 months ago what you "finally found out why today".

I usually hate to sound like a jerk, but mogelijk not only answered your question but gave you a link to do what you asked about. If you didn't really want the answer why ask the question?
  14. mogelijk

Let's keep it friendly here. People often don't read through the past posts when they post on these older threads and it was easy for me to repost the link.
  15. GSGrHaven

GSGrHaven New Member

I have 2 questions. I need 2 answers. Question #1::: how can I use voice command to make a phone call? I want to be able to say "call Jim's cell phone" and have my phone dial his. It won't do that, but when I'm driving it's kind of necessary.

Question #2):::: for a while my screen would shut off in 3 seconds when I laid it face down. It doesn't do that anymore. How can I make it do that again?
  16. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

3 ways. Either create a shortcut to google search on your home screen (the blue g icon), tap the microphone in the search bar, or Swipe up from the bottom to open Google now. Say "Google" (which will activate voice recognition) "Call Jim Smith Cell". At which time it will bring up Jim Smith's contact. You have about 5 seconds to cancel if it is not the right contact.... otherwise, there is a blue bar beneath it that is basically a countdown timer...which when it reaches the end, will dial the listed contact.

That would be relying on the proximity sensor, but that only works in-call. The minimum screen time-out is 15 seconds otherwise. I've never seen any setup that uses the proximity sensor not in-call.
  17. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

That's actually a really good idea. In theory, it should also prevent the screen from turning on in your pocket, preventing pocket dialing. If the proximity sensor is triggered, it would probably be wise to assume the screen is covered and shouldn't turn or respond to input.

In theory of course.
  18. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

It would also make using the upper portion of the touch screen problematic....