• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Any noticeable changes at all in 4.0.3 or just some under the hood stuff?

It's a ton smoother, in my opinion. It also has Wallet pre-installed.

Only bug I've found so far is that you can't sync calendars. It's not an option, really. Under accounts and sync, it's listed as "com.android.calendar". If you try to check it, it says that syncing is not available, try back later, etc. If you access the calendar app, you can't add anything either. This is kind of annoying to me, because I have a very busy schedule coming up. Hopefully the stock 4.0.3 will be out soon.

Most of the live wallpapers aren't present, for some reason. The initial wallpaper upon reboot is hideous. It was the first thing I changed.

But it's smooth and fast enough for me to stick with it for the meantime.

Also, I hate the boot animation. I want the old boot animation I had back, but I don't see the bootanimation.zip in data/local or system/media. So I have no idea where to put it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Upvote 0
Has anyone downloaded that new boot screen animation?

It's floating around somewhere on xda. I can post the link tomorrow (I'm not home and I have the site bookmarked on my laptop).

Its exactly the same one as stock, except optimized with true blacks and more vibrant colors. I don't know why they made it fake black in the first place.

Huge difference maker.

Did you ever find this link?

Upvote 0
Meant to post these earlier. Speed Test and battery graph from a full Saturday's use.

Battery Life:
attachment.php

Speed Test: As you can tell, I left the LTE area about 5 minutes after the speed test which is when I finally figured out how to take a screen shot.
attachment.php

Attachments

• batterylife.JPG
    batterylife.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 269
  • speedtest.JPG
    speedtest.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 244
Upvote 0
Looks like I am staying on 4.0.2 for a while then since I am seeing some not 100$ things on 4.0.3 -- don't wanna mess with the phone TOO much just yet. Might flash that deodex'd ROM tonight though so I can use the Search softkey mod.

OK, guess I'll throw my piece into the get to know you pie...

I'm 27, married with a 5 month old son, work for a city utility in Nashville operating excavation equipment.

Edit: also, I have never used tibackup, what's the difference in the free and paid apps and do I need the paid?

Paid allows for batch restoration of apps (and backup?). Its much, much more convenient then sitting there restoring one app and its data at a time.

I seem to pay for the apps that require root more than the ones that don't like games and such, but guess I just find them more useful.

I highly recommend the paid version though if you use it often.

I had my first ever peanut butter n jelly sandwich today :)

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?! That is probably one of my favorite foods, seriously.

Upvote 0
OK, guess I'll throw my piece into the get to know you pie...

I'm 27, married with a 5 month old son, work for a city utility in Nashville operating excavation equipment.

Edit: also, I have never used tibackup, what's the difference in the free and paid apps and do I need the paid?

You can run more than 1 schedule in the paid version. And keep more than 1 backup.

Oh sweet baby Jesus, The Dark Knight Rises trailer is up...

The Dark Knight Rises - Movie Trailers - iTunes

Nerdgasm.

Ha! I'm waiting for the next Ghost Rider movie.

34, divorced. No kids. Went to culinary school right after high school. 14 years later went back to school for welding and am currently working for Norfolk Southern as a boilermaker.

I had my first ever peanut butter n jelly sandwich today :)

I agree with Razor, how is that possible??

Your first ever PB&J? You've just.... never had one before?

How is that possible? :p That sandwich is one of mankind's greatest creations, right up there with Nutella, and Fluffernutters!

Upvote 0
In the top bar click Favorites then click the phone that has the / under it.

That brings you to the root of the phone.

***Nevermind the info below...I got it! Now to reboot to see what happens. :)

I did that (actually I found that if you long press the fav button, it'll bring it up, too.)

But it still fails to copy it...I'm guessing the system folder still read only? How do I make that folder r/w? I haven't found anything yet online that says.

Upvote 0
I did that (actually I found that if you long press the fav button, it'll bring it up, too.)

But it still fails to copy it...I'm guessing the system folder still read only? How do I make that folder r/w? I haven't found anything yet online that says.

You're rooted correct?

In ES File Explorer: Menu (3 dots menu) > Settings > Check Root Explorer & Mount File System

When you are done copying the APK go back into settings and uncheck Mount File System -- don't want to leave that mounted.

Upvote 0
Is anyone using cloud storage? I searched the main thread but it's so cluttered that I couldn't find the post on it. I need some cheap (free) recommendations.

Dropbox and Minus are the ones to use in my opinion.

I personally use both -- one for my personal stuff and one for sharing files to friends and family. Trying to condense down to one service though.

Upvote 0
Bless you Steven! I thought I was going to have to lie about my age!

Married, 54 year old airline pilot with daughter 18 and son 15.

My first computer was a "portable" Columbia (IBM "clone") that weighted about 25 pounds had a 9" green crt, TWO 360k floppy drives and of course ran on MS-DOS. Cost - $4000 in 1983.

I had the Compaq version of that !

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones