• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Screen Protector

maax555

Lurker
Dec 12, 2011
Hi All, can anyone recommend a screen protector fro this phone?
I have never used a screen protector before so dont know what to expect but would like to think there are no negatives in using a protector.
I dont want the screen to feel any different or the images to suffer.
Most of the ones i have come across (that have reviews) say that the protector is not the exact correct size.
Also i thought a protector would last something like 6 months before needing replacing but i have seen reports that they need changing every 6 weeks or so.
Also i am considering a protective case or coverbut must be very thin and look good.

all recomendations appreciated.

Reactions: rg98356
Do you prefer one to the other?

I've tried Steinheil Ultra Crystal and liked it alot.

Boxwave and Steinheil are top shelf products.
Both almost apply themselves once you place on the device's screen.
Application is virtually bubble free.
I'm ordering both brands.
Boxwave screen protectors have a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee.
I love these REusable screen protectors.
I will say, I haven't had an incident yet where I needed to remove the protector once applied.

Something all should consider...
Lets say something happens to your future G Nex, and you need to ship it back to VzW once you get your replacement.
Instead of having to buy another, or buy a 3 pack, you can simply remove your protector from your original device, rinse it, and apply it to the replacement device.

Upvote 0
Do you prefer one to the other?

Has anyone tried Wrapsol before?

I've tried Steinheil Ultra Crystal and liked it alot.

thank you for this. was trying to remember that name which someone mentioned in another thread but couldn't. i'd like to test the Wrapsol one.
i just emailed them asking if their Ultra goes from edge to edge of the screen. will let everyone know what they say.
i must be honest, though... i've enjoyed not having a screen protector on my phone. whenever i pull it out of my pocket, it's clean because of the Oleo coating and it rubbing against the cotton in said pocket. and the feel of the screen is much better than the plastic of screen protectors.

Upvote 0
I bought screen protectors for my DX off of monoprice for like 1.99 for 3 and they were top quality comparable to steinheils. There is a HUGE profit margin on screen protectors.

Anyone find cheap protectors? I bought some brand name from amazon and the protector is becoming rough from normal use

Upvote 0
ok so i got my XO skin for my galaxy nexus and i'm sorry to say i am EXTREMELY DISSATISFIED and thats an understatement.

I am an extreme perfectionist so i read everything i follow installation instructions to the T and am extremely careful when doing so.

Bottom line the installation isn't really a huge pain in the butt, but after i had it placed perfectly and squeegied out any bubbles with the supplied card (keeping the card and surface moist with application spray as not to have ANY scratches or as XO Skins describes "burn marks" i finally got everything just right. As i went to dry off the screen/protector i noticed that my 4-5 wipes had left scratches on the screen protector.

I used one of those silky/microfiberish cloths that you clean eye-glasses with. Keep in mind i lint rolled the front and back of this cloth before using it to dry off the screen protector ( i said i was a perfectionist) and i didn't use any sort of force or pressure when drying the screen.

Please tell me i must have had a defective protector.

Other points to note would be that if the screen protector is completely straight and the earpeice hole/proximity sensor area/front facing camera holes are all lined up perfectly, the bottom of the screen protector does NOT reach the bottom of the phone, the top is fairly percetly fitted with the protector but it has about 1/8 - 1/4 inch space at the bottom which is uncovered.

Also after it had dried for about 2 or 3 hours i noticed some small bubbles close to the left edge so i put some pressure on them with my thumb carefully to push them passed the edge and get rid of them. i didn't notice at the time but just that slight pressure caused the protector to stretch a bit past the edge of the screen between the screen edge and the bezzle (yes overlapping very slightly over the 1/256th of an inch gap between the screen and the bezzle)

Bottom line is that i am very dissatisfied. I sent an email describing my scratching issues to XO Skins and i hope they help me out and i hope i don't need to pay for the shipping for a new one (that would be a real kick to the guy while i'm already down)

anyone else have issues like this?

EDIT: I also wanted to clear up, i didn't get the one that is made for cases "casefit". figured i would clarify because i know some of you may mention that as being the issue that the bottom isn't fully covered.

Upvote 0
I usually get a Steinheil for whatever phone I have. Had their Ultral Crystal on my Droid X. Was an amazing screen protector.

For my GNexus, I am using the free screen protector that came with my Diztronic case. I basically put it on as a joke.

My thinking: a free screen protector? I have seen these before with other cases I have ordered from other companies. Its just gonna hold me over till I get my Steinheil.

You know what, I am keeping it. Its a really good screen protector. Feels great and is edge-to-edge. Screen quality is not compromised at all.

Great protector that comes with the best case for this phone? Win/Win if you ask me.

Upvote 0
I don't recommend a film for this phone: you will surely lose quality from the HD screen.

They were usefull for older phones, with plastic screen and lower resolution

GN has an equivalent gorilla glass, you can see a test on youtube

also the screen is curved, so this gives an extended protection

more over I would recommend a silicon case like the one I got :
mumbi TPU Skin Case Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250 Silikon
[Case] mumbi Skin silicone Case - Galaxy Nexus - xda-developers
it fits perfectly on the back and has a 1 mm bezel around the screen that protects from drops, the most critical damage.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I borked the installation of the sp that came with my Diz Rev 3 case....might need to order another case just to get the sp and try it.

Since I dont trust myself (I put my phone in my jacket/fleece pockets all the time, who knows what kind of dirt and sand is waiting in there to ruin it!!) I had to put some sort of sp on it. Picked up the Verizon ones and I must say, not a bad deal. The only other locally avail. protector is the Zagg, and for 20.00 I only get one. At least with VZW I got 3 (and the accessory discount thru my wifes job :) )

Im fairly impressed.....very minimal orange peel and the sticky feeling has gone away. Only thing I dont like is that I think it could be a tad longer....doesnt make it quite to the bottom edge of the phone while still lining up the earpiece and camera cutouts.

At least its protected for now....I might try Boxwave, Steinheil or XO when I get a chance.

Upvote 0
dust & sand are not aproblem: watch the video with a key:

If you're confident in your knowledge that sand won't scratch the screen because a key won't, go ahead and test that for us. Maybe even put a recording up on YouTube.

But before you do that, you may wish to check this out:

Mohs scale of mineral hardness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look at where quartz / SiO2 is on that scale. Compare that to the hardness of the metals used in keys.

Actually, please don't test it for us. You absolutely **will** scratch your screen with sand.

Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by giannib
If you're confident in your knowledge that sand won't scratch the screen because a key won't, go ahead and test that for us. Maybe even put a recording up on YouTube.

Look at where quartz / SiO2 is on that scale. Compare that to the hardness of the metals used in keys.

Actually, please don't test it for us. You absolutely **will** scratch your screen with sand.

There's no need to use such sarcastic tone, I'm just losing time trying to help.

Answering to your opinion, using a grain of salt, let me note that such scale must be used in similar conditions, so a stone of comparable dimensions, or sand-paper.
Loose grains of sand have all degrees of freedom and will roll on the surface.

I don't need to test it, I did it, I spend half of the year lying on sand beaches, and never had any injuries.

Let's buy all the protection you want, but try not keep stones in your pocket.

Upvote 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by giannib

There's no need to use such sarcastic tone, I'm just losing time trying to help.

Answering to your opinion, using a grain of salt, let me note that such scale must be used in similar conditions, so a stone of comparable dimensions, or sand-paper.
Loose grains of sand have all degrees of freedom and will roll on the surface.

I don't need to test it, I did it, I spend half of the year lying on sand beaches, and never had any injuries.

Let's buy all the protection you want, but try not keep stones in your pocket.

I have read other forums where members with Gorilla Glass had it scratched by sand
Usually in their pocket or otherwise pressed against the screen
I don't think anyone is claiming that sand just lying on the screen or being sprinkled on it will create scratches. Its the sand PLUS pressure that will cause scratches.

You can set a piece of wood on the beach and nothing happens, but rub sandpaper on it and you scratch the wood and remove material as you rub. Same concept.

You don't have to believe that sand will scratch the screen, but that doesn't make you correct.

Reactions: s.m.knipe
Upvote 0
lickwidravr The scratches you have will go away. This protector self heals unlike others. Any haze or little bubbles go away after it dries. The hanging over the edge seems like an installation error. Mine goes almost to the bottom BARLEY smaller 1/100 of a mm or so. I posted pics in one of these threads and it looks great. I have been using them for years and haven't had issues. I'm sure they will send you another, they have always taken care of me.

Upvote 0
For my GNexus, I am using the free screen protector that came with my Diztronic case. I basically put it on as a joke.

I got this case too and love it. Although I was thinking about cutting out where the volume is. Not sure why they didn't cut that out. Mine is the revision 2. Do you know what the difference is between 2 and 3?

For the screen protector it came with. It did look nice and was excited to put it on. I laid it down and had to adjust a bit. While adjusting and small particle got under it. Of course attempting to clean if off was unsuccessful so in the garbage it went. Since, I've been naked but have gotten use to the screen. I do want to get a screen protector on it though and wouldn't mined giving a dry application another go but I feel more confident with a wet application style screen protector then dry. I just afraid I'll continue to get something under it while applying it. I will not stand for ANYTHING under the screen protector. I'm anal as hell. I mean what is the point of having a protector on a phone when something is impairing the view. I think I may go back to a zagg unless others can recommend something similar but maybe slightly smoother, less orange peel and possibly with less glare. Other then those comments I really did like the zagg on my Incredible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones