Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

1. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Is anyone else a little worried about these phones coming out for Verizon now? First they gimp the hell out of the One X to make it the Inc. LTE, Note is nowhere to be found and the SGS3 is either not released or needs to have it's processor totally changed to work with LTE.
    I guess, when it comes time to upgrade from my Nexus, I'm hoping Verizon either releases another Nexus or at least has a super phone that's not another Moto Droid.
  2. Unforgiven

Unforgiven What does this button do? Moderator

I'm 17 months away from an upgrade, so I'm not stressed.
  3. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Nah, I am actually enjoying the lack of phone envy for the first time in a long time...
  4. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Well-Known Member

Are there any phones on any of the 3 major carriers with ICS yet?
  5. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

I agree: it probably IS a good phone. A GOOD phone.

Just not a Nexus.

Unless Verizon has something up its sleeve for November/December (like another Nexus!), then I guess I'll use my remaining upgrade to get the Darling Bride another Gnex. Trying to use our upgrades one year apart so I always get a new phone every year.

SURELY the fall/winter batch of Verizon super-phones will have at least one gem in amongst the gravel...
    BabyBlues likes this.
  6. MSUgEEk

Ditto
  7. BabyBlues

BabyBlues Trouble Just Finds Me! Moderator

8. breadnatty08

Are you all enjoying it because it makes it harder to regret your decision for the Nexus?
    I guess the flip side is I'm hoping manufacturers will slow down on over producing these small upgraded phones and pumping out 1-2 great flagships a year. Doubtful it will happend especially with Samsung and HTC, but one can only hope.
  9. AntimonyER

I think the Galaxy Note and GS2 got updated already.

update: But apparently not on AT&T yet... THey did roll out the update to the HTC Vivid.
  10. Unforgiven

I think the GS2 was the international only, though I could be wrong.
  11. Stigy

Stigy Some say... VIP Member

[​IMG]

Agreed.

In other opinions - I hope the new iPhone has NFC because unfortunately for something to take off or go mainstream it needs the support/backing of Apple and I'd love to start using my phone for payments and entry into places, etc.
    jmar and breadnatty08 like this.
  12. breadnatty08

And the SGS2 and Note are causing almost everyone with headaches. I've spend a bit of time in their forums calming people down (along with the Sensation). I don't know if it's mostly due to the OEM skins not playing well with ICS or the half baked ROMs they're running. My friend with a Note is running a ROM'd ICS and she's starting to have more and more problems (like music not being able to be played).
    I think it's a start of a wakeup call to at least HTC (and Moto, Acer), to minimize the amount of skinning they're doing to Android.
  13. AntimonyER

And the improvements to the stock interface in ICS make that a lot easier to do.
  14. MSUgEEk

AT&T SG2 is not on ICS yet. My dad has one and he's getting very impatient waiting on it. I almost convinced him to sell his and take a small loss in making the switch to an unlocked GSM Nexus when they dropped to $400
  15. Unforgiven

But makes the transition from Gingerbread to ICS very difficult for the skins themselves. Google did a little "you can't do that anymore" with the API's so developer's would not have to tweak apps to be compatible / render correctly with the skins IIRC.

So now lets say, get Sense to look the way is used to, large portions need to be completely rewritten instead of making incremental changes to support new features. I will say this is little more than an educated guess on my part.
  16. AntimonyER

Yeah, I'm sorry, my statement wasn't clear, I was referring to the NEED for massive skins on top of Android. Its a lot easier to scale the skins down because the stock interface is so much better than it used to be. Definitely agree that the act of placing those skins on top of ICS is a huge job for the manufacturers... but that just means even more incentive for them to keep it simple.
  17. Unforgiven

I believe that what Google tightened up should speed up the upgrade process in the future at the expense of GB-->ICS in order for those skinned devices to be gapps eligible.
  18. halon

halon hakuna matata VIP Member

19. AntimonyER

jmar and Stigy like this.
  20. MSUgEEk

21. Unforgiven

Anyone here using Forum Runner? It is an alternative to Tapatalk. I downloaded it today and am really liking it. The free version doesn't allow you to post, but at only $1.99 I got the paid version and it seems really nice. The only real gripe I have right now is there are no smileys available like TT, but that is minor. Maybe I'll join up on their forum and suggest they add them.

Anyway, here is a quick screenshot. I really like the quick buttons on the bottom, and the subscribed threads give you a count of any unread threads you have.
    [​IMG]
  22. Unforgiven

23. AntimonyER

24. breadnatty08

Honestly, I've tried Tapatalk (okay, I gave it a very brief try), downloaded Forum Runner on my Prime, but I still just prefer to use the browser for everything.
    I know BB and others are Tapatalk fanatics, but I just don't go for it. Maybe I'll give it another try.