• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy Note 4 not detected

A

Android Question

My Galaxy Note 4 refuses to be detected by my PC. Plugging in USB only starts charging. I installed the Samsung Drivers. Installed Kies. Went to Kies Tool and reinstalled the driver. Enabled developer options and enabled usb debugging on my note 4. Restarted the phone. Restarted the computer. Changed USB ports. It still only charges when connected to PC usb port.

I've had this problem before and 99.9% of the time it happens because you're using a plug/cable that didn't come with the original device. This happens for two reasons:
  1. The manufacturer has locked the device to only properly charge with their own chargers (annoying but true in some cases)
  2. The voltage in the cord isn't enough to power and facilitate data transfer in addition to charging. If this is one of the reasons, you'll likely also notice that your device is charging slowly
Make sure you're using the cable that came with the Galaxy Note 4 and not the cable to another device you've got.

Reactions: laffery
Upvote 0
Don't know if this will help but there are hidden menus in the note if you go to the build.prop and press it 5 times it unlocks developer option don't know if again if that will help just read it somewhere here or XDA one of the forums

Can you expand on where the hidden menus are in the Note 4? I know that in the Galaxy S4 it was in the "About Device" menu.

Upvote 0
Can you expand on where the hidden menus are in the Note 4? I know that in the Galaxy S4 it was in the "About Device" menu.

Here's a video showing how to enable access to Developer Options on the NOTE4:

If you're not familiar w/the Developer Options & the choices within,it might be a good idea to take screenshots of which ones you change,or write down the default developer option settings somewhere,just in case things get a little weird.

Reactions: Canesfan
Upvote 0
Here's a video showing how to enable access to Developer Options on the NOTE4:

If you're not familiar w/the Developer Options & the choices within,it might be a good idea to take screenshots of which ones you change,or write down the default developer option settings somewhere,just in case things get a little weird.
If you read the OP very well, you will noticed he mentioned he already have developer option and was also able to put on USB debugging.

I'll advise trying another cable or testing the phone with another laptop/PC to be sure.

Upvote 0
My Galaxy Note 4 refuses to be detected by my PC. Plugging in USB only starts charging. I installed the Samsung Drivers. Installed Kies. Went to Kies Tool and reinstalled the driver. Enabled developer options and enabled usb debugging on my note 4. Restarted the phone. Restarted the computer. Changed USB ports. It still only charges when connected to PC usb port.

Your own efforts and the previous responses to your message, seem to have covered the Samsung and the handset sides of the issue pretty well. Apart from the USB port that you have already checked, I wonder if you have checked the settings of the PC. Assuming a Windows PC, have you checked the Auto Play settings of the PC?

Taking a Win7 OS as an example, a search on 'how to enable Auto Play win 7' came up with such links as :-

How to Configure AutoPlay Settings in Windows 7 - Windows 7

and

Fix Windows 7 AutoPlay Dialog Box Missing or Not Appear, Display and Pop Up

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones