Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Last Updated:

1. HanSolo

HanSolo Well-Known Member

Yes, Touch is great!

Ha ha. Honestly, I've never watched a minute of it. The promo's are just so annoying though. I'm not against singing shows; I like American Idol and Xtina's Boobs - er, I mean The Voice - but I don't think I like musical dramas.

You do know it came back already, last Thursday, right? It was a so-so episode. But I love Community too.

2. Stigy

Stigy Some say... VIP Member

I went with the 5D Classic a year ago because my XTI had to be sent back to Canon for repairs and I wanted to go full frame. Never wanting to shoot video the 5Dc was the obvious choice and I haven't looked back since.
  3. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Well-Known Member

Yep, would love a full-frame, but video will come in VERY handy on the 60D. Don't want to have to pack up a dSLR and all it's gear and then pack a video camera too. Otherwise I would have went with an older 5D as well.
  4. Copacetic

Copacetic Well-Known Member

I tried both side by side, the Canon ruled.
  5. halon

halon hakuna matata VIP Member

To continue the story:

I've logged on to Verizon One Bill, Verizon wireless and Directv. ALL show a balance. When I go to pay it shows I don't owe with a zero balance. I call Verizon she confirms that I owe but I have a zero balance so I don't owe. I have two friends that have just checked their accounts and the same thing happening to them. I have a feeling sometime next week that my tv and the cell phones will be shut off because the bill isn't paid or the next bill will be double?

My sister sent me her share of the cell phone part of the bill and I sent it to Verizon anyways because I'm sure their system is messed up, to say the least.

I know I owe directv for moving and for the month.

I used to have verizon dsl but that was canceled because they couldn't provide me service to the part of town I moved to. Actually, I had to call them 3 times to cancel it. First time the girl said okay it is canceled but you'll have an early termination fee. The next day I called back and the guy agreed with me that I shouldn't have to pay that since Verizon couldn't provide service. He said everything is taken care of. Just last week when I check the one bill site it had a charge for DSL service along with what I owe for tv and cell phones. Anyway. I call and the girl says there is no record of dsl being canceled. So she does it and says okay it is done and you'll be credited.
  6. Copacetic

Other than the 10-22 lens I already owned, I also stuck went with the T2i for the video, great d EOS Movie mode with manual exposure control and full HD. Also love the Eye-Fi support.
  7. Stigy

Jeez what a situation. I've never had a problem with my Verizon Wireless or Verizon FiOS bill to date. Hope you get this all resolved.
  8. NCTurner

NCTurner Well-Known Member

I hope your dog gets better soon. We have a ton of geese around here...hopefully our dogs can avoid the poop. :)

I have to agree with you on the pit bull discussion. As an attorney myself, I handle dog bite cases. I think it is naive to think the pit bulls are just like any other breed - they're not. They do have a "propensity" to be harmful. Not all of them are, but they can be, more often than other breeds. It seems that once a pit attacks, it simply won't stop. That's one reason they are used so often for dog fighting. If they attack a small child, well, it can be disastrous. Other breeds may bite but most of the time they don't continue to attack. I remember a few years ago, there was a national story of the woman, I think about 30 years old, sitting on the bed, talking on the phone, petting her pit bull like she did for years, the dog never as much as growled at her, but it suddenly attacked her, tore her lip completely off. The 911 call was horrendous to listen to.

I saw Dog Whisperer one night, and Caesar was dealing with a pit bull and a young couple. Ultimately, he took the pit himself, and he said the couple simply weren't the right owners for that dog. I think they weren't firm enough to exert dominance over the dog.

Not all pits are bad of course, but I think they DO have a propensity to be dangerous, more than other dogs. Obviously, there are other dog breeds that can also have this propensity...not singling out pits.
    HanSolo likes this.
  9. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

NO FAIR! I was away all weekend, hoping and hoping, and STILL don't have my Capta! Maybe today... I know they just mailed out virtually all of the first-run Captas to backers so any day now I'll be sporting the coolest and most versatile little innovation ever made for smartphones :cool:

Oh BTW hi again folks... 'm BACK! :D

We had to evacuate from Fort Walton Beach during Hurricane Ivan... what a mess when we came back! A week without power, BIG boats in the middle of Highway 90, and the ONLY roadside sign left standing in Destin was Chik-fil-A's. Thankfully the water never came closer to our house than a block away: we were spared.
  10. Copacetic

No thoughts of hurricanes today...
    Pano from the Nexis!
    breadnatty08, The_Chief and NCTurner like this.
  11. NCTurner

NCTurner Well-Known Member

thanks for sharing this! I wondered about that device. I have a Cruzelite case (kind of a hard gel case)...think the Capta would hold on to that?

Also, is there a way to put it on a regular tripod?
  12. The_Chief

I don't mean to snipe or ninja Stigy, but I don't know if he's here to answer your question. Yes, Capta has a 1/4-20 hole in the bottom that threads onto ANY standard tripod. FINALLY we can video and time-lapse with Nexus from a stable platform! You just stick ANY smartphone on it - case and all - and then twist it off. Here's the link to a video on Capta:

Capta: Stick it, Lean it, Wrap it, Attach it. by UDS (Unique Design Solutions) — Kickstarter

Retail is coming soon! :D
    Copacetic and NCTurner like this.
  13. Stigy

Their "sticky" pad is supposed to be able to stick to everything and it took quite some force to get my GNex off the pad so I would pretty much say yes. They tested it with a BUNCH of phones and it held on tight.

There is a video on the Kickstarter page where he attaches it to a string on PVC pipe and spins it around with an iPhone attached, its that strong: Capta: Stick it, Lean it, Wrap it, Attach it. by UDS (Unique Design Solutions) — Kickstarter

Also yes there is a 1/4"-20 screw hole on the bottom for tripod attachment.
    NCTurner likes this.
  14. Stigy

Beat me by one minute. :eek:
    Copacetic likes this.
  15. MSUgEEk

Does the Capta leave any kind of sticky residue or film on your phone? I'm a bit confused as to the material they are using that holds that strong but doesn't affect the phone once off of the Capta.
  16. The_Chief

You want me to delete my post? I am terribly sorry, Stigy, I don't like sniping people like this and stealing their thunder. Feel free to add anything! :eek:

In fact, I'll let you answer Geek's question...

EDIT: OMG OMG OMG I got it I got it I got it! It's Christmas in March!!! :D :D :D

I just checked the mail and my Capta has arrived! WOO HOOOOOOOO

Now to unpackage that puppy and put it through its paces!
  17. Stigy

There is no sticky residue left on the phone either. Its some type of proprietary material they developed and holds it very, very well but leaves no residue or anything the phone. Used it on my GNex and iPod touch and you would never know it was attached to Capta.

Whatever they are using is really awesome.

LOL not at all -- I don't mind, just busting your chops. We're all here to provide information so its no big deal to me at all. Not like you hurt my feelings.

AND YAY so exciting. Take some pics and let me know what you think. Did you get the Capta and Gorilla Pod with suction cup on it?
  18. MSUgEEk

I may have to jump on the Capta then. Would love to have something like that to set up the Nexus and take some time-lapse photos during family gatherings and stuff.
  19. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

So back to the camera, I have a lowly XS, although nothing lowly about the pictures. It is perfect for what it is, a novice DSLR. And the ability to get shots of the kids is so much better than with a point and shoot.
    Stigy likes this.
  20. halon

halon hakuna matata VIP Member

21. MSUgEEk

Very interesting concept, but too minimalistic for me right now. I also don't see how it can really ever match the sharpness of actual lenses with variable focal lengths. Maybe it can, I just don't know right now and it's hard for me to imagine a way to REALLY focus after the fact.
  22. The_Chief

Yeah I backed Capta at the $30 level so I got Capta, the COOL suction cup mount and the PU pad (not sure what I'll use that for but I'll think of something LOL)
  23. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

That Capta looks really cool. I may have to look into getting one. They mention on their website that it's cheaper to buy direct than from a 3rd party. Is this true?
  24. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Well-Known Member

While I agree that we should not generalize, my opinion is that American pit bulls have been irresponsibly bred for the specific purpose of dog fighting. The "average" street pit came from a home based puppy mill, not a professional breeder. Many of those were bred by gangs, specialized for fighting. As a result there is a disproportionate number of aggressive pit bulls out there, leading to the generalized reputation. Apparently, the reputation is warranted, as evidenced by the CDC statistics on fatal dog attacks, which ranks the Pit at almost twice the incident (not per capita) rate of the Rottweiler.
    Lots of footnotes.

This is an interesting statistic and I would love to see the source.
    NCTurner likes this.
  25. Stigy

breadnatty08 and Copacetic like this.