• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Verizon] Galaxy Nexus ToolKit updating?

Are you using one of the Root toolkits (i.e. Wugs or the other)? Is your phone rooted? Or is this just via the phone?

Also, you _might_ want to look further into what a full 4.2.1 rom has to offer. I haven't seen anything that I like about 4.2.1 besides the camera which I was able to add to my rooted VZW Gnex running a 4.1.2 rom.

Upvote 0
Are you using one of the Root toolkits (i.e. Wugs or the other)? Is your phone rooted? Or is this just via the phone?

Also, you _might_ want to look further into what a full 4.2.1 rom has to offer. I haven't seen anything that I like about 4.2.1 besides the camera which I was able to add to my rooted VZW Gnex running a 4.1.2 rom.
My phone is rooted and I am using this.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1614827

Upvote 0
From what I read in that link, that 'tool kit' will do everything, the only need to 'donate' is for it to automatically check for updates.

I do not believe there is a factory image for 4.2.1, to go back and answer part of your OP.

But again, you should look further into updating to 4.2.1 from 4.1.2 as it is not always easy to get a harmonious outcome.

What version of android are you on now? And are you running a custom rom; if so which one?

Upvote 0
I recommend you learn some simple ADB commands and stay away from toolkits. That is just my opinion. I've never liked them and i think they promote bad habits.

I don't think the toolkits are bad, but I agree that people have become quite dependent on them to the point that most don't know how to do the technical stuff to save their phone in case something goes wrong.

Very good points, both of you. I could not agree more.

So, that said, I think the best people to use toolkits are people like me; when you get old, you get lazy, lol. You read and read and read and learn all the ADB and fastboot commands, but when it comes to crunch time, I can use a toolkit and fall back on the real knowledge if any thing goes awry.

Upvote 0
Very good points, both of you. I could not agree more.

So, that said, I think the best people to use toolkits are people like me; when you get old, you get lazy, lol. You read and read and read and learn all the ADB and fastboot commands, but when it comes to crunch time, I can use a toolkit and fall back on the real knowledge if any thing goes awry.

I know when helping people fix problems, most common being a deleted system partition, the quickest solution is simply to boot into recovery, adb push a new zip and/or gapps, and flash away. However, since most have no experience with adb and only know toolkits, that really only leaves using the toolkit to flash a factory image and thus wipe it. It's a shame, but it is what is and at least in the end the device can be saved.

Upvote 0
I know the nuts and bolts of things, and I would highly recommend toolkits to save a LOT of time. Its amazing how cheap people can be sometimes. :) Yes, I use free stuff all the time, but if it is useful to me, I donate. I used the Wugfresh toolkit to root all my Nexus devices...Galaxy Nexus, (several of them) and the Nexus 7. Its like a two click. Check this site to get the link:

https://sites.google.com/site/cellaphoney/home/rooting-phones

I have donated about 3 times to that particular toolkit. Why? because it works and saves me LOTS of time. Give the guy $5-10 if it works for you. Its worth it, he appreciates it, and it prompts him to continue to put out a great product. Just surfing through all the misinformation on the forums, doing things manually and then having to solve problems, if not bricking your phone, and finally accomplishing your goal many hours later, the toolkit at least for any of the Nexus devices is well worth it. I would recommend, that on your "active" devices, get a toolkit. If you want to learn how to do things manually, pick up a cheap older smartphone, and then do your flashing, modding...etc on that. Then you can learn how to do things from scratch. Don't risk your high end device to experiement on, with the potential of bricking it. :)

Just my 2 cents worth.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones