Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

1. Copacetic

Copacetic Well-Known Member

Besides the above, we have one critical rule to all frozen meat...defrost naturally or in room temp water (while still in vac bag), NEVER defrost in microwave. Critical rule in our house ;)
    AntimonyER likes this.
  2. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Only exception is ground beef that is being crumbled. Even then I scrape off the thawed part each time the defrost tells me to turn it.
  3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven On to Seattle... Moderator

Generally with a rub, it should be put on the night before and you should also let the meat warm to room temp before cooking (45 minutes or so).
    I never defrost in the nuke. Throw it on the counter in the morning and in the fridge once it is thawed.
  4. Copacetic

Sorry you missed the Woot, Daily Steals gets them on occasion as well.
    I will post if I see them again.
  5. AndroiDad75

AndroiDad75 Well-Known Member

Thanks Copacetic,

I figured I would miss it, but it sounded like I might get it, since Roze was seeing it not long before I left work.

Thanks for keeping an eye out.
  6. Copacetic

Sooooo true. I love Rubs. We grill a lot and you are right, let the meat get to room temperature, makes a big difference.
  7. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

So we're on the steak discussion, eh?
    As a mostly vegetarian I probably shouldn't answer but I would vote for a new York strip. Rub with any spices you like with plenty of salt. Grill or broil is best. Mashed potatoes is my favorite side. Lots of blue cheese and garlic and you're golden. Some nice light red wine would be a perfect pairing.
  8. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

I could happily point you to THESE:

http://www.amazon.com/Rocketfish-High-Definition-Headphones-Bluetooth-Enabled-RF-MAB2

AWESOME! :D

In my youth I enjoyed the infamous Delmonico cut... but they don't cut it anymore because it's my understanding that you can only get 4 or 5 per cow.

So I am resigned to content myself with a good Ribeye, 12-16 oz, medium.
  9. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me! VIP Member

Steak - probably my favorite meal. Give me a ribeye or new york strip or skirt steak medium rare and I'm a happy woman. If you do it on a charcoal grill I might even drool. And add in some roasted corn and asparagus and you're golden. For the complete win - give me a nice red wine to pair with it. *swoon*
  10. CaptainRon

CaptainRon Well-Known Member

I KNEW you were my kind of woman!
  11. The_Chief

While we're talking grilling...

I found - and won - an old Safari Quik Cook Grill off eBay! For those of you who don't know what it is, it's a small grill that uses only newspaper as fuel. You wad up 12 sheets of newspaper, light the top piece, and slap your food on top. Since paper burns at 451 degrees and it's up to temperature immediately, the food starts cooking instantly!

The grill has holes around the edges to control airflow, allowing it to burn about 11 minutes. 5-1/2 minutes per side, you got a nice juicy steak ready to eat before charcoal or gas grills ever get up to temp.

Newspaper gives it a good, smoky, grilled flavor and all newsprint ink is soy-based and non-toxic.

It was sold in the early 1990s on one of the first infomercials. We wore ours out and just discovered them out there again. If you have a chance to grab one (or two - always good to have a spare), they're perfect for camping, picnics, power outages or just plain SPEED COOKING.

Anyway, hope you learned something from my crowing here. Back to the steaks :D
    jmar likes this.
  12. Unforgiven

Unforgiven On to Seattle... Moderator

Blue cheese is so bad for you but so delicious. I love a wedge of iceberge lettuce smothered in blue cheese dressing. Another nice treat is blue cheese and garlic melted atop a good ribeye.
  13. BabyBlues

Its also good on an appetizer platter stuffed in olives.
    Unforgiven likes this.
  14. halon

halon hakuna matata VIP Member

If I owned a metal roller and an welder I could easily make those. Or just make it square.
  15. The_Chief

You could do that... I'm just lazy I guess and bought it :cool:
  16. BabyBlues

Since we are talking about food I wanted to share the treats my mom made for the scrapbooking retreat she and I are at this weekend. Its luau themed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There are brownies covered in ganache.
    Carrot cake (NOT spice cake) with cream cheese frosting.
    White cake with vanilla frosting.
    The_Chief likes this.
  17. Copacetic

Perfection! Add grilled asparagus and a salad....mmmmmmmm
    BabyBlues and Unforgiven like this.
  18. The_Chief

I thought some of the Ladies in here would get a kick out of this:

Angels.jpg

:D
  19. halon

halon hakuna matata VIP Member

What is with people and blue cheese? I so hate that stuff.
  20. Copacetic

So sorry for you :)
  21. AntimonyER

Mmm, I'm putting my blue cheese chicken pasta on the menu next week. Vidalia onions are in season, the make awesome caramelized onions for this recipe.
  22. Copacetic

Fringe has ads running for a contest on the Sprint Network to win a Galaxy Nexus
  23. AntimonyER

I think we will soon be meeting our first Sprint brethren.
  24. CaptainRon

Just called the wife after we landed. Of course she wants to go out for dinner and asked if I wanted sushi or steak. Guess what my answer was...

Medium rare ribeye here I come!
  25. CaptainRon

The more the merrier!