• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

The dealer for MY car is bad about always putting 3k on the sticker. But last time I asked for them to put 5k, they did it, but tried to charge me 12 dollars for the 5k service plan. So back to 3k on the sticker and I will bring it in every 5k.

$12 to write 5k on the little sticker:eek:. At least at my dealership they put the accurate mileage on and don't even fill out the date. The old 3 months, 3,000 miles thing has been out of date for years. Heck, my 2002 Ford Ranger was 6mo/5k and the entire maintenance schedule was around 5k intervals (5,15,25,50, etc.).

Upvote 0
So a little fun fact. Since the pre-release thread was occupied for at least the first half with catching the Dinc thread (until it blew by it), I figured a little comparison of the lounge threads was in order.

It took Dinc Lounge 411 days to hit 6825. It took us... 60. Nice.

Upvote 0
$12 to write 5k on the little sticker:eek:. At least at my dealership they put the accurate mileage on and don't even fill out the date. The old 3 months, 3,000 miles thing has been out of date for years. Heck, my 2002 Ford Ranger was 6mo/5k and the entire maintenance schedule was around 5k intervals (5,15,25,50, etc.).

They said it had an extra inspection involved... :rolleyes: My manual says 7500 between oil changes. I do 5k, even I am not ready to go that long, even if the Mobil 1 I get will easily go that long.

Upvote 0
A big part of my job (and always has been) is troubleshooting so I'm all for it. Using the power of the Internet, public discussions, and the fact that we're all pretty darn nice people in here sounds like a FANTASTIC idea for trying to figure this problem out. EarlyMon, while I'm not trying to throw you under the bus, you've gotten us off to a great start with your ideas so if you wanted to take a leadership role on this with more suggestions, guidance, organization, etc., I'm all for it. I'm a big boy so you can tell me to go fly a kite if you're interested in more of a hands-off approach. :)

Hands off? As in me keeping my trap shut and not posting? LoL

As for leadership, eh - probably not so much. I can kibitz in some ideas and suggestions, but without owning a Nexus, I can't really be one of you, so I'd be the last one as a good choice as a group leader. But I will commit to being a special mod for you to help re-org posts and whatnot and thread layout/organization by your community request, and I'm sure the other mods would be equally honored to help out that way.

Maybe my real power for you would be as the outsider to bounce ideas off of, and I'm all for that.

I won't deny that I know a bit about Android phones, but when it comes to the Nexus, I'm reminded of Kahlil Gibran's definition of a sage: A guy who's never been swimming and stands with his back to the ocean and a seashell to his ear, telling himself, now I know all about the sea. ;)

So, I'll be glad to pitch in as much, or shut up as much, as people want, but ultimately, you cats can put a Nexus to your ear and all I got is this seashell. :)

Oh and PS - I mentioned that I can copy or move posts from here to that thread by you cats' requests. But I didn't mention, don't worry about the timeline. Once it's decided who's going to make and maintain the OP, I can make that go back in time to appear before posts from here. As Mr. Bean would say: Magic! snort snort! Oh, and duh, if folks just want to quote posts out of here, that's perfectly cromulent as well. :)

Upvote 0
Fortunately, our new Honda Fit is "woman friendly" in that it has a warning light to tell you to have the oil changed. Modern technology at its finest :p:D

Ha! I think that would just irritate me. I hate that my car tells me when it thinks I should shift, never mind if it starts telling me it wants an oil change too

Upvote 0
Ha! I think that would just irritate me. I hate that my car tells me when it thinks I should shift, never mind if it starts telling me it wants an oil change too

100% agree. The only thing I've ever enjoyed any of my cars saying to me is they've whispered, I'm paid for. I'm finally paid for. (And yes, all of my cars have been possessed by either good or bad daemons, and they all have whispered like ghosts. Some of them have been liars, but hey, you know.)

Upvote 0
At the risk of getting flamed, I want to inform I hate my treo what he may run into when he picks up his new Nexus.

I too, am a former blackberry user. I wish I could say this phone is the cats meow. It's about a 7/10 on my personal ease of use scale.

Problems I've had include
1. Exchange native gobbling up data, and never "shutting off". Instead of trying endless fixes, I loaded Touchdown, and got it running, so I can send/receive email. Native exchange was running the phone dry, exchange gobbling data, 4 GB in a week of data trying to sort it out.

2. Minor issue here, but when someone calls, I'm used to seeing Joe Blow, Acme Widgets show up on the incoming display screen. I then have a chance of figuring out who it is, before I speak. Now I just get "joe Blow", and it's up to me to rack my brain, to sort him out of 3,000 contacts and figure out who he is, and how to reply. This won't be an issue for those who have under 100 contacts, it will be an issue for you "rolodex" types like me.

3. Spotty radio. Here in Colorado, I have to work in the woods a lot, 30-100 miles around Denver up in the foothills, out on the plains. My old blackberry storm had a MUCH better radio, better reception in marginal places. You will be dissappointed in this.

4. "one way call" syndrome. I thought this was probably my problem with my phone cell coverage, until I noticed it happpened on landlines I was talking with. The call continues, but the guy on the other end of the line is left wondering what happened to you. It's like you go mute in the middle of a call, but you never touched anything. This occurs both at my home office, when on wi fi, and also out on the road.

5. Software issues with related products. My blueAnt T1, my son bought me for Christmas just doesn't work with my Nexus. The ladies voice that's supposedly native to the Nexus, sounds like an android herself and she's virtually impossible to understand. Blueants website is strangely mute, level 2 tech support says, "we're working on it". It's supposed to announce the names of incoming callers, read your sms, or texts, etc. that's not happening.

That being said, there are features to love, fast maps, eventually being able to speak or dictate your emails or phone contacts and have it call for you. Videos, photos, etc, once figured out can be sent to clients from the scene.

I'm well beyond return time, so I've got to dance with the one that brung ya, but I'm telling you, this isn't a picnic to run a business with.

Your mileage may vary!

:D
Thanks Early...I think:p

Kinda seems like most of my posts match my avatar. Not sure what that says about me though.

edit: just see two posts down for yet another match

Upvote 0
So a little fun fact. Since the pre-release thread was occupied for at least the first half with catching the Dinc thread (until it blew by it), I figured a little comparison of the lounge threads was in order.

It took Dinc Lounge 411 days to hit 6825. It took us... 60. Nice.

Man, it's so nice to be on the Nexus forum and see how much activity there is. Reminds me of the OG Droid days. I was initially pysched when I got my Bionic and noticed there was no one over there (XMR and Yankee aside). Soo boring.
Glad to see a huge rush of folks on the Nexus' threads!

Reactions: AntimonyER
Upvote 0
100% agree. The only thing I've ever enjoyed any of my cars saying to me is they've whispered, I'm paid for. I'm finally paid for. (And yes, all of my cars have been possessed by either good or bad daemons, and they all have whispered like ghosts. Some of them have been liars, but hey, you know.)

Really, yours whispers I am paid for? Mine is more like the one from the commercial, where they pay the last payment on the phone while in the car, and then the rearview mirror falls off.

When I had my Z06, the day after the warranty ran out, BOTH window motors failed. They wanted $700 to fix them, I looked online and found window motors for $100 for two, decided to do it myself. In retrospect, I should have paid the $700. I have never been more frustrated in my life, trying to thread the cables onto the new motor pully blind while reaching in from either side, since its located in the middle of the door and the holes are at the edges, all the while the window trying to drop like a guillotine and sever my hands.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

Mine too!! Although this one I got lucky and was able to buy outright with money my Gramma left me.

Considering the fact that I don't think she ever changed the oil on her old Protege, I don't imagine it'll be an issue for her :rolleyes:

Um, yeah , in that case I guess it would be good. I at least get the oil changes done, late, but done.

Upvote 0
Ask BB. lol

The actual quote would be "Connor Macleod of the clan McCloud" from the movie Highlander. There is a hockey player for Colorado named McCleod and every time they mention him in a game I say that quote. My girlfriend HATES it. lol

That's it, yes!! hah thx ;) I loved that movie when it was out. Might have to watch again...

Upvote 0
That's it, yes!! hah thx ;) I loved that movie when it was out. Might have to watch again...

jbdan, did you use to be a guide, like way back in the OG Droid days. Seems like I remember seeing you in green when I was getting ready to rot my OG. I saw you earlier today on a GNex thread and wanted to ask, but I didn't want to hijack the thread. I think it's OK to hijack this thread, its a little more freeflowing:D

Upvote 0
Man, it's so nice to be on the Nexus forum and see how much activity there is. Reminds me of the OG Droid days. I was initially pysched when I got my Bionic and noticed there was no one over there (XMR and Yankee aside). Soo boring.
Glad to see a huge rush of folks on the Nexus' threads!

Yeah, I thought I would fade out once I got the phone, thats what happened when I got my Dinc, and I will be honest over christmas I did a little, but I have since found myself spending plenty of time here again now that I am back at work (And I will be honest, tapatalk being re-instated has helped with that.. THANKS Rob!).

Upvote 0
jbdan, did you use to be a guide, like way back in the OG Droid days. Seems like I remember seeing you in green when I was getting ready to rot my OG. I saw you earlier today on a GNex thread and wanted to ask, but I didn't want to hijack the thread. I think it's OK to hijack this thread, its a little more freeflowing:D

I dunno about his past, but I would nominate him now if I had a say, his help in the root sections (and here) has been awesome.

Upvote 0
I dunno about his past, but I would nominate him now if I had a say, his help in the root sections (and here) has been awesome.

Then the correct thing to do would be to drop a private message to him to see if he's ok with the idea and then to drop a private message to Frisco and tell him your feelings and observations.

There is a high volume demand for a Guide position, so if the selection doesn't happen, it's no loss of face or honor.

Upvote 0
At the risk of getting flamed, I want to inform I hate my treo what he may run into when he picks up his new Nexus.

I too, am a former blackberry user. I wish I could say this phone is the cats meow. It's about a 7/10 on my personal ease of use scale.

Problems I've had include
1. Exchange native gobbling up data, and never "shutting off". Instead of trying endless fixes, I loaded Touchdown, and got it running, so I can send/receive email. Native exchange was running the phone dry, exchange gobbling data, 4 GB in a week of data trying to sort it out.

2. Minor issue here, but when someone calls, I'm used to seeing Joe Blow, Acme Widgets show up on the incoming display screen. I then have a chance of figuring out who it is, before I speak. Now I just get "joe Blow", and it's up to me to rack my brain, to sort him out of 3,000 contacts and figure out who he is, and how to reply. This won't be an issue for those who have under 100 contacts, it will be an issue for you "rolodex" types like me.

3. Spotty radio. Here in Colorado, I have to work in the woods a lot, 30-100 miles around Denver up in the foothills, out on the plains. My old blackberry storm had a MUCH better radio, better reception in marginal places. You will be dissappointed in this.

4. "one way call" syndrome. I thought this was probably my problem with my phone cell coverage, until I noticed it happpened on landlines I was talking with. The call continues, but the guy on the other end of the line is left wondering what happened to you. It's like you go mute in the middle of a call, but you never touched anything. This occurs both at my home office, when on wi fi, and also out on the road.

5. Software issues with related products. My blueAnt T1, my son bought me for Christmas just doesn't work with my Nexus. The ladies voice that's supposedly native to the Nexus, sounds like an android herself and she's virtually impossible to understand. Blueants website is strangely mute, level 2 tech support says, "we're working on it". It's supposed to announce the names of incoming callers, read your sms, or texts, etc. that's not happening.

That being said, there are features to love, fast maps, eventually being able to speak or dictate your emails or phone contacts and have it call for you. Videos, photos, etc, once figured out can be sent to clients from the scene.

I'm well beyond return time, so I've got to dance with the one that brung ya, but I'm telling you, this isn't a picnic to run a business with.

Your mileage may vary!

Adjuster, great post. No reason to be flamed. This is quite helpful to me and picks up on all my concerns, being in a line of work that requires this be a fully functional phone, first and foremost.

1. As a Touchdown user, I think this will be a non-issue.
2. Yes, I have 4000 contacts, but only 50 are "regular" callers, so I can deal with whatever this brings.
3. and 4. Yep, this is where I will just have to close my eyes and leap in. I will venture to guess that the 1-way call issue is not prevalent in Los Angeles (I'd be interested to know). It's Canada and other travel destinations (NY, Chi) that concern me. I never had coverage or 1-way issues with my DX or by Berries, so this will be the litmus test.
5. I have a number of BT devices, many native to the cars we have, so I am hoping for no issues here. It would bum me out if my BT ski helmet was not compatible!

6. Maybe by the time I actually BUY the damn thing when I get back on the 15th, a software update will roll out? I can dream can't I?

Again, great post. I'd thank you twice if I could.

And THIS is why the Lounge rocks (thanks also to BB for instigating). Now, I'm going offline for a bit since this is the first bluebird day since Xmas! :)

Upvote 0
Why do guys at the oil change place think they can scare me into getting hundreds of dollars worth of work done? If I wanted work done I'd bring it to a shop. I just want the oil changed!!

One of my exes had the guys at a service center charge her for a tune up on her diesel VW. She paid for it and I found out about it later in the day. When I confronted them about it they tried to argue with me that they did the work. It wasn't until I forced them to open the hood and show me were the spark plugs are located that they admitted to an "error". They refunded her all her money, even for the stuff they actually did do.

I don't think it is just women, but they do try to take advantage of us a little more. I get treated the same way in electronic stores sometimes too.

Upvote 0
snip

snip

just a tip, i replaced the google lady's voice with IVONA text-to-speech which is in a free beta right now on android market. i was ready to kill that lady.

Upvote 0
Then the correct thing to do would be to drop a private message to him to see if he's ok with the idea and then to drop a private message to Frisco and tell him your feelings and observations.

There is a high volume demand for a Guide position, so if the selection doesn't happen, it's no loss of face or honor.

Point well taken:eek:. I was certainly not trying to shame anyone. Before I became active posting I read a lot of threads here with my D1 and D2 without really paying attention to names. When I saw his it struck a chord so he must have helped me or had a positive influence from way back in the ancient times (at least in Android years). Whether he was in green or not is then irrelevant to the point I wanted to make.

jbdan, Wherever or whatever it was long ago, you helped me and I want to give you a long overdue thanks:)!!

Upvote 0
Why do guys at the oil change place think they can scare me into getting hundreds of dollars worth of work done? If I wanted work done I'd bring it to a shop. I just want the oil changed!!

Those one-stop quickie oil change places are populated by con men and blood-suckers. No offense to OTD. ;)

Upvote 0
I'll admit it's been talked about (I had a hard time searching), but what are folks who use Volume+ (purchased) using for settings? I bought it but am unsure on how to go forward, obviously trying to avoid burning out the speaker.

it's not powerful enough on the gnext to burn the speaker. i'm rooted, just followed the instructions. hit the volume up botton several times to test and set the settings. enable speaker mod, set equalizer to "good quality", increase volume level, hit volume up button a few times. i find that it increases until you get past about +15, and from +15 to +20 its about the same volume.

by the way, the dude with the 4.0.4 update said he uninstalled volume+ after getting the update b/c it fixed the volume.

i am rooted, and not responsible for anything you do to your phone ;)

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones