• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Guys I am not rooted, so I am thinking nova might be my best bet to get rid of the Google bar at the top of each screen, buuuuttttt ...... does nova copy over all your existing screen content like go launcher does or do you have to customize from scratch again???

And, on another topic, why does my keyboard lag in landscape mode but not in portrait??

Upvote 0
Guys I am not rooted, so I am thinking nova might be my best bet to get rid of the Google bar at the top of each screen, buuuuttttt ...... does nova copy over all your existing screen content like go launcher does or do you have to customize from scratch again???

And, on another topic, why does my keyboard lag in landscape mode but not in portrait??

Wait....you have the GN!? Welcome, guess I missed your inaugural ball :p

Have to customize again. But it's fast!

I think this is something within 4.0.2 idk why it lags sometimes. I've heard .3 rids us of this

Reactions: GalaxyNexus
Upvote 0
New issue - contact names in gosms aren't showing up. Anyone else? It comes up as the number only.
Had the same problem. There was an update, so I ran it, and still nothing. Then I installed Handcent to see if it had the problem, and it didn't....but then I went back into GoSMS, and the names showed up. Weird...but whatever...it's working now. :D

Is syncing Facebook with People not working or am I'm not doing something right?

whatever the case I wish facebook will sync soon...so far it's not a deal-breaker by any means but a small disappointment in ICS so far...I liked the facebook sync for contact pics...now I have one contact pic?!?...my people app has no faces:(

SyncMyPix works for that, and you can set it up to run at specified intervals. I used it on my DX because Facebook pics didn't sync with my contacts properly with that either.

Upvote 0
I think this is something within 4.0.2 idk why it lags sometimes. I've heard .3 rids us of this

yes 4.0.3 gets rid of the landscape lag.

Nova was just updated to Beta 3 in the last few hours. Its a real solid build. I just want them to incorperate the ability to hide the status bar

Upvote 0
yes 4.0.3 gets rid of the landscape lag.

Nova was just updated to Beta 3 in the last few hours. Its a real solid build. I just want them to incorperate the ability to hide the status bar

It is nice. I couldn't get the instructions down on the install to keep the widgets enabled in the app drawer. I moved the apk to /system, but they still did not appear. Any tips?

Reactions: GalaxyNexus
Upvote 0
It is nice. I couldn't get the instructions down on the install to keep the widgets enabled in the app drawer. I moved the apk to /system, but they still did not appear. Any tips?

Best thing is to download the novaupdate.zip file and flash it in recovery
Setting and installing system apps through root explorer is a PITA

Upvote 0
>.> im curious about this here water hole....

Wanna join us?

Had the same problem. There was an update, so I ran it, and still nothing. Then I installed Handcent to see if it had the problem, and it didn't....but then I went back into GoSMS, and the names showed up. Weird...but whatever...it's working now. :D

Trying the handcent download to see if it fixes it now. I read the comments in the market about go sms and we aren't the only ones experiencing this

Upvote 0
Morning everyone.

Planning on flashing some 4.0.3 mod today, but we'll see. I want to see if the new kernel from 4.0.3 helps to solve that Keep Awake issue. I think the sounds helped a bit, but it was more probably I was babying my phone because I wanted the sounds to be the answer.

For those wondering, my fastest way to post pictures here is with the imgur app (imgur: the simple image sharer) -- it was originally made for reddit, but its always up and I just like how simple it is. Upload from gallery and click "Copy Image BBCode" and then just paste it into the app here for sharing.

Upvote 0
Morning everyone.

Planning on flashing some 4.0.3 mod today, but we'll see. I want to see if the new kernel from 4.0.3 helps to solve that Keep Awake issue. I think the sounds helped a bit, but it was more probably I was babying my phone because I wanted the sounds to be the answer.

For those wondering, my fastest way to post pictures here is with the imgur app (imgur: the simple image sharer) -- it was originally made for reddit, but its always up and I just like how simple it is. Upload from gallery and click "Copy Image BBCode" and then just paste it into the app here for sharing.

