• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy Note Data Usage Question...

I'm due to upgrade my Dell Streak 5 next month (on O2UK) and I've been looking at Galaxy S2, S3, or Note as a replacement. I'm swaying more towards the Note but I've heard bad things about data consumption. I'd seen somewhere that someone went from 50MB a month to 100MB a day which seems excessive and unless you have an unlimited data package very expensive.

Has anyone encountered any excessive data consumption? If so, how bad was it?

I have a 5gb plan so I rarely care about data consumption, but the only time I saw significant data use was when I was using the Note as a WiFi hotspot for myself and two other of my colleagues (all using laptops, skype, outlook and desktop web browsers).

Basically if you configure the Note to only sync when connected to Wlan then you will use the same as before. You may also want to download opera and turn on "turbo" mode to only download lower quality images.

You may also want to avoid all the cool hd YouTube videos that the Note eats for breakfast. They are huge and will sap your data quickly.

Btw: you will have the same problem with all the phones you listed since they all have large screens and support flash.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
Eric Ritchie.

Upvote 0
Cheers for the reply,

I spoke to one of the O2 'Gurus' this afternoon who assured me that I wont exceed my 1GB data allowance. He told me that I very rarely went over 300MB with my Dell Streak 5 which has a 5" HD screen, runs flash, etc.

I'm not planning on doing anything different with the Note than what I do on the Streak but with seeing the stories about the data usage I thought it best asking Note users.

Upvote 0
Data usage is all about what you do with your device. However, I would agree that you find yourself doing more with your note because it's such a compulsive device. I'm using mine much more than my old HTC Desire, for example. On my Note I only switch mobile data on when I need to use it. Have used over a gig in wifi data in 12 days but only 50MB in mobile data during the same period.

Ian

PS I don't know about O2, but on T-Mobile Web browsing and email doesn't count from your monthly data allocation.

Upvote 0
I don't know about O2, but on T-Mobile Web browsing and email doesn't count from your monthly data allocation.

I mainly use it for emails while out and about, plus checking my suppliers website and ordering equipment as I run my own pest control business.

I'm not sure if emails or web browsing comes from my allowance or not? I would assume it does.

I suppose there's only one real way to find out how much data I'm likely to use and that's by getting myself a Note next month when my contract is up for renewel and using it ;)

how do you check how much you have used on the note,thanks

I just do the same as biker74 does and check my account online. It tells me how much data I've used.

Reactions: MadAmethyst
Upvote 0
My Samsung Note is a data hog. I recently "upgraded" to the Note and I've used the same surfing habits as on my old Samsung Galaxy S2 that had previously resulted in no excessive data consumption. Now in my first 30 days I have gone over my allowed usage of 1 gig to 4 Gigs (!!) at a huge cost. I haven't been downloading anything or watching streaming videos, etc. etc. This thing seems to be constantly using an astounding amount of bandwidth in the background without my permission. Yikes!
Stay away from this pig is my advice.

Reactions: johncherrywood
Upvote 0
My Samsung Note is a data hog. I recently "upgraded" to the Note and I've used the same surfing habits as on my old Samsung Galaxy S2 that had previously resulted in no excessive data consumption. Now in my first 30 days I have gone over my allowed usage of 1 gig to 4 Gigs (!!) at a huge cost. I haven't been downloading anything or watching streaming videos, etc. etc. This thing seems to be constantly using an astounding amount of bandwidth in the background without my permission. Yikes!

I can only assume that you have a rogue app installed to get this sort of data use. I have only used 485Mb of data in the last twelve days and that is more than my monthly average due to the fact that I was using the Note as my primary internet connection for three days this month (which means youtube videos and other downloads). Really, you have something installed that should be deinstalled!

Install Onavo count and see what is doing the damage.

Regards,
Eric Ritchie.

Upvote 0
Cheers for the replies ;)

I contacted Samsung direct and posed the same question to them. This was their reply:

Samsung UK to Gr13zly said:
Thank you for contacting Samsung.

There are far too many variables for me to possibly give an answer to this question.

It will depend on how many apps you have, whether they are 'pushing' information to your phone, etc.

There are several settings you can change to minimise the data being used for example turn all 'push' notifications off and only search for new data every 30 min or more.

1 GB of data is very big and if you are using WIFI as well it should last even with regular usage.

If you require any further assistance, please contact Samsung again and we will be more than happy to help.

Kind regards,

It seems that Samsung themselves reckon 1GB of data allowance should suffice. I'm confused now :thinking: From all the posts on various forums, unless you're on an unlimited data plan, which O2 UK don't offer (neither does anyone else in the UK other than 3) you're pretty much screwed...

Upvote 0
Cheers for the replies ;)

I contacted Samsung direct and posed the same question to them. This was their reply:

It seems that Samsung themselves reckon 1GB of data allowance should suffice. I'm confused now :thinking: From all the posts on various forums, unless you're on an unlimited data plan, which O2 UK don't offer (neither does anyone else in the UK other than 3) you're pretty much screwed...

That is simply not true. T-Mobile UK offer an unlimited data plan. Even their plans that are limited have unlimited Web and email, so you only use up your allowance for file transfers and streaming services.

Ian

Reactions: Gr13zly
Upvote 0

That reads rather like - "I don't know how to use my device so it eats up my data allowance. Stay away from devices I don't know how to use properly."

Er, no thanks.

Ian

Upvote 0
...This thing seems to be constantly using an astounding amount of bandwidth in the background without my permission. Yikes!...
Have you figured out where?

Could it be something like the instant uploading of all photos to Google+ via your SIM? in which case it's an app pig, not a device pig.

I've set mine to upload over WiFi only, same for things like GDrive/dropbox

Upvote 0
T-Mobile (UK) doesn't seem to be able to show you how much data you have used either via the usage text service or on My T-Mobile - or does someone have a crafty tip? :)

I use the My Data Manager app from Mobidia, which measures total data usage on wifi and mobile data, but this can't distinguish what T-Mobile takes from your data allowance and what it doesn't. It would be nice if it counted texts too, actually. Otherwise it's an excellent app.

Ian

Upvote 0
ermm so why not get giffgaff sim, put it in your dell streak,

I dropped my Dell a couple of weeks back and broke the LCD screen so I'm using an old crappy LG handset till I can renew. Plus, and more importantly, I need to keep my number as it's my business number and is therefore on my website and all my business stationary.

Upvote 0
I dropped my Dell a couple of weeks back and broke the LCD screen so I'm using an old crappy LG handset till I can renew. Plus, and more importantly, I need to keep my number as it's my business number and is therefore on my website and all my business stationary.

Transferring a number is a doddle. At least it was when moving my daughter from Orange PAYG to T-Mobile contract. It took less than 24 hours and her number was transferred before she even got her new phone.

Ian

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones