Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Last Updated:

1. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Well-Known Member

He was a master, leading the way for all sci-fi writers and filmmakers.

He was also a warm and kind man. I spoke to him twice, some 45 years apart. Once as a 5th grader, cold-called him (he was listed in the phone book!) to ask him about his book that we were studying in school. I must have sounded like an idiot asking about symbolism and foreshadowing. He was amazingly welcoming and helpful. I had purchased his entire collection (paperback was all I could afford) and he personalized each one. Still on my bookshelf today. Then again I spoke to him two years ago, he was still kind and astute but his speech was suffering from the effects of a stroke. So sad. Huge loss for the literary world.

Advertisement
  2. Stigy

Stigy Some say... VIP Member

3. MSUgEEk

MSUgEEk Well-Known Member

4. Stigy

This was the original Google Maps - didn't even include Europe. Oh goodness.

[​IMG]
  5. Stigy

Offline Maps coming to Maps for Android!
    BabyBlues likes this.
  6. Unforgiven

Unforgiven -.. --- - / -.. .- ... .... Moderator

I saw that. There goes half the threads in Android Applications answered in one fell swoop.:rolleyes:
    Stigy likes this.
  7. Stigy

Street View backpack - this is incredible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Unforgiven likes this.
  8. Unforgiven

And 3D is up next...
  9. Unforgiven

It's cool that they are going to lug that thing through museums.
  10. Stigy

Oh my goodness - this is stuff we never thought possible.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Unforgiven

Oooh, they are demoing on an iPad just before Apple announces they are dropping Google maps. Coincidence?
  12. Stigy

That was Google Earth - not sure how they're going to handle it once they drop support for Google Maps but only time will tell.
  13. Stigy

Also (double post), but Google has its OWN planes - that's crazy.

Q from PCMag: "Are you using your own planes? Is Google investing in 3D-view planes -- and how are you going to address privacy issues?"

Brian: "Yes, in fact Google does have a fleet of planes with contractors that fly exclusively for Google. And the privacy issues is no different than we've had with aerial shots for years."
    Unforgiven likes this.
  14. Unforgiven

I see we are watching the same live blog:D
  15. Stigy

So not a bad event at all.

Some amazing things going down in the Maps department. Curious to see what happens when this comes to Android, but I don't think Apple can do anything better than Google Maps in iOS. Google just took a huge lead over any current or future mapping solution. The generating 3D models from flights is absolutely ridiculous.
  16. Unforgiven

I can't imagine being able to do that in large scale. And the quick mention of being able to pinpoint things by combining the 3D & 2D imagery, crazy.

I was watching it and did a check on my desktop google earth for an update, but alas, no.:rolleyes:
  17. MSUgEEk

Pretty sweet stuff coming up for google maps. I've seen some of their 3d stuff on the desktop and it's very nice.
  18. ajdroidx

ajdroidx Well-Known Member

Doing research this morning on a new device and possible new carrier.

I am split between the 4g LTE note (AT&T) and the razr maxx, But I read the maxx has some data issues as well (but don't seem to be as wide spread) and the note, well its a GSM device and I have not used AT&T, but I would likely buy it strait out and go month to month. I really wish big red had this thing.

Flip a coin I guess.
  19. Stigy

I saw a Note the other day and I don't think I could see myself using a device that big, eek.
  20. MSUgEEk

Why not the Galaxy SIII with Verizon?
  21. Unforgiven

I haven't held one, but they seem too big to be a phone and too small to be a tablet.
  22. ajdroidx

ajdroidx Well-Known Member

I am looking into that option as well, but my biggest fear with another samsung device is:

Same radio as the nexus then the same issues
    MTP (driver issues)

If the device addressed these (the MTP protocol can be dealt with by the use of a memory card)

I just looked at the coverage map (4g) for AT&T and there is NONE here in Colorado. I would have thought.
  23. MSUgEEk

What was the MTP issue you experienced?
  24. MSUgEEk

This is the culprit of the reception woes of the Nexus

[​IMG]

Horribly designed antenna.
  25. IHateMyTreo

IHateMyTreo Well-Known Member

I'm tracking this:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...ter-rumors-release-date-speculation-news.html

Moto at least has fewer radio issues.