• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Yeah, I suppose the CPU really don't matter, its just that the phone is basically out dated when we get it. I am not even sure the dual core chips are being fully utilized yet, let alone quad core. Sure the extra ram in the S3 is a bonus.

I just wish there was some kind of standard, but with GSM being the biggest network, us big red users are stuck with what they give us.

BTW, while I was in the AT&T store playing with the note, I ran a speed test on my nexus and hit 31.71 MBPS. Yes. With an M. Not KBPS. Talk about ironic.

BTW2. Yes. There is now a Galaxy Note in the house....

Upvote 0
I'm back. I really expected to be on more last week, but it turns out I did hard labor and slept. It was all worth it. The party was great on Saturday, and we followed up on Father's day with a cookout and the family pitched in and helped clean up. Here are some pic's.

Back yard facing east.
2012-06-15%2017.54.50.jpg

Back yard facing west.
2012-06-15%2017.55.13.jpg

Side yard where the games were played.
2012-06-15%2017.55.44.jpg

And Evan and Kyle wrestling in the bounce house.
2012-06-15%2017.56.03.jpg

Reactions: BabyBlues
Upvote 0
Yeah, I suppose the CPU really don't matter, its just that the phone is basically out dated when we get it. I am not even sure the dual core chips are being fully utilized yet, let alone quad core. Sure the extra ram in the S3 is a bonus.

I just wish there was some kind of standard, but with GSM being the biggest network, us big red users are stuck with what they give us.

BTW, while I was in the AT&T store playing with the note, I ran a speed test on my nexus and hit 31.71 MBPS. Yes. With an M. Not KBPS. Talk about ironic.

BTW2. Yes. There is now a Galaxy Note in the house....

My quad core Prime doesn't seem to be any faster than my Nexus, so I'm not overly concerned with quad core.
Well, I'm not sure why or the exact details, but VZW is supposedly "unlocking" various devices to be used overseas (can't jump on T-Mo or AT&T I imagine). Haven't heard if the Nexus will make it, but I doubt it. Congrats on the Note, but I wonder if the store had some way to "enhance" their network to run faster than normal there.

Upvote 0
Ok, so my tapatalk won't load at all today, so I do a speedtest... 19 kbps. Really?! This is apparently on 3G too. I really wish my phone got 4G at my desk :(

That sounds sucky. From inside my apartment (and also I get strong 4G in the BASEMENT of my work in DC):
d5vthDzb8GSeB3Dqy979Ui_c25nAYQ0TJ99hYRem2QSEb3lalYP3nho5SQamvkDKAeJJDOb8Goc

Also, are you close enough to Atlanta to meet up with BB? ;)

Edit: Sorry for the massive pic.

Upvote 0
That sounds sucky. From inside my apartment (and also I get strong 4G in the BASEMENT of my work in DC):
d5vthDzb8GSeB3Dqy979Ui_c25nAYQ0TJ99hYRem2QSEb3lalYP3nho5SQamvkDKAeJJDOb8Goc

Also, are you close enough to Atlanta to meet up with BB? ;)

Edit: Sorry for the massive pic.

Unfortunately not, I'm 3 hours from ATL. Maybe CaptainRon will be there :D

Upvote 0
Good luck, Lucky! My wife's Bionic needs some work itself. PM'd a Guide who helps in that area as I think I'm just going to unroot it and let her take the OTAs. She doesn't care about the ROM, just wants it to work.
BTW, there wasn't a chance you could hold out for the SGS3?

Verizon didn't offer that to me, and to be honest, the Nexus is my 2nd and probably last Samsung device. I had a nightmare of a time with a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and went through three of them before going with an Asus Transformer TF101. I was gun-shy about the Nexus due to my previous problems with the Galaxy Tab. The device itself is fine, but as everyone knows from my constant whining, I've got the one-way audio issue. Samsung sounds like they have washed their hands of the issue and Verizon doesn't seem to know what to do to fix it, so enough is enough. I've been waiting for this to be fixed since December 24th 2011 and I feel like I've waited long enough. Verizon offered me a refurb Razr Maxx so I jumped on it. Pretty pathetic that I'm thankful that they did that, isn't it?

/rant off

Sorry. :eek: Had to vent a little bit (not at you of course). I've had good luck with Morotola devices but of course I'm not a big fan of MotoBloat. Hopefully ICS on the Razr will allow disabling of things like the Nexus does.

Upvote 0
My quad core Prime doesn't seem to be any faster than my Nexus, so I'm not overly concerned with quad core.
Well, I'm not sure why or the exact details, but VZW is supposedly "unlocking" various devices to be used overseas (can't jump on T-Mo or AT&T I imagine). Haven't heard if the Nexus will make it, but I doubt it. Congrats on the Note, but I wonder if the store had some way to "enhance" their network to run faster than normal there.

Actually, when I did a speed test with the note it only hit 1.3mbps It was my VZW nexus that hit those speeds :)

The Note is my moms :)

I did read that the razr, droid4 and I think another device was going to get a software update to make them "world phones" which does mean, I believe, that one could buy the razr and use it on a GSM network.

Upvote 0
I did read that the razr, droid4 and I think another device was going to get a software update to make them "world phones" which does mean, I believe, that one could buy the razr and use it on a GSM network.

If it's the same as the rest of the "world" phones on Verizon, it won't allow you to get on those domestic networks without a lot of hacking.

Upvote 0
Morning everyone! Celebrating our 1 year anniversary today. :D Unfortunately we're both working so no actual celebrating. (basically the story of our lives)
We'll do something fun this weekend though. :)

Thanks. The lady should be pleasantly surprised. We generally don't surprise eachother with any gifts (yeah, we're boring like that :rolleyes:) but I put her card in her purse to take to work, have flowers being sent to her work and got her a nice gift certificate to a spa to get a massage (which she desperately needs). Should make her day! :D

We are the same way - we don't give gifts to each other for birthdays/holidays/anniversaries, but now and then, we'll just surprise each other with something nice. If both people agree to the "no gifts" policy, it really takes a lot of stress out of holidays, saves some money, and makes those "surprises" even more special. Happy Anniversary...and many more to come!

I ended the day by confirming travel plans....anyone want to know where?

Ok, I am going to tell you even if you didn't care - I'm headed to Kansas in 24 days to see DSB!!!!!! I'm so excited!!!

Sweet!!!

Double Hit today.

Halon and Razorsharp :birthday:

Get anything good (that you can discuss in public)? ;)

Happy Birthday, Halon and Razorsharp!

So, what does everyone think about the drop of our beloved GNex to $149 on VZW? My first reaction, was, wow, already? But then I realized, the VZW GNex has been out for over 6 months! And yet is still arguably the best phone on VZW (until the GS3 ships, that is).
If Verizon hadn't trapped us with losing unlimited data if we upgrade, I would probably be letting one of my kids use our 7/1 available upgrade to get one. :mad:

Reactions: RazorSharp
Upvote 0
We are the same way - we don't give gifts to each other for birthdays/holidays/anniversaries, but now and then, we'll just surprise each other with something nice. If both people agree to the "no gifts" policy, it really takes a lot of stress out of holidays, saves some money, and makes those "surprises" even more special. Happy Anniversary...and many more to come!

Sweet!!!

Happy Birthday, Halon and Razorsharp!

If Verizon hadn't trapped us with losing unlimited data if we upgrade, I would probably be letting one of my kids use our 7/1 available upgrade to get one. :mad:

You can't get them to move it up?

The last three Christmases, I surprised my wife. You'd think by now she would have figured out that when I say we aren't doing gifts for each other I am completely full of it in regards to me getting something for her. The problem is, when she thinks she is getting something, she will end up dictating what I will get her, and I hate that. I want to get her something from the heart, checking a box on a list doesn't cut it.

Reactions: ryancmatchett
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones