Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

1. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Okay, van's back and full of gas. Time to proceed! :)

Hey MY astute friend, there's a point that I really CAN'T follow your guide, and I need everyone's advice:

The Jmar's Guide says to back up with TiBU. An outstanding app, which I own but do not have installed since I'm not yet rooted. HOWEVER, I have to unlock to root with this thing and that'll wipe the phone before I can install TiBU.

So using Wug's GN Rool Toolkit, I backed up all apps + data. INCLUDING Wallet! No big deal, I'll just reset Wallet in settings, delete data in App Settings, and then make ANOTHER backup in the Toolkit.

That way, it'll restore with 0.0kb of data. Something tells me that will work, but I'd like some confirmation. If the consensus is that even 0.0kb of data will somehow fry the secure element, I'll forego the entire backup... as I can't selectively restore like I can with TiBU.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: NVM, I ran Scary Alien's temp root for Windows and will install TiBU, making a backup THERE so I can selectively exclude Wallet's data completely. :)
  2. The_Chief

Okay, here's what's up:

Per my edit, I temporarily rooted Ginny, installed TiBu and moved the license key over from my Droid to the Nexus. Easy!

Made a backup of all apps EXCEPT Wallet. Easy!

Went into Astro and verified that the Titanium Backup folder is there.

Plugged it into the Win7 PC to move the backup and... NOTHING! Every folder is there EXCEPT Titanium Backup! :eek:

Plugged it into the Vista Laptop. Same thing: no TiBu folder! :confused:

Any clue as to why this folder is not showing up on either windows PC? It's BIZARRE!

EDIT: I thought I'd be clever... I created a dummy folder in Astro and copied all the files in the TiBu folder to it. Then I thought I'd just create a folder on the PC called "Titanium Backup" and move all the contents there. Backup done, right? WRONG!

Astro shows the dummy file nicely populated with stuff. The PC shows it completely empty. WTH???

Oh BTW: Telling the PC to show hidden files and folders did NOT work.
  3. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Try unplugging the phone and plugging it back in.
  4. The_Chief

I did, Anti. Several times. Still nothing :(

I'll be offline a bit but I look forward to reading all of your helpful advice when I get back later!
  5. AntimonyER

Looks like it is the MTP protocol rearing its ugly head. Do you have wifi at your home? You can go grab airdroid and transfer over wi-fi, a lot of people with your issue say that works.
  6. The_Chief

Geez Anti, I'm not sure I have enough app user data to bother with all this. My personal stuff has already been backed up. Thanks for your help, though...

With a 5 PM visitation and a 6PM meeting, I think I'll wait until morning to start wiping and unlocking and flashing ROMs and stuff.

*SIGH*
  7. AntimonyER

Yeah, this is one time where an sd card would really come in handy.
  8. Copacetic

Copacetic Well-Known Member

Anyone?
  9. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Is there anyone in here who is NOT on staff? :p
    breadnatty08 likes this.
  10. AntimonyER

That is kind of what the manual instructions on page 2 imply... Although if you are already on the leaked IMM30B ROM, you can also just flash the rom posted on droid-life yesterday.
  11. jmar

jmar Nexican VIP Member

I am not staff...but I loves me some gold!
  12. jmar

jmar Nexican VIP Member

I hear Steven59 used to be staff, but went to the dark side...
  13. Copacetic

Eg download to Nexie and flash over imm30b without returning to stock?
  14. Copacetic

I am not on staff, just a minion, lol
    jmar likes this.
  15. AntimonyER

Yep!
  16. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Shoveling Snow~ Moderator

Working on it boss.:vroam:

JK, there are many great folks in this thread, I think that is why so many of us have gone green over the last several months.
    jmar, breadnatty08 and AntimonyER like this.
  17. dawnierae

dawnierae Well-Known Member

Glad you liked it!

Me too...and I'm okay with that. :D
    jmar likes this.
  18. Copacetic

19. Copacetic

Started the day in rain outside of Asheville, drove through eastern Tennessee in a downpour. Sunshine through western Tennessee and now rain again coming into Texarkana. Today's weather needs a mood stabilizer, lol.
  20. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Evening everyone! Just on my way home. Rainy here but no complaints since we need it. Hope everyone had a great Friday.
  21. dawnierae

dawnierae Well-Known Member

Nasty here too. Hubby got called back into work due to the severe weather. Possible tornado touched down a few miles away. :eek::eek::eek:
  22. AntimonyER

Yeah I got in my car just before it let loose, was driving home in a mess.
  23. breadnatty08

Looks like it's hitting most of the east coast.
    Well, I'm home after a long day of work enjoying my greasy Five Guys dinner :).
  24. The_Chief

Guess what, folks?

If you've bothered following my drama, you'll know that the Titanium Backup folder wasn't there when I went to copy it to the PC.

After yet ANOTHER reboot, it was THERE! Along with all the juicy contents! :D

So copy it to the PC I did. I will restore all my apps on the other side of the unlock/root/ROM tomorrow morning.

Thanks for all the help so far - tomorrow's the big day!

Now everyone go have a great weekend!

:)
    AntimonyER and jmar like this.
  25. breadnatty08

Congrats Chief! Why it took you so long boggles my mind, but I'm sure you'll be a happy camper/Nexuser going forward. :)