1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Galaxy note does not recognize sim cardSupport

1. Pirat9690

Pirat9690 Member

Hi there guys!

I've just bought used Galaxy Note. I've tried it while the guy, who sold it to, was still using it and it worked fine. When I bought it, he made factory settings reset. But when I try to use it with my sim card it doesn't recognize it at all. When I for instance want to register my samsung account it says: insert sim card. I've tried 3 different sim cards and none of it works. The phone is not locked. Also there is gray icon of sim card at the top of the screen (at least for me it looks like sim card). I've managed to enter my gmail account. Can anyone help me?

p.s.: this is my first android phone, so beginner mistakes are not excludet :D

Thanks guys!

Advertisement
    :
  2. MonthOLDpickle

MonthOLDpickle Well-Known Member

Typically have to enter a pin code (which is 0000 by default).

When I bought my Note that didn't pop up when I had my sim. I went to change sim pin. Fixed it.
  3. Pirat9690

Pirat9690 Member

I cannot change anything whatsoever about sim card. All options about sim card are colored gray (are non-chosable :) If i try to check which is my network or what is my phone number, it says that is unknown. But under the "sort of network" it says which it is, and currentlly it's HSDPA. And also at the top of the screen the signal bar is indicating the strenght of the signal. Which is strange to me. I cannot see which network i belong to but i can see the strenght of the signal.
  4. touringhaggis

touringhaggis Well-Known Member

Ok, let me start this by saying I am no expert, but with that in mind:

I have heard that the newer smartphones do not work with older SIM cards (even though they fit in). I also know that the phone will not work well until your provider sends a set of SMSs to your phone to "configure" it to your network.

So, what I GUESS is the problem: The guy that sold you the phone was using the same network as you and had the phone configured so that your SIM worked by default. When he factory reset the phone he deleted these SMS installed settings and your SIM was too old to re-initalise the phone.

If your SIM is a few years old (older than two since my two year old SIM worked fine in the phone) then just call up your network and get them to send you out a new one.

I hope this helps,
    Eric.
    Pirat9690 likes this.
  5. MonthOLDpickle

MonthOLDpickle Well-Known Member

Yea most likely old sim card. I just plop'd mine in and it worked.
  6. Pirat9690

Pirat9690 Member

I've just asked for new sim card two days ago, because older one was micro sim. I've tried 4 different sim cards, all of them are less then 2 years old. It looks like something is wrong with sim card sensor or something. I've called samsung support and they think the same.
  7. touringhaggis

Have you tried to "thicken" the SIM card by slotting in some paper? You could get lucky.

Regards,
    Eric.
  8. Pirat9690

Pirat9690 Member

I have. It's not helping.
  9. biker74

biker74 Well-Known Member Contributor

Shit, bad luck. Will you be able to get it repaired ok?
  10. Pirat9690

Pirat9690 Member

Hope so.
  11. touringhaggis

Well since the device was only released last November, it should be covered by warantee even if you don't have a proof of puchace. I wish you luck though. It really sux when you get a new toy and cannot use it.

Good luck!
    Eric.
  12. Pirat9690

Pirat9690 Member

Thanks guys! It sucks yeah. I hope there will be no problems with the warantee.
  13. Home Alone

Home Alone New Member

when I bought my new Galaxy note I had teh same problem cause the bloody seller told me that the phone uses micro sim!!!!. I did not check and i went an dreplaced my normal sim card with another micro sim. then????? not working and gave the same indiactions u mentioned.
    so for sure GALAXY NOTE does not use micro sim.
    I had to replace the already re[laced card with a nww normal one and it works.

hope this helps
  14. 4mj4d

4mj4d New Member

Hi, has issue being fixed..?? I'm having same issue with Galxy s3
  15. EDFX00

EDFX00 Member

I have the same issue with a straight talk SIM on my Galaxy note.. I have tried two SIM cards and neither works. Its unlocked and a TMOB SIM works fine.