• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Note - Gingerbread/ICS Update - Help!

retaclark23

Lurker
Oct 29, 2012
I have the Samsung Galaxy Note, and when the leaked update of the ICS came out I tried it (wrong decision)! Anyways my phone thinks that it's running on ICS and GB at the same time:

Kernel Number 2.3.6
Baseband Number i717uclc5

I can't update my phone to full ICS and it's still on gingerbread, I also can't root it, or flash it back to GB (I tried downloading the stock ROM and using ODIN but that didn't work).

Can anyone help me, to get it back to full gingerbread, or update to ICS, or root. Anything would be helpful!

Thanks!

Best thing to do

Step 1, download and install kies (not kies mini)

step 2, pull your battery and write down your S/N (not your IMEI number but the serial number)

step 3, start kies and then turn the phone on and go into download mode (hold volume down, when prompted press volume up)

step 4, let the drivers install

step 5, once all that is done, in kies, Choose Tools, Firmware upgrade & initialization

step 6,
a) While in download mode, enter the S/N & model name (ALL CAPS!! SGH-I717 not SGH-i717)
b) It will prompt to initialize to original settings. Click "YES"
c) It will prompt to initialize the latest version. Click "YES"
d) It will download the firmware upgrade components (DO NOT DISCONNECT THE DEVICE!!)

Setp 7, Kies will prompt for firmware upgrade and initialization.
a) Click check box for reading above information
b) Click your choice if you want your information saved on Samsung Kies corporate servers (I choose WITHOUT saving).

Now walk away from your phone for 15-20 minutes. When you get back your phone will be 100% stock and on the official ICS :)

Original credit for this here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1731654

If you want to go back to GB, it is a longer process, but PM me and I'll walk you through it.

Reactions: smenvali
Upvote 0
james27007 thanks for the tutorial on upgrading from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich. Do you recommend doing this? My phone is having all kinds of quirky problems. Difficulty using USB to transfer from phone to pc, random shutting down, no internet connection for days at a time, etc. It is still under warranty with Samsung, but they want me to send it to Texas for diagnosis and it will be gone for several weeks. This is my business phone and I can't do that. Please advise on what you think is the bet course of action. Thank you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones