Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Last Updated:

1. Stigy

Stigy Some say... VIP Member

Any good Objective-C tutorials so I can understand the language?

I haven't done C (C++) coding in a long time and some of this stuff confuses me. Implementation, synthesizing variables, etc.

Gonna PM you a question.

2. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Ah, bracketology. I had a really good year once, had only 4 wrong going into the elite 8, But only got 3 of the last 7 games right. Of course it was the games my team (UofF) played in and won, so I didn't mind ;)
  3. Stigy

I'm having my brother do my bracket for me this year -- I remember filling it out via Sports Illustrated a few years back, but haven't followed it for quite some time.

My brother is a huge sports buff so he does sports stuff for me and I do nerd/geek stuff for him. Our agreement works pretty well.
  4. vandyman

vandyman Well-Known Member

TV purchase tip;

Stand off about 10 feet to the side of the TV. If you can still see the picture, it is a good TV for family viewing.
    ^^^Try this the next time you are in a store on different TVs and you will see what I am talking about.
    chiph411, Thats, Stigy and 1 other person like this.
  5. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Well-Known Member

I am humiliated, disappointed, disillusioned, etc. that my alma mater UCLA can't even find it's way to the arena, let alone the Big Dance. Oh the shame. When I was a boy...:rolleyes:

Oh and who is looking forward to seeing Tebow walk the sidelines with a clipboard, while he watches Peyton lead the Broncos? :D
  6. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Isn't there some sort of metric to use to determine what size tv to purchase (screen size:distance from viewing)? Ours is a 32" and we sit barely 6' from the screen (tiny apartment) and I think it's about perfect.
  7. Stigy

Here is a handy calculator to do so: Viewing Distance Calculator
    vandyman likes this.
  8. AntimonyER

No, no metric, only the following rule:

Always buy the biggest TV you can afford, and if you are willing to charge it and therefore buy more than you can afford, buy the biggest TV period.
    -Its The American Way Foundation.

jmar, breadnatty08 and BabyBlues like this.
  9. Thats

Thats That guy is This VIP Member

TV TIP: Go LED and never look back. The contrast of the colors will astound you, not to mention the ease of replacing anything that goes wrong (it's just sections of LEDs which are cheap). They also are incredibly thin and reasonably priced. They are the only TV I will recommend to anyone that I know.
    chiph411, NCTurner, The_Chief and 3 others like this.
  10. ryancmatchett

ryancmatchett VIP Member VIP Member

We will be going Samsung 46" LED...but that may be personal preference in our living room about 7ft away and to the side....good viewing and colors in our space...with afternoon sun on the TV, curtains are used to diffuse. Plus we have a large saltwater fish tank in the living room, so we have extraneous blue light that the TV will compete against.

I am relearning C and C++ too...

Good luck and hope everyone is having a good day!!
    Thats likes this.
  11. AntimonyER

Yeah my next TV will be LED, they look great, and are quite thin, so I can mount it on the wall. But only when my existing TVs die, thankfully I don't have a TV bug like I do a phone bug.
  12. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Well-Known Member

Haha, my wife feels the same way about me. If I had the TV bug as bad as the phone bug, my wife would kill me. To top it off I've caught the gun bug lately, lol.
  13. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Another +1 for LED!

We saved up & bought a 55" Samsung LED 3DTV and the picture in STUNNING! I have never seen such brilliant images from a TV set.

And I can say THIS: 3D has, er, evolved a bit since the days of the red & blue glasses :D
  14. MSUgEEk

I would like to request a stoppage of the TV talk....I'm getting TV envy, lol
    ryancmatchett likes this.
  15. HanSolo

HanSolo Well-Known Member

No chance you keep Tebow if you land Manning. He would suck as a backup, because he wouldn't be able to run Manning's offense if Manning goes down again.

I see you guys landing Manning, and shipping Tebow off to Jacksonville or Miami for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I just hope that the Bears change their cheapskate ways and pick up Vincent Jackson and/or Mario Williams.

Free agency hasn't been this good in I don't know how long!

Edit: Check that. I forgot your offensive line stinks. lol

Manning to Arizona!!
  16. MSUgEEk

I agree 100% with that. The two are polar opposites as QBs and in order for either to succeed, you have to mold your offense around them. They aren't interchangable at all. Tebow needs a different type of receiver and a different type of linemen in front of him so he can run the read-option. Manning needs a plethora of receivers running precisely timed routes with a good pass blocking O-line.

Whoever ends up with Tebow has a good QB, they just need to mold the offense to his skillset and draft a good backup that can run the same offense. Plenty of those in college now, so you should be able to find a decent one even with a later round pick.
  17. Thats

Thats That guy is This VIP Member

I MUCH prefer TV talk over NFL talk. If we want to talk football, let's talk FCS or even FBS football before the NFL!

North Dakota State University Bison - Defending Division 1 FCS National Champions!
  18. MSUgEEk

I'll talk some FBS football :) SEC rules everyone else drools :D
  19. breadnatty08

Afternoon all. I'm already sweating, it's just too damn hot out! Bout to turn the ac on, ugh (our 2nd floor apt faces west so we get all the afternoon sun/heat).
    Trying to figure out what's going on in the city; we've had a very high amount of sirens going on and lots of helicopters circling. Nothing terribly new as I'm used to it in DC, but figured maybe something's up.
  20. MSUgEEk

Was looking up the Bio of a music group, The Band Perry, and noticed they're from Mississippi. I knew there were a lot of musicians from there, but never realized how many and how many of them were so influential.
  21. dawnierae

dawnierae Well-Known Member long have I been away?'re GREEN! Congrats, dear! :D
    The_Chief and BabyBlues like this.
  22. breadnatty08

It's always fun finding out where bands are from. When I lived in Lawrence, KS, there were a ton of great local bands, and many venues for them to play there. Haven't discovered many locals in DC (though haven't looked that hard). I think the most famous are Duke Ellington (lots of jazz clubs here), Tori Amos, Dave Grohl, Fugazi. Looks like Wiki has a nice page just for it.
  23. MSUgEEk

It's interesting, for a state with as few people as Mississippi there are so many musicians and so many of them were very influential. BB King, Ike Turner, Elvis Presley, Jimmy Buffet, Faith Hill, Tammy Winette, Conway Twitty, (hate to admit this one) Brittney Spears, Marty Stuart, Chris LeDoux, 3 Doors Down, Saving Abel, even Nate Dogg and Soulja Boy! lol

edit: source is Wikipedia so some may not be entirely accurate, I know most are though.
  24. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me! VIP Member

You've been gone a long time!! Thanks. How are you?
  25. dawnierae

dawnierae Well-Known Member

Pretty good...just droppin' in for a quick hey!