Cool, keep us updated

Upvote 0
Cool, keep us updated

Will do ... I know Han did it last night so just want to see what he thinks during the day today. I think I might use JuiceDefender at work though to shut my 3G off at my desk. Service is pretty dismal so I wonder if my radio is killing my battery sitting at my desk.

I can only hope 4.0.3 and 4.1 bring some radio improvements as well as some kernel changes, but we shall see.

Upvote 0
May I join in?
Gotta admit, got my phone on Friday, shipped by VZW, and have not put it down except to sleep.
However, up till yesterday, I was thinking I was just going to root and track down the ROMS that looked exciting. But that was mostly because I wanted the GWallet functionality....Now I have it on stock ICS.
Hopefully you guys/gals can convince me to root....Will be following along.
Just a quick Thank You to All here for sticking around and helping!!!

Upvote 0
May I join in?
Gotta admit, got my phone on Friday, shipped by VZW, and have not put it down except to sleep.
However, up till yesterday, I was thinking I was just going to root and track down the ROMS that looked exciting. But that was mostly because I wanted the GWallet functionality....Now I have it on stock ICS.
Hopefully you guys/gals can convince me to root....Will be following along.
Just a quick Thank You to All here for sticking around and helping!!!

Hi!

Reactions: ryancmatchett
Upvote 0
Wait....you have the GN!? Welcome, guess I missed your inaugural ball :p

Have to customize again. But it's fast!

Yep, I kept repeating to myself "I love my rezound I love my rezound"... and I really did love that phone.

Having said that, yeah, I held out for three hours and was swapping out for the God Mighty Nexus by lunchtime on launch day!!! Lol

Upvote 0
Hello folks. :)

After getting the phone, I wasn't able to chime in in the pre-release thread before it was locked, so I thought I'd chime in here. Got the phone Thursday morning around 11am - apparently got the last SIM card the store had that morning. Seeing the occasional quirk here and there (not unexpected on a new toy), but I'm loving the phone for the most part. I haven't gotten bold enough to do too many mods, such as flashing ROMs, but maybe I'll play with some of that after Christmas. Seeing what some of you have already done, it looks like I've got some studying to do, but it should be fun as well.

Upvote 0
So........ download Nova and start over at the point of customizing, -OR-, just bite the bullet and unlock/root and have to download everything again?

Any suggestions? And if I unlock/root, can I still get OTA updates?
I unlocked as soon as I could so that I wouldn't lose too much, making sure to not download anything non-essential until I was able to unlock. It's definitely worth the trouble, unlocking/rooting is the ultimate customization.

As for OTA updates, unlocking won't affect them at all. However, I've heard that rooting can. But of course, if you're rooted, you can just flash the update manually. I'm probably biased, but I'd say it's worth it. :)

Upvote 0
As for OTA updates, unlocking won't affect them at all. However, I've heard that rooting can. But of course, if you're rooted, you can just flash the update manually. I'm probably biased, but I'd say it's worth it. :)

From what I have read and been told, perma-flashing cwm by either deleting or renaming the recovery file breaks OTAs

Upvote 0
Just finished my second full charge cycle and my last one was 25 hours with moderate usage (screen on for about 4 hours at 40% brightness, wifi, zero bars of 3G/4G). First one was a little over 8 hours.

Very impressed, I won't have any trouble making it through the day with this thing.

I have had a couple random reboots and accidentally set LightFlow to operate my SAMOLED backlight which resulted in a factory reset (which didn't delete my /sdcard partition BTW).

Unlocked and rooted but still running the stock ROM.

Reactions: ryancmatchett
Upvote 0
im waiting on something stable that focuses on battery life, then i will let my rom/kernel flashing begin

Kinda where I'm at too - I've unlocked and rooted, but I figured I would let the bleeding edge dull a bit before jumping in to the ROM game.

I also want to see where 4.03 takes us and, perhaps, see if I need to do any returns visa-vie Hans ordeal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones