• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

I am running Redemption Rom with Franco's kernel and actually getting decent battery life today. But now I am tempted to switch to AOKP....in your experience, could it affect my battery life, if I keep using Franco's kernel with it?

You mean flash franco's kernel to aokp? That's not a problem at all a lot of folk use francos with aokp.

Reactions: mistermojorizi
Upvote 0
Thanks, yes, I am planning to do that. Just wonder if changing the rom from redemption to AOKP, while keeping the kernel constant, could adversely affect battery life?

Ahh I see. When you go to flash aokp coming from redemption you will get the kernel that comes with aokp (which is stock). In other words kernels don't carry over after a data wipe and a new flash.

As far as what kind of battery life you will get that is trial and error you'll have to try it.

If you do decide to flash aokp, be sure you 1st backup your redemption rom (kernel will be saved in this backup), then wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, go to advanced and wipe dalvik, go to mounts and storage and format system. Then flash aokp and immediately after flash gapps then reboot. Once booted up and on homescreen reboot into recovery and go to advanced and ONLY wipe dalvik cache. Then flash francos kernel.

Reactions: mistermojorizi
Upvote 0
Hey, jb, did you give JRummy's Ultimate Backup Pro a try yet? I purchased the other night and it works great! Its super fast backing up and restoring apps. I love the automatic backup option too. As soon as you install an app its automatically backed up. And Theresa an option if you uninstall an app it deletes the backup. No more accidentally restoring apps you don't want anymore.

I never bought TiBu Pro, but JRummy's app has all the same features and more for $2 and change. Well worth the purchase.

Let us know how AOKP 16 is running too. I've been flashing like mad but keep coming back to AOKP. It seems to be the most full featured ROM though codename Android is putting out good stuff too.

EDIT: Just saw your post about the bugs. Looks like I'll stick to M2 for now. Sucks...16 looked to have some nice new features.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
I downloaded the files (ROM and GApps) but I saw bugs, too. Darn crackheads! :)

jmar

17 should be up tomorrow!

same here...i have an addictive personality and I think I'm becoming addicted to flashing. I was getting all excited and now I'm kinda sad.

17 is coming I'll keep the thread updated :)

Hey, jb, did you give JRummy's Ultimate Backup Pro a try yet? I purchased the other night and it works great! Its super fast backing up and restoring apps. I love the automatic backup option too. As soon as you install an app its automatically backed up. And Theresa an option if you uninstall an app it deletes the backup. No more accidentally restoring apps you don't want anymore.

I never bought TiBu Pro, but JRummy's app has all the same features and more for $2 and change. Well worth the purchase.

Let us know how AOKP 16 is running too. I've been flashing like mad but keep coming back to AOKP. It seems to be the most full featured ROM though codename Android is putting out good stuff too.

EDIT: Just saw your post about the bugs. Looks like I'll stick to M2 for now. Sucks...16 looked to have some nice new features.

I haven't had a chance to check out jrummy's app, but am very intrigued I promise I will! Thanks for the insight.

Yeah I held of on 16. 17 is right around the corner. M2 is running perfectly for me almost hate to do a wipe....wait no I don't I'll be flashing 17 tomorrow with the new features :D

Reactions: BabyBlues
Upvote 0
snip

how's the battery life with AOKP?

Upvote 0
Yep, it's generally agreed upon as the easiest to use version.

It used to be, but Ubuntu has lost an awful lot of users in the last two years since Canonical decided to remove features, dumb it down, and target it toward mobile touchscreen devices, alienating many desktop users who aren't, y'know, mobile or using a touchscreen. :thinking:

Linux Mint is a great beginner Linux distro. Not sure where the best place for info would be, but Linux tends to have active community forums that are great resources.

Yes! Mint has become very popular -- check out the last 3 months' page hits at DistroWatch.com. Powerful and a great choice for newbies. I used to set up friends w/the more professional OpenSUSE, but Mint is much easier to maintain and support. Note that the just released version 12 hasn't been as well received as the excellent version 11. Oh well.

I'm experiencing a nerdgasm.

That sounds kinda... twisted. ;)

I had to go back to the beginning and start reading again after I started giggling at TAR balls. Please 'splain this to me. :p:D

It's a collection of files packaged together into a single tape archive file that might be compressed and can have various extensions.

This screenshot shows the same set of original kernel files placed into three different tarballs -- uncompressed (105MB), compressed using bzip2 (18MB), and compressed w/gzip (23MB):
Tar_screenshot_fedora14.png

Reactions: jmar and BabyBlues
Upvote 0
Morning all, while I did unlock and root, I am on stock ICS also. So far, I am not bored with stock, having fun changing things around. Waiting for the OTA to 4.03 to see what changes it might do for the radio. Verizon is sending out another SIM, hopefully this one is from a different lot and might help with my one way audio issues and signal. I will report back once I get it and try.

Upvote 0
Reactions: jbdan and halon
Upvote 0
I will continue to hold off flashing (at least until saturday). I don't have time to set up everything again.

Wondering if anyone knows how to backup homescreens and wallpapers to avoid having to set it all back up? When I unlocked and rooted, my backup from "MyBackup" failed but google restored all the apps (inc paid, unpaid, marketplace, amazon, get jar and ones I sideloaded) and the data in those apps including passwords etc. Pretty easy. Now that I am rooted I have Titanium re-installed (using dropbox) and rom manager but I am now wondering best ways to back up as well as my original question about home screens. Any one have any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Well, I'm ROM'd! Had no problems getting CWM flashed and loading AOKP M2. Got it all customized and such. Downloaded Tasker and have started playing with it.

Couple of Tasker questions:
1.) Have any of you tried the conditional turn mobile data off if cellsig is less than X? I've got it setup but I cannot tell if it is working or if I just honestly don't have 3G or 1x this morning. I go through spells at work where I'll have a bar or two but no data connection. (Stupid metal buildings) Is there a way I can tell for sure if this is working?

2.) I have tried setting it to say "Have a great day!" when my work profile goes active, but when I run the action it says something about TTS Locale not supported.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Wondering if anyone knows how to backup homescreens and wallpapers to avoid having to set it all back up? When I unlocked and rooted, my backup from "MyBackup" failed but google restored all the apps (inc paid, unpaid, marketplace, amazon, get jar and ones I sideloaded) and the data in those apps including passwords etc. Pretty easy. Now that I am rooted I have Titanium re-installed (using dropbox) and rom manager but I am now wondering best ways to back up as well as my original question about home screens. Any one have any thoughts?

using a launcher? many of them have a backup feature. otherwise i think TiBu has the item to backup (system data i believe). i've restore homescreens and wallpapers a couple times. easiest by far is using the backup from the launcher.

EDIT: Found them in TiBu... i think system data is in red, so i might be mistaken - You'll see [DESKTOP] and [WALLPAPER/SETTINGS]

VQC4b.png

2vQHy.png

Upvote 0
Well, I hate to do it, but I need to return my phone for a replacement, because my calls tend to get lots of static, or loss of complete signal at times. VERY frustrating! Since I use my phone quite a bit for work, this is very important.

Anyway, my question - I'm rooted / unlocked, but I haven't flashed anything except Nova and CWM. How do I get my phone back to factory settings? I rooted/unlocked the "long way."

Also, what's the best way to back up my data/settings, etc? I do have Titanim Backup, but I am not that familiar with it - I assume it's possible to backup to my computer, right?

Upvote 0
Well, I hate to do it, but I need to return my phone for a replacement, because my calls tend to get lots of static, or loss of complete signal at times. VERY frustrating! Since I use my phone quite a bit for work, this is very important.

that's too bad. i've seen a couple reports on this.. hopefully a new one fixes it.

Anyway, my question - I'm rooted / unlocked, but I haven't flashed anything except Nova and CWM. How do I get my phone back to factory settings? I rooted/unlocked the "long way."

http://androidforums.com/verizon-ga...ou-go-one-step-unlock-root-relock-unroot.html

Also, what's the best way to back up my data/settings, etc? I do have Titanim Backup, but I am not that familiar with it - I assume it's possible to backup to my computer, right?

Yep

Navigate to /TitaniumBackup/ on your SD card; there you

Upvote 0
Anyone who is good at resizing to make wallpapers please make the two darth maul posters a wallpaper for me? Is it possible to take all the words off it too? Pretty please :)
BB may be more thorough, but here is a quick solution. Note that you would want to use a non-scrollable background as the images only scale to 720 x 1280.
DarthMaul2.png
DarthMaul.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones