• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy Note 2: Help with beeps and sync please

nspeciale

Lurker
Nov 6, 2012
Hi All,
I have 2 issues with my Galaxy Note 2 phone:

1) When I'm on a call, all of a sudden I hear beeps - not the sounds for an incoming call or message but a beep like I'm entering in a number on the keypad. The person I'm speaking to can hear it and this has occurred about 5 times in the last month so far. During the call, I set the phone down and have the speaker on and when I hear a beep, I've actually seen digits being entered into the keypad. What in the world?!
What could be causing this? I've checked Call Settings and those are fine.

2) I use the Google calendar for my appointments. The last good sync from my Google calendar on the phone to the Google desktop calendar was 5/12/2013 12:21 p.m.
I went to calendar storage and cleared data then did a reboot and then synced to the desktop and it still gives me the sync error for the calendar.

I've called Samsung and asked them about both issues and I was told to go to Best Buy where they are supposed to have Samsung representatives to talk to about phone issues. I went to Best Buy and they said they were not set up yet.

Uf da! I'm really frustrated. I've thought about going back to a flip phone and my Palm T/X. I'm irritated that I paid so much money for this phone (bought it in December of 2012) and continue to have unresolved issues.

Anyone else have these issues and had success with fixing them?

Thanks,
Nancy

Hello Nancy, welcome to the forums. :)

It's possible you have a defective Note 2, but highly unlikely. What's more
likely is an app or widget installed as 3rd party from Play Store or elsewhere
that is not playing nice with portions of the Note 2s system.

I'd start a troubleshooting regimen by going into the Application Manager and
clearing cache and data on all non stock apps and widgets, then reboot the
device.

If no help, I'd then uninstall those same apps and widgets and reboot.

If symptoms persist after doing that, I'd do a factory data reset via the
recovery menu (power down the phone > wait 30 seconds > hold down the home key >
while holding that key press and hold the volume up key > while holding those
two keys press and hold the power key > wait for the white "...Galaxy..." letter
to show then quickly release all keys > wait for the android robot to appear
then vanish and the recovery menu will appear > use the volume down key to
navigate to "factory reset" or some such wording > press the power key > wait
for the reset to complete after confirming your choice > when it's done the
"reboot now" default menu item will be highlighted > press power to reboot).

That should clear up all issues. You'll have to reconfigure your system, of
course, but be careful about what apps and widgets you install. ;)

Upvote 0
Thank you so much Frisco!

I just went through and cleared data and cache in all the apps/widgets and rebooted. Still having the sync issue with the Google calendar :-(

I'm afraid to do a reset mostly because of the calendar information. I have really important medical information that goes back to 2004 that I had to manually enter into the Google Calendar on the desktop. It's on my Galaxy Note 2 but if I reset, I may lose all of that data and it's really time consuming to input it all back again.

As far as the "phantom beeping" goes, that was intermittent so I don't know yet if the clearing of data/cache/reboot worked or not. I sure hope so.

Thanks again,
Nancy

Upvote 0
My google calendar stopped syncing as well a month or so ago, I noticed on my old iphone my contacts stopped syncing as well in the past. Its a google problem. If you make more than 3 (in my experience) edits in between syncs it seems to stop the sync. To solve it delete the google account from the phone, then clear cache and data from calendar and contacts, then reinput your google account details and it will download everything from the server. You wont lose the data as its on google, its just a copy on your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones