Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

1. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me! VIP Member

I'm all for that idea. I'd want a password to be able to protect it but I'd definitely use something like that.
  2. jmar

jmar Nexican VIP Member

I think it is great! You should think about adding the ability to take pics natively within the app as well. I could see this idea being sold to esurance and the like. :)
  3. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Well-Known Member

Yes, plus a voice recorder function, so you can record contemporaneous notes of what happened while it's still fresh in your mind. Maybe even a recorded admission from the idiot that t-boned you ;)

Seriously, great idea. It will sell.
  4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Play Nice~ VIP Member

That would be great, especially since most info could easily be collected by the phone itself. You may also want to collect damage photos so you not paying for anything unrelated to the crash. And as far as my suggestions below, I'm not even thinking of OCR, just a quick easy way to get the info so it can be put on forms later.
    edit: meant to mention my comments in blue below :(
  5. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

w00t! You rock been looking forward to this :)
  6. Stigy

Stigy Some say... VIP Member

Just toying with some basic UI stuff -- made in MSPaint (all I have at work).

[​IMG]
    Unforgiven and ryancmatchett like this.
  7. Unforgiven

Looks like a good mock up to start. Had to load it on my phone to see:rolleyes:
  8. Unforgiven

OK, so I'm thick.:eek: I have nearly 1,100 posts and I just realized I could click the arrow next to a name in quotes and it will take to the post. Facepalm:D
    ryancmatchett, BabyBlues and jbdan like this.
  9. Copacetic

Copacetic Well-Known Member

Stiggy, have you looked at the apps from insurance companies that provide a similar product? It might give you more ideas. Good Luck!
  10. Stigy

Yeah just went thorugh State Farm, Allstate and Geico apps.

State Farm requires you to login to add Vehicle/Car Owner which is a huge hit in my book. Geico's vehicle and person information is just a giant text box for information with no separate values.

Allstate is the only decent one that lets you go through all the steps without logging in until you go file a claim for the car. I am going to use some of their steps in my app, but improve upon them. I want to make it very straightforward so that if you are in an accident its not difficult to fill out at all. I've been in them and the last thing you want to do is have it be a confusing/annoying experience.
    BabyBlues likes this.
  11. Stigy

BabyBlues likes this.
  12. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! VIP Member

Sorry for the delay, I had a dental appointment. A Sea Story, huh? Okay.

This is no lie:

Our Commodore was touring the ship after our overhaul and just before sea trials. Our Skipper was showing him around the freshly-painted ship... everything was sparkling. The Chief Boatswain's mate was in company, showing them around the deck.

They approached a couple of Boatswain's Mates and called them over. The Commodore pointed to a blue valve on the starboard side. It had a handle and a nozzle.

Commodore: Boatswain's Mate, what is this valve?
    Boatswain's Mate: Commodore, that's a fresh water valve, Sir.
    Commodore: You think so, do you?
    Boatswain's Mate: Yes Sir, I do.

Commodore turns to the Chief Boatswain's Mate: Chief, do you agree that this is a fresh water valve?

Chief: Aye Sir, I do. That's a fresh water valve.
    Commodore: Chief, I've been around ships for 28 years, and THIS is a pressure relief valve for the fresh water system.
    Chief: Begging the Commodore's pardon, Sir, but that's a fresh water valve.
    Commodore: So if I turn this valve, you're saying that WATER will come out, and not AIR?
    Chief: Yes Sir.

At this point (you KNOW what's coming) the Commodore leans over the valve and turns the handle, fully expecting to receive a slight "hiss" of air.

WHOOSH!

The Commodore gets a full stream of water, right in the face. Knocked his gold-trimmed cap clean off his head!

Naturally, the two Boatswain's Mates busted out laughing, unable to contain themselves. The Chief bent over, picked up the Commodore's hat and offered him a handkerchief... BARELY able to contain his own laughter.

The Skipper stood there, bristling that his crew was busting a gut at his Commodore. BAD IMAGE.

The Commodore, still dripping water from his nose and chin, snatched his cap from the Chief's hand, refused the handkerchief and mumbled "Carry On."

That ended the tour.

:D
  13. Copacetic

Copacetic Well-Known Member

Cool, a friend has Travelers and likes their app, fwiw ;)
  14. Unforgiven

I was kinda thinking that a lot of people aren't the plan ahead type. While having vehicle information preloaded would be useful, you may want to keep it optional. Say you are the passenger in the vehicle but you have the app, you obviously wouldn't have the drivers information preloaded. Same idea for people like me. I don't use a ton of apps on my phone. I do have a mental list of apps for certain situations. If you did create something like this and I was aware of it. I would probably get from the market when I needed it (i.e. right after I get rear ended).
  15. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

I have Travelers, and while their app IS decent, they actually gave me two little cards which were perforated to the insurance card, in case of an accident, I just tear one off, write my phone number down, and give it to the other driver, and the other one has blanks for their info.

Now if only I had a pen in my car... Looks like your app could still come in handy ;)
  16. tpags

tpags Well-Known Member

Especially if the 2 people involved in accident can beam each others info. That would be sweet.
    Not sweet to get into accident though. I hope I never have to think about it. 16 yrs driving with no accidents. (Knock on wood)
  17. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

I can see this being how BB meets her future husband... (Accident his fault, of course ;)
    Stigy and BabyBlues like this.
  18. Stigy

I wasn't going to make it a requirement for your information to be preloaded into the device. You would be able to set it, but wouldn't be required to.
    Unforgiven likes this.
  19. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me! VIP Member

Lol. Funny.
    Android is how I met my bf though. :D

(I should probably say AF not just Android) ;):D
  20. Unforgiven

I got home and plugged in my phone and it gave me a thought. Are you talking about the white charging notification? If so you can turn it off under notifications. This is the only one that I have that still blinks with the screen on.
  21. ryancmatchett

ryancmatchett VIP Member VIP Member

Finally went gold. Big thanks to everyone here and AF in general. Android-on folks.....
    chiph411, breadnatty08, jmar and 6 others like this.
  22. halon

halon hakuna matata VIP Member

My grab bag from the grocery store.

[​IMG]
  23. Stigy

Not bad at all.

I might enjoy a 120 minute from Dogfish Head tonight.
  24. halon

halon hakuna matata VIP Member

I won't be drinking any of them tonight. I just moved into a new apartment that didn't come with a fridge. A guy at work let me borrow a mini. Should be cold by tomorrow.