• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Really, yours whispers I am paid for? Mine is more like the one from the commercial, where they pay the last payment on the phone while in the car, and then the rearview mirror falls off.

When I had my Z06, the day after the warranty ran out, BOTH window motors failed. They wanted $700 to fix them, I looked online and found window motors for $100 for two, decided to do it myself. In retrospect, I should have paid the $700. I have never been more frustrated in my life, trying to thread the cables onto the new motor pully blind while reaching in from either side, since its located in the middle of the door and the holes are at the edges, all the while the window trying to drop like a guillotine and sever my hands.

i had some issues with a brand new C5, luckily it was in warranty but still it sucked taking it in all the time for intermittent problems. i'm staying far away from chevy...if i need performance i'll go german (not vw or audi), otherwise staying with asian

Upvote 0
Really? I find her to be an improvement over previous versions. The voice much more human like than in the past.

this is my first android, i didn't know previous versions of ICS existed :) JK ...compared to the polite british gal on my garmin this one definitely got under my skin

but anyone else not liking the voice, check out ivona, pretty nice, hope it stays free for a long time

Upvote 0
Those one-stop quickie oil change places are populated by con men and blood-suckers. No offense to OTD. ;)

I'm glad I live in a small town where advertising is done by word of mouth. The family owned garage we go to has been servicing our vehicles for four generations now. Never a doubt that they are not giving you the straight truth.

Upvote 0
i had some issues with a brand new C5, luckily it was in warranty but still it sucked taking it in all the time for intermittent problems. i'm staying far away from chevy...if i need performance i'll go german (not vw or audi), otherwise staying with asian

Haha, a vette was always my dream car growing up, so got that out of the way. I like the car I have now, Mazdaspeed3, lots of fun to throw around, and fairly practical being a hatch, and decent fuel mileage when I want it.

Upvote 0
Haha, a vette was always my dream car growing up, so got that out of the way. I like the car I have now, Mazdaspeed3, lots of fun to throw around, and fairly practical being a hatch, and decent fuel mileage when I want it.

that's a nice little car...i test drove it and couldn't get comfy with the shifter feeling too close to me or something

Reactions: AntimonyER
Upvote 0
just a tip, i replaced the google lady's voice with IVONA text-to-speech which is in a free beta right now on android market. i was ready to kill that lady.

Thanks for the great tip! I downloaded Ivona and now Ginny my Nexus has a real live voice! :D

The website shows that there is a Safe Driving Mode, allowing Ivona to read texts and e-mails out loud. Heck if I can find it. Anyone know where that setting is? Does ICS not have it? :thinking:

Upvote 0

Interesting that the article says it's only for the Verizon Nexus, but the instructions say its only for the GSM Nexus... the article also says you have to be straight stock... but the instructions (which are for 4.0.2, BTW) say you need CWM.

I'm SO confused! :eek:

EDIT: Okay, I'm less confused now. Had a Gulf War moment :p but still: how do you install the update if you're straight stock?

Upvote 0
jbdan, did you use to be a guide, like way back in the OG Droid days. Seems like I remember seeing you in green when I was getting ready to rot my OG. I saw you earlier today on a GNex thread and wanted to ask, but I didn't want to hijack the thread. I think it's OK to hijack this thread, its a little more freeflowing:D

I've always been a guide just never dressed in green. :p j/k

I've never owned an OG just the Eris, Inc, Bionic, and now GN. DId you own one of those perhaps?

I dunno about his past, but I would nominate him now if I had a say, his help in the root sections (and here) has been awesome.

Nice of you to say Anti thank you! It's been paid back I've had some incredible assistance from members here over the years.

Point well taken:eek:. I was certainly not trying to shame anyone. Before I became active posting I read a lot of threads here with my D1 and D2 without really paying attention to names. When I saw his it struck a chord so he must have helped me or had a positive influence from way back in the ancient times (at least in Android years). Whether he was in green or not is then irrelevant to the point I wanted to make.

jbdan, Wherever or whatever it was long ago, you helped me and I want to give you a long overdue thanks:)!!

Well I'm glad to have been of service, I take great joy in any help I can offer anyone. Seriously :) and thank you for the thanking!

Upvote 0
Interesting that the article says it's only for the Verizon Nexus, but the instructions say its only for the GSM Nexus... the article also says you have to be straight stock... but the instructions (which are for 4.0.2, BTW) say you need CWM.

I'm SO confused! :eek:

EDIT: Okay, I'm less confused now. Had a Gulf War moment :p but still: how do you install the update if you're straight stock?

The instructions at Android Central are whacked for several reasons in my opinion.

• As you read, their steps take you a heartbeat away from rooting, and you've already noted that that's not for you.
  • Typically, an Android phone can be updated by taking the update image file, giving it the name reserved for your phone model, and just rebooting your phone.
    • Sorry, not sure where you'd find that name out, maybe in the rooting forum. Depending on the update type, it could be a tricky name or just update.zip.
    • This update zip file may not be in the form to allow that.
    • The method I'm describing is used by Android OTA.

In any case, if you don't mind me saying, I would proceed with extreme caution.

In the first place, ClockworkMod recovery lets you make an image backup of your existing rom, and they are skipping that step.

In the second place, they note that this may simply be a testing rom, it's not going out officially yet. Rooters typically have no issues flashing this sort of thing, because they're already comfortable with image backup and more importantly, restore, in case the new goods are a step backwards.

This whole situation may or may not be ok, but it doesn't sound like the consequences or installation have been well-thought out.

If you still want to proceed, any number of us can walk you through the flashing steps in CWM, it's actually quite easy.

Upvote 0
In any case, if you don't mind me saying, I would proceed with extreme caution.

Well said - I choose not to proceed at all. My Nexus is working just fine, never dropped a call, and I am in no hurry to force a mysterious OS update onto her. When Google's ready to release it as an OTA, they will.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I've always been a guide just never dressed in green. :p j/k

I've never owned an OG just the Eris, Inc, Bionic, and now GN. DId you own one of those perhaps?

Nice of you to say Anti thank you! It's been paid back I've had some incredible assistance from members here over the years.

Well I'm glad to have been of service, I take great joy in any help I can offer anyone. Seriously :) and thank you for the thanking!

And now for my public apology to the Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole. I never meant to publicly question someone or their past status on the forums. I obviously stepped out of etiquette in asking about someones previous status and that was pointed out to me. I was merely trying to highlight someone who had a great impact on turning me from a noob to someone who is able to contribute to the forum, and my execution was flawed. jbdan, I apologize. But as is said in an earlier post, I do want to give you a long overdue thanks.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the great tip! I downloaded Ivona and now Ginny my Nexus has a real live voice! :D

The website shows that there is a Safe Driving Mode, allowing Ivona to read texts and e-mails out loud. Heck if I can find it. Anyone know where that setting is? Does ICS not have it? :thinking:

I tested Ivona on an eBook, What a laugh..:D

On a side note; Ivona app keeps asking me to change my text to speach settings, which i did make Ivona the default setting.Hmm.:thinking:

Upvote 0
Long post on the deal on staff, for pupkact, but open to the public if interested, and hidden if not. :)

And now for my public apology to the Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole. I never meant to publicly question someone or their past status on the forums. I obviously stepped out of etiquette in asking about someones previous status and that was pointed out to me. I was merely trying to highlight someone who had a great impact on turning me from a noob to someone who is able to contribute to the forum, and my execution was flawed. jbdan, I apologize. But as is said in an earlier post, I do want to give you a long overdue thanks.

I don't know about others, but I didn't mean to imply that you crossed any boundaries. All I was saying was to check with jbdan privately if he's interested before forwarding endorsement requests to Frisco. :)

And personally, I don't think it's ever wrong to publicly express appreciation for fellow forum members. :)

And asking about past status is ok if not taken to a personal level - whether Guide or Mod, we're just members like you doing a voluntary, temporary job. There have been literally hundreds of staff members over the forums' lifetime, but longer tenures have been held by only a handful - the pace and commitment required isn't small, and so the temporary part of the gig is more than perfectly natural. Example, some real life stuff hit for me, so I stepped down as mod so someone could fill the slot and protect the site. When things turned around, I was given another opportunity to serve. And that's not an uncommon story for staff, Guides or Mods.

All members here are held in equally high esteem. Unlike Animal Farm, around here, some animals are not more equal than others. So, there's no loss of esteem when someone steps down from staff.

So, based on that, there's really no harm in asking, hey didn't I see you on staff before?

I appreciate your sensitivity on this issue and your desire to do what's right, but I'd say it's all good, I didn't see you stepping on any toes, so - go have fun. :)

Bottom line, pupkact, you're ok. :)

Good evening everyone

Howdy!

Upvote 0
I'm game. I have no plans other than putting laundry away. What do you want to talk about?

Had a bad day, I've had to PM a few to many mods today. I guess I tried to help where I shouldn't have. I'm not giving up though. I just got to figure it out. In person I am pretty reserved, but I am comfortable around these parts. I like helping folks and am getting through the growing pains learning the ropes:(.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones