• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

One strange thing I noticed on my new GNex (nice saying that) is that every time I download an app from the market it places the icon for the app onto the home screen. This was before I upgraded ICS so maybe its fixed now or, maybe there is a setting for that somewhere.
I hope that the watering hole sees some action, although I am sure it will be no where as busy as the epic thread.

If I remember right there's a setting for that in the market app.

Reactions: Shades.549
Upvote 0
I'm glad they had enough to go around at downtown xing. I was worried for the people in the back when a bunch showed up around 7:45. I think the yellow spot up front in that pic is probably me. I ended up being 5th a little before 7:30. The first two guys in line got there at 6:20! (think they overshot a bit with that one).
Cool! Yeah, I got there around 7:55, was quite surprised to see so many people. Looks like the TheDroidGuy story got my picture from the Phandroid story, which did give me proper credit. All good. :)

More links:

Please share your Verizon Galaxy Nexus launch stories | Android and Me

Things to do once you get your Galaxy Nexus | Android Central

The Web in 2012: Five predictions, starting with IE10 | Deep Tech - CNET News

Be careful everyone!
Over $1 Million Stolen from Android Users in 2011 | BriefMobile

Reactions: DaGeek215
Upvote 0
So what is the correct way to charge this to get the most out of the battery. Should you completely drain it the first time and then let it fully charge or does it really not matter?

Honestly just use it -- no need to really calibrate batteries these days AFAIK.

Mine has been on charger since I bought it but I have been using it and took it off a few times. Nothing I can do about it -- people wanna see it. :D

Reactions: tpags
Upvote 0
Hello to all!! Crazy as it seems... I feel as If I've made some friends over at the pre-release thread (or at least I see the cool ppl and hope to be one of them someday haha. Hans, Steven, BB and the many more!)

Got my Nexus this morning and couldn't be happier! :)

Three tips for us Nexus Newbies....

*228 no longer works. Instead, (per VZ Tech Support)

1. Power off the phone.
  2. Pull the sim card, then re-install it.
  3. Power up the phone.
This is essentially the same thing as updating your roaming capabilities

Second, I'm not totally confident in the *#*#4636#*#* trick to disable 4g (if you're like me and don't live in 4g coverage and want to save battery). I tried it but there's no LTE mention. I tried a couple settings but they seemed to disable data or the phone entirely. In the end I stuck with the default. Anybody got any advice on this front?

Lastly, The verdict isn't finally out on this one but... for those of you who are OG droid converts... The Nexus charger puts out 1000ma of power. The charger that came with the OG puts out 950ma. Also if you have the car charger (SPN5400A) it also outputs 950ma. So I figure it should work with the Nexus just fine. If I'm wrong somebody speak up. I'll be back later to report my experience after I've given it some time to test.

Looking forward to all the Nexus fun! :)

Upvote 0
Second, I'm not totally confident in the *#*#4636#*#* trick to disable 4g (if you're like me and don't live in 4g coverage and want to save battery). I tried it but there's no LTE mention. I tried a couple settings but they seemed to disable data or the phone entirely. In the end I stuck with the default. Anybody got any advice on this front?

Looking forward to all the Nexus fun! :)

Settings > (Wireless and Networks) More > Mobile networks > Network Mode

That lets you choose between LTE & CDMA (4G and 3G).

Upvote 0
I'm not totally confident in the *#*#4636#*#* trick to disable 4g (if you're like me and don't live in 4g coverage and want to save battery). I tried it but there's no LTE mention. I tried a couple settings but they seemed to disable data or the phone entirely. In the end I stuck with the default. Anybody got any advice on this front?
Go to the settings menu and hit "More.." under the Wireless & Networks list. Choose "Mobile networks" at the bottom. Next, choose "Network Mode" and pick "CDMA" in the menu that pops up. This will restrict your phone to only 3G bands, and prevent it from trying to connect to the LTE band.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Damn you Stigy...

Hey, is this the first ninja of the watering hole thread?? :D

Upvote 0
Hey all!!!! Got the Sonogram done today!!!!
The HB is 182BPM and my wife is 9 weeks and 4 days along, with a estimated delivery date of 7/14/2011. I cant wait :) Heres the best pic :) Im soooo relieved its only 1 and its in great health :) If you look suuuuuper close you can make out the eye area and the nose :)

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Im hoping for a Girl:

Lily Marie-Elizabeth

if its a boy:

Aiden Matthew

Congrats altimax, wishing you a very happy & healthy!

crowd replies: "Hi Blue Biker!"

LOL, thx. Good to see so many fellow addicts here. :)

Upvote 0
Go to the settings menu and hit "More.." under the Wireless & Networks list. Choose "Mobile networks" at the bottom. Next, choose "Network Mode" and pick "CDMA" in the menu that pops up. This will restrict your phone to only 3G bands, and prevent it from trying to connect to the LTE band.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Damn you Stigy...

Hey, is this the first ninja of the watering hole thread?? :D

And it still feels good. :p

Reactions: RazorSharp
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones