Galaxy Nexus Subforum

1. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Shoveling Snow~ Moderator

It is a significant change, I go back and forth depending on the discussion here.
    Great point. I guess a non-gnex user would easily be able to tell that a thread is a GNex accessory for example and move it to the forum and assign the generic "Accessory" prefix. A guide that has the specific knowledge could then edit the prefix if necessary in the case that it is variant specific. In the case of LTE cradles, they could assign an "LTE Accessory" prefix.

I don't know how this works on your side, so if it's no big deal, it works. I just think that each device could have multiple combinations. LTE vs GSM, VZW LTE vs. Sprint LTE. When those are combined with the existing prefixes you will already have twelve additional prefixes (assuming general would be just that).

• General
    • Accessory
    • LTE Accessory
    • GSM Accessory
    • VZW Accessory
    • Sprint Accessory
    • Tips
    • LTE Tips
    • GSM Tips
    • VZW Tips
    • Sprint Tips
    • Support
    • LTE Support
    • GSM Support
    • VZW Support
    • Sprint Support
    Maybe I'm overthinking this. Just seems like a lot of prefixes, but it may work to your last concern.

I could definitely see happening with a device like the SGSIII. Even the GNex forums were this way when it was first released, but it has slowed significantly. I also noticed this happening in the SGSII International forum since ICS was released for it.

If we went with the longer prefix list, this concern could be mitigated by users being able to filter based on their needs. For example, someone could filter on "Sprint Tips" to condense threads to those of interest to them.

I'm not ready to throw my hat behind any solution yet, I'm really just thinking out loud.

This last thought is a little bit radical but sometimes you throw something against the wall and it sticks, so here goes.

What about double prefixes? The current 4 and a second one for carriers?
    Prefix 1

• General
    • Support
    • Tips
    • Accessory
    Prefix 2

• blank
    • VZW
    • Sprint
    • GSM
    • LTE
    • etc...
    I don't know how hard this would be to implement on your side, but it is just a thought I had. It could mitigate the proliferation of new prefixes I addressed earlier while offering flexibility as new devices are launched. If it is a non starter, feel free to edit it out of my post.:)
  2. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

Can't do double prefixes right now ;)
    Unforgiven likes this.
  3. Phases

Tired of thinking about it. (At least for now) Going to try:

Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    - (International) Galaxy Nexus - All Things Root
    - (Verizon) Galaxy Nexus - All Things Root
    - (Sprint) Galaxy Nexus - All Things Root
    - (T-Mobile) Galaxy Nexus - All Things Root

Main forum will keep normal prefixes, if something is specific worthy user can simply note it in the title if they wish.

The current "main" Verizon Galaxy Nexus subforum need to have all threads moved out and into the main Samsung Galaxy Nexus forum. When that is done, I will remove that forum. For now, I will rename it something like "Pending deletion" and remove rights to post new threads in it.

I have a couple to make, a couple to rename and move, and some 301 redirects to put in place.
    BabyBlues and Unforgiven like this.
  4. Unforgiven

On it. I will place a sticky linking to this thread in the top of the forum during the transition to prevent panic among the members.

edit: I get an error when I try to enter the VZW GNex forum. I did the report to admin message in case it gave more info that way.
  5. Phases

Done! Perhaps a sticky in the root to explain would be nice..
    Unforgiven likes this.
  6. Unforgiven

I think everything is moved. Just my expiring redirects.:)
  7. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Sorry but I don't like it. I am able to help people with root issues through experience gained, across all architectures for my device. This is because I have been exposed to threads for all types. This has been extremely beneficial to my peers and I.

With this system, that exposure is removed. I would have to view 4 subforums to get that. This is removing one persons effectiveness by 75% imho. Detrimental to the rooting community.

If this is to be a standard going forward, I would have to object in the strongest terms because using a root forum like that would remove any aspirations I had on being as helpful as I can.
  8. Phases

I hear ya, but is it not safer this way, less chance of users getting confused. Is it terribly troublesome to click into the other couple forums?
    SUroot likes this.
  9. SUroot

I'm just saying... terribly troublesome would be a stretch. But inconvenient, yeah.

One gsm international with carrier prefixes and one cdma with carrier prefixes if necessary would be my preference, but whatever you think works.

I think people need to be schooled in what pre requisite information and knowledge is required. If they are still confused, perhaps rooting isn't for them. I think every device forum should have a rooting faq that is device specific like we have in the desire forum but this takes time to produce
  10. Phases

Well, that's true. A user should be going into rooting with some amount of knowledge of their architecture at least, and if not - there could be a sticky in each explaining.

So you're saying something like:

Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    -CDMA/LTE - All Things Root
    -GSM - All Things Root

With optional carrier prefixes? Does that cover everyone?
    Unforgiven and SUroot like this.
  11. Unforgiven

I'd be OK with that. I wasn't thinking of prefixes in the ATR section. And I trust a ROM Dev like SU would certainly know better than I if we could condense ATR subforums.
    SUroot likes this.
  12. SUroot

Yeah that's a good compromise I think. I'm sorry I'm not trying to be deliberately obstructive and I'm definitely not saying I'm right or I know best... just putting out there what I feel would work best.

If the architecture is identical or even near identical, I think too many sub forums dilutes the experience and the message we give to new members. As much as can be consolidated, should be.

I.can definitely see the merit in cdma/LTE being separate to gym/international and was surprised the HTC desire forum didn't have this, but carrier segregation would be a bridge too far I think. But if differentiation must be made then further prefixes could do that job without spoiling the view for a glancing eye
    Unforgiven likes this.
  13. Phases

Also trying to keep SEO in mind. When average Joe needs help, he googles "Sprint Galaxy Nexus", for example.

It helps to have Sprint in the title..
    Unforgiven likes this.
  14. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Well-Known Member

The forum is a mess now with everything mixed into one. Please bring back the Verizon sub forum. Now there are all kinds of 4.0.4 threads that have nothing to do with the Verizon phone. This is going to cause nothing but confusion. The phones are different enough that they should be separate.
    Trooper and jkc120 like this.
  15. jkc120

jkc120 Well-Known Member

Agreed entirely. What's wrong with a structure like this?

- Galaxy Nexus (for general topics)
    * Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    - Verizon Galaxy Nexus - All Things Root
    * Sprint Galaxy Nexus
    - Sprint Galaxy Nexus - All Things Root
    * GSM/Global Galaxy Nexus
    - GSM/Global Galaxy Nexus - All Things Root

I definitely preferred it the other way. Already I've seen at least 2-3 posts from VZW owners asking about 4.0.4 thinking it was out due to seeing a bunch of threads discussing 4.0.4 (but which are GSM or Sprint customers in those threads).

IMHO, the new structure is not as efficient as the previous one. :eek:
    Dubbin1 likes this.
  16. SUroot

Those VZW customers may not have even known 4.0.4 existed without seeing info for your phone. Them knowing is a good thing. It also helps to compare the carriers where releases are concerned. This is a community.
    El Presidente and Unforgiven like this.
  17. esmith818

esmith818 Well-Known Member

I, for one, think we should be moving away from carriers and instead focusing on hardware. With that said, I suggest having two main forums for the Nexus handset divided by hardware technologies, so:

Galaxy Nexus
    ---Galaxy Nexus (CDMA)
    ------Galaxy Nexus (CDMA) - All Things Root
    ---Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
    ------Galaxy Nexus (GSM) - All Things Root

The top level forum would be read only where forum guides/mods have write access to provide stickies that point less knowledgeable users to the correct subforum (i.e. Links for the individual carriers that send visitor to GSM or CDMA). The top-level could also be for read-only information that is generic to all Nexus devices.

Regardless, I appreciate the time and effort of the "big wigs" to keeping the forums user friendly, and I will adapt to whatever the final layout should happen to be. :)
  18. Dubbin1

That wouldn't be a bad idea for everyone that knew the difference from CDMA to GSM but a lot of people here don't.
  19. Trooper

Trooper Well-Known Member

Totally agree. The forum is a complete mess as it stands. Bring back the Verizon sub forum. Right now its all just a cluttered mess.
    Dubbin1 likes this.
  20. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

21. red66charger

red66charger Well-Known Member

Since carrier plans, technical support and business practices often effect the user experience I think it is a good idea to categorize GNex sub-forums by carrier. I also feel each carrier should have a root and non-root section.

I know one thing...and apologies to those involved...but I really don't like the current structure. It is a little aggravating sifting through the board in order to find Verizon specific discussion. The change really is a head-scratcher.

Thanks for considering a re-reorginization.
  22. SUroot

I don't understand the need to regularly discuss Verizon in a device specific forum. Doesn't much of that fit in the Verizon android carrier forum?

I understand "wheres my update" but what else fits there?

I don't care if you have Verizon, sprint general sub forums but I will fight to the death to avoid the detriment that is carrier specific root forums. What sim card or what cdma configuration the devices have has NOTHING to do with how you root or what roms you need. All that affects that is physical architecture. Sure maybe only one carrier provides cdma and that could be Verizon, there fore the cdma root section could be labelled Verizon to help identify.

I've been skulking ,around root forums for 2 years and will be skulking around them for the foreseeable future. As whatever is decided here will affect all new devices, please understand why I am so passionate about dividing the root forums as little as possible. I.don't think we need to encourage cliques where there is no separation of devices.

Troubleshooting - slight variance in topics but both architectures have more common ground than not

Accessories - are the phones the same shape?

Tips and tricks - see troubleshooting

Root - yes, maybe one sub forum per architecture as drivers, rooting methods and roms will vary.

General - I really don't care. If this is the only place you can discuss how weak the signal on the gnex is with Verizon, so be it. But how do we know its not weak on sprint too?

I.just don't get what type of device specific, carrier specific issues you guys can't find easily
  23. Dubbin1

No the phones are not the same shape, they take different batteries and cases.
  24. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles VIP Member

Just remember that what is going on with the Galaxy Nexus forums has repercussions throughout the entire site. If every carrier has a subforum there then people want it for their device area as well.
    Most devices currently do not have carrier subdivisions unless there is a hardware difference as well.
    It can take a while to make some of these decisions, and this isn't something that should be rushed. There is a lot for them to think about in regards to this. Also, whatever is decided is not going to make everyone happy. They try their best, but that just isn't possible.
  25. red66charger

red66charger Well-Known Member

The user experience, i.e. how the device works as a piece of hardware, how it performs on a network and the specific support it receives from the OEM and the carrier, is not the same from carrier to carrier.

You all do want you want to do, but the issues I am having with my Galaxy Nexus are VERIZON related more so than Google or Samsung (although I think that's debatable as well). I'm not talking about rooted devices, I'm talking about stock out of the box.

How a non-VZW CDMA device functions on it's proprietary network, especially if it is running 4.04 and not 4.02, could be significantly different than how my GN works on VZW. And at the rate we're going, it could be a while before these devices are equal in functionality...if ever.

My Spidey-Senses are hinting that there could be a Hatfields and McCoys division on this topic as the experienced/modding Android community appears to be getting a bit annoyed with some of us lesser experienced users. But I'm an old Spidey, my senses could be off. :)