• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Screen Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by giannib
dust & sand are not aproblem: watch the video with a key:
If you're confident in your knowledge that sand won't scratch the screen because a key won't, go ahead and test that for us. Maybe even put a recording up on YouTube.

But before you do that, you may wish to check this out:

Mohs scale of mineral hardness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look at where quartz / SiO2 is on that scale. Compare that to the hardness of the metals used in keys.

Actually, please don't test it for us. You absolutely **will** scratch your screen with sand.

There's no need to use such sarcastic tone, I'm just losing time trying to help.

Answering to your opinion, using a grain of salt, let me note that such scale must be used in similar conditions, so a stone of comparable dimensions, or sand-paper.
Loose grains of sand have all degrees of freedom and will roll on the surface.

I don't need to test it, I did it, I spend half of the year lying on sand beaches, and never had any injuries.

Let's buy all the protection you want, but try not keep stones in your pocket.
You are correct in that intrinsic hardness is only about 40% of the equation (also 30% pressure, and 30% lateral force under pressure), and the ability to disperse said forces elsewhere than the pressing screen will REDUCE the scratching that occurs. But there are way too many reports of scratches on the screen for the issue to be so easily dismissed.

Also, grains of salt ("Halite" @ 2 - 2.4 Mohs) are much less of a concern than grains of silica (@ 6.2+ Mohs) ;)

Upvote 0
I got this case too and love it. Although I was thinking about cutting out where the volume is. Not sure why they didn't cut that out. Mine is the revision 2. Do you know what the difference is between 2 and 3?

For the screen protector it came with. It did look nice and was excited to put it on. I laid it down and had to adjust a bit. While adjusting and small particle got under it. Of course attempting to clean if off was unsuccessful so in the garbage it went. Since, I've been naked but have gotten use to the screen. I do want to get a screen protector on it though and wouldn't mined giving a dry application another go but I feel more confident with a wet application style screen protector then dry. I just afraid I'll continue to get something under it while applying it. I will not stand for ANYTHING under the screen protector. I'm anal as hell. I mean what is the point of having a protector on a phone when something is impairing the view. I think I may go back to a zagg unless others can recommend something similar but maybe slightly smoother, less orange peel and possibly with less glare. Other then those comments I really did like the zagg on my Incredible.

The revision3 has cut-outs for the volume and power buttons.

I'm the same way about screen protectors and have gone through 3 already trying to get it just right. I got a 4 pack of the Halo screen covers (they're supposed to be anti-glare and UV, and have dont cover the speaker or front camera), but I keep getting dust or other small particles. So for now, my screen is uncovered (I'm down to 1 left but its at home). I know the glass is supposed to be strong and I'm pretty careful with my phone so I should be ok, but I hate having to put those protectors on.

Reactions: Rdjr74
Upvote 0
This may be a dumb question....but are people's concerns with sand and the phone?

Short of being at the beach....who's putting their phone in their pocket with sand in it to hurt the phone?

I've never understood that.
There is always sediment entrained in the wind (the size of the particle able to be carried by the wind is determined by the energy or "strength" of the current of that wind), it's partially what gives us pretty sunsets and sun rises ;)

Read this, and this focuses on deserts (beaches' surfaces behave like deserts in terms of wind erosion), but it literally is everywhere (even over the mid-ocean salt is entrained on the wind- although salt isn't a problem for touchscreens in terms of scratching), just not as dense as over bare landscapes:
Deserts and Wind

EDIT/ADDENDUM:
Also, these little tiny grains/particles also have slight electro-magnetic charges, so that when they come into contact with some things that also have a slight charge (from static electricity or an electrical current), they will either be attracted to them or repulsed from them, depending upon how the poles line up. Everything from your screen to the lining of your pocket to your finger can have a charge and (literally) be a magnet for particles.

Upvote 0
The revision3 has cut-outs for the volume and power buttons.

I'm the same way about screen protectors and have gone through 3 already trying to get it just right. I got a 4 pack of the Halo screen covers (they're supposed to be anti-glare and UV, and have dont cover the speaker or front camera), but I keep getting dust or other small particles. So for now, my screen is uncovered (I'm down to 1 left but its at home). I know the glass is supposed to be strong and I'm pretty careful with my phone so I should be ok, but I hate having to put those protectors on.

So the revision 3 has the volume cut out. That sounds like the only revision. Mine is rev.2 and does have the power cut out. I'll go ahead and cut the volume out myself, F it. Well, if I have to, I'll stick with the wet application process then. That is if I decide to put one one. I'm extremely careful with my phones as well. I hate doing the dry ones too!

Upvote 0
There is always sediment entrained in the wind (the size of the particle able to be carried by the wind is determined by the energy or "strength" of the current of that wind), it's partially what gives us pretty sunsets and sun rises ;)

Read this, and this focuses on deserts (beaches' surfaces behave like deserts in terms of wind erosion), but it literally is everywhere (even over the mid-ocean salt is entrained on the wind- although salt isn't a problem for touchscreens in terms of scratching), just not as dense as over bare landscapes:
Deserts and Wind

EDIT/ADDENDUM:
Also, these little tiny grains/particles also have slight electro-magnetic charges, so that when they come into contact with some things that also have a slight charge (from static electricity or an electrical current), they will either be attracted to them or repulsed from them, depending upon how the poles line up. Everything from your screen to the lining of your pocket to your finger can have a charge and (literally) be a magnet for particles.

I understand all of that but I've never seen a screen scratched by typical use due to anything like what some people worry about.

Anyone have a good example of a screen that really got destroyed, without dropping it? Because I haven't seen one and I'm not being a smart ass about it, I'd be interested in seeing a screen that was all scratched and ruined due to going in and out of someones pocket.

Upvote 0
I understand all of that but I've never seen a screen scratched by typical use due to anything like what some people worry about.

Anyone have a good example of a screen that really got destroyed, without dropping it? Because I haven't seen one and I'm not being a smart ass about it, I'd be interested in seeing a screen that was all scratched and ruined due to going in and out of someones pocket.

This and a few posts like it buried in other threads are what got me into thinking about this in the first place. That, and the large amount of misinformation being spread around thanks to those worthless key "tests."

EDIT
It got me to thinking that there must be some other as-of-yet unnoticed factor scratching some of these screens, then mine got scratched from a couple loose hay stalks (they "suck" silica/sand out of the soil to give their stalk cells rigidity) that fluttered into my pocket in our barn one Saturday while throwing hay, and that made me think of saltation and entrainment.

Upvote 0
A successful cut out of the volume on my Distronic revision 2.

Attachments

• Distronic_vol_cutout.jpg
    Distronic_vol_cutout.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Distronic_vol_cutout_02.jpg
    Distronic_vol_cutout_02.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0
So the revision 3 has the volume cut out. That sounds like the only revision. Mine is rev.2 and does have the power cut out. I'll go ahead and cut the volume out myself, F it. Well, if I have to, I'll stick with the wet application process then. That is if I decide to put one one. I'm extremely careful with my phones as well. I hate doing the dry ones too!

I keep my phone in my pocket (by itself, with the screen facing my leg) but it looks like the unprotected screen is a lint magnet, and there's a good amount of lint in my pocket.

So I'm going to try putting on a protector when I get home from work. I'll just have to be sure to get all the dust out first.

Upvote 0
I have used Zagg on each of my last 4 phones, with multiple installations due to warranty replacements, and my wife's last two. I have always been pleased with them, however I will admit my first two installs were not very good. But all the rest have been perfect once I got the hang of it. Their lifetime warranty is easy to use, just register when you first get it, then order a replacement when you need one online, and send the old one back with the envelope they send with the new one.

Upvote 0
I have used Zagg on each of my last 4 phones, with multiple installations due to warranty replacements, and my wife's last two. I have always been pleased with them, however I will admit my first two installs were not very good. But all the rest have been perfect once I got the hang of it. Their lifetime warranty is easy to use, just register when you first get it, then order a replacement when you need one online, and send the old one back with the envelope they send with the new one.

Btw I mentioned using a zagg possibly but I think that's out. Buddy at work has one on his and it doesnt look good. The install is fine, its the actual screen itself. Compared to the one on my incredible it seems like its thinner and definitely marked up where it should have already healed. These are his works and I agree looking at it I'm not impressed with it on the nexus. So my search is on for the next best wet application screen protector.

Upvote 0
I recommend Steinheil with no hesitations. I had the Steinheil Crystal on my Dinc and LOVED it. I now have the Steinheil "Oleophobic" on my Nexus and have complete piece of mind. It is difficult to tell it's there as far as clarity goes. It's as easy to wipe off any smudges/finger oils as it is from the naked screen. It is ever so slightly smaller than the entire beveled glass screen but it fully protects the entire viewing area and actually works well with a case that slightly wraps around the front. I may try some of the cheap ones from monoprice.com just to compare the quality but I stand by the Steinheil protectors as very high quality in terms of durability and experience of use.

Upvote 0
I installed the XO Skins (full screen version) last night. Awaiting a few remaining bubbles to disappear, but if they do, this thing is fantastic. Fits the screen perfectly (can't even tell it's on there) and is clear as can be.

Quoting myself to add that the bubbles have all disappeared and this thing is amazing. I've never used wet application protectors on past phones, but this thing blows away the dry application protectors I've used in the past. People can't even tell it's on there except for the small cutout by the earpiece. There's a slight tackiness, but even the dry protectors had that until a couple days of use. I imagine the XO Skins will also get slicker over time.

Upvote 0
I saw on youtube about one of the new Sony phones using the gorilla glass. I was sort of laughing at the test they did and claiming to show no scratches. Why did they not zoom up close in on the glass up close during the test - probably had microscrathes on it. Tests were hammer, pocket knife, utility knife - there was also running it over with a car (it did not crack) lol.

For my Galaxy Nexus, I use invisishied - they guarentee lifetime warranty. I would of prrferred a 3M one but they dont make one cut for it. Better to have film for resale since the screen will not be scratched with film.

An aquaintace of mine who work at a car wrap shop uses 3M Venture shield to protect his phone lol. Cut it size and wolla. Funny part is that the film is meant for a car to protect it.

Upvote 0
Quoting myself to add that the bubbles have all disappeared and this thing is amazing. I've never used wet application protectors on past phones, but this thing blows away the dry application protectors I've used in the past. People can't even tell it's on there except for the small cutout by the earpiece. There's a slight tackiness, but even the dry protectors had that until a couple days of use. I imagine the XO Skins will also get slicker over time.

For me, the tackiness is still there after ~2 weeks of use. I was originally going to ask for a warranty replacement because there is some streaking on mine even after fully curing but since I have to pay them to ship a new one and pay for shipping the old one back, I figured I'd just cut my losses and just return the whole thing.

While I'm at it, the other things I don't like about it is the slight orange peel effect seen at certain angles and the fact that it doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the screen (and I have mine installed so that the top part of the speaker cutout is on the very edge, maybe even a TINY bit over, the actual edge of the speaker hole).

Upvote 0
For me, the tackiness is still there after ~2 weeks of use. I was originally going to ask for a warranty replacement because there is some streaking on mine even after fully curing but since I have to pay them to ship a new one and pay for shipping the old one back, I figured I'd just cut my losses and just return the whole thing.

While I'm at it, the other things I don't like about it is the slight orange peel effect seen at certain angles and the fact that it doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the screen (and I have mine installed so that the top part of the speaker cutout is on the very edge, maybe even a TINY bit over, the actual edge of the speaker hole).

I'm sorry to hear your experience was the opposite of mine. I have no doubt your issues are legitimate, because others have complained about similar issues. I don't know whether it's a matter of differing opinions or XO Skins quality control. My XO Skins screen protector covers every single millimeter of the screen and I don't see any orange peel unless I hold the phone at a very specific angle with the screen off (and even then it's minimal). If I have any complaints at all, it's simply the minor tackiness, but it's not bothersome to me... yet.

I also had a great experience with customer service, which is rare these days, so I've been a little quicker to support this product. I ordered the case fit by accident and for only the cost of me sending mine back (a stamp), they sent me the full screen version.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones