Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

1. quiklives

quiklives Well-Known Member

Actually, dogs that are bred to fight are very specifically bred not to be aggressive towards humans. The owners have to be able to step in and break up the fight without being attacked, so any dog that shows human aggression is immediately killed, along with all of its litter and parents.

I don't have the statistics about labs bookmarked, and I'm not at home, so I'll have to find it later. On the subject though, part of the problem with bite statistics is that any mutt dog that bites tends to be labeled as a pit, whether or not it has any pit blood. All sorts of bulldogs, boxers, basically any dog with short ears and a big square head gets labeled as a pit as well. I've seen hounds get labeled as pit bulls when they're aggressive.

As for dogs that are bred to fight being so dangerous, try googling where Michael Vick's dogs are now. IIRC, one had to be put down for aggression. The other 40-some are happy, healthy family pets. Some of them are therapy dogs, quite a few have their canine good citizen certification.

If anything, it's a testament to this breed's forgiving, happy-go-lucky nature that so few of them ARE dangerous, considering the disgusting way we've treated them.
    BabyBlues likes this.
  2. NCTurner

NCTurner Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for the info! Awesome info. I'd love to be able to put Nessie on my regular tripod with something like this. When I did a time lapse video Christmas morning of my family opening presents, I had to rubberband my nexus to my tripod...looked quite sophisticated! :)

Whoo hoo! My first multiquote!
    Unforgiven likes this.
  3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

NCTurner likes this.
  4. Unforgiven

Unforgiven On to Seattle... Moderator

LOL, I think it took me about 500 or so posts to figure out multiquote too!!:rolleyes::D

Congratulations.
    NCTurner likes this.
  5. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Well-Known Member

6. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me! VIP Member

I'm not doing anything to my account until they force me to - and by force I mean basically tell me my account is null and void. :p
    Unforgiven and The_Chief like this.
  7. Unforgiven

I'm with BB. I'm keeping the grandfathered unlimited even though I barely reach 1GB a month now. Who knows what it will be like 12-24 months from now.
  8. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Same here. I like not having to worry about it, even though I am not using enough to worry about if I weren't unlimited. If I ever were to get LTE at my desk, that unlimited might finally be used.
  9. ajdroidx

ajdroidx Well-Known Member

Nice to see another weather enthusiest here on AF :) I LOVE weather and clouds

Glad your pup is doing better. I agree with the pit bull issue. Not the dogs fault their owners are idiots and have no business with the animal. :)

I have a 30D for myself but its pretty much sat for the past year since I got my new camera, a 5DmkII. The 30D is a very nice camera, 8mp, should make great 8x10s. Does pretty good at AF, though its now pro camera, a used 30D would be a great starter camera. If you need something smaller a powershot s95 or s100 or perhaps g12.

Yeah, I don't need all this photo chat right now. Its been hard to get out and shoot due to the weather (I shoot a lot of landscapes and sunsets) and the clouds often make the photos. Also work interfering along with the weather.

I got the 11-16mm lens. Its very wide. Quality lens and the ONLY non canon lens I got
  10. Stigy

Stigy Some say... VIP Member

Anyone with an iOS device - looking for some assistance. I am sure other people can chime in too since the Watering Hole is very active today. Developing UI for my Weight Watchers app on iOS (might make it a web app ported via Phonegap, but that's besides the point). I know the input boxes look correct for iPhone/iPad but wondering about the button placement, look and layout. Also the Points: 0 text looks a bit out of place on the gray background. Thoughts?

[​IMG]
  11. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Well-Known Member

Just wanted a happy dog post in honor of #500. Woo Hoo. "Senior Member" (no age cracks please) :D

[​IMG]
    jmar, chiph411, dawnierae and 6 others like this.
  12. Unforgiven

congrats on 500 Ihatemytreo
    IHateMyTreo likes this.
  13. BabyBlues

What about something like this
    [​IMG]
    Unforgiven likes this.
  14. Unforgiven

Pulling out my phone so I can see BB's photo. :rolleyes:

edit: I like the look of BB's better.
    BabyBlues likes this.
  15. BabyBlues

Its just a variation for Stigy to see.
  16. Unforgiven

I ninja'd you with my edit.:D
  17. BabyBlues

18. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Copacetic and BabyBlues like this.
  19. Unforgiven

I think with BB's image editing skills it should have blue eyes though.:D
  20. BabyBlues

I may end up doing that. I've been so bored at work its dangerous
  21. Copacetic

Copacetic Well-Known Member

Go for it!
  22. dawnierae

dawnierae Well-Known Member

Yikes! Poor pooch. :( Hope she feels better soon!

Agreed - and you have people who should never be allowed to own a dog AT ALL who seek these breeds out specifically for their aggressive tendencies, and then they proliferate the problem. One of many reasons I wish you had to have a license to breed dogs.

I had a Lhasa when my son was younger who had a very similar temperament. Of course, the damage those little dogs can do is minor compared to the damage larger breeds can do. I have fostered a couple of golden retrievers who had a high prey drive, and they would "attack" my pugs or my cat. It was more of an instinctive thing than an aggressive thing, but either way, the outcome is the same. Those goldens had to be moved to other foster homes that didn't have small animals, and they did fine.
    HanSolo likes this.
  23. BabyBlues

24. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Okay folks, you asked for pictures and here they are! Capta and Ginny in action!

Here is the front of Capta:

Capta1.jpg

And here's the back:

Capta2.jpg

Here's Ginny (my beloved Nexus) taking a pic of the TV using our tripod:

Capta3.jpg

And Ginny mounted securely on the Capta:

Capta4.jpg

How do you remove the smartphone? Just twist it and it comes right off. No sticky residue, no nothing.

And it angles my phone at any degree I want for my bedside clock / movie viewing - I don't need Samsung's $90 horizontal dock anymore! :D
  25. HanSolo

HanSolo Well-Known Member

Thanks, she's doing much better today. We're taking it a bit easy on her walking-wise (not too long at a time) and she's drinking and eating, so we're sure she'll be fine.

Not a good feeling, though, when you see blood coming out of your dog.

On another note,

I am nearing the end of Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn. I know a few on here recommended it a while ago and I finally got around to reading it. It's really good! I can't believe how much richer the story is than anything George Lucas came up with. It's too bad he's not going to do any more movies based on this trilogy. It would've been nice, but I guess it also would have been almost impossible to put any actors into the roles other than the ones we already know. No one else could play Han Solo, that's for sure.