• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Galaxy Prevail 2.3.6 rooting successful... now some questions

I wish I still had my Wetbikes. I sold then years ago. The only bike I'm getting wet on now is this one. :D

Nice ride bro!!! to bad we're so far apart or we could get together and go for a nice ride on the weekends!!! ;)
This bad boy is 17 years old and still can kick some ass-phalt, LOL :D

CopyofP5080110_zps9e2ca9b6.jpg

Reactions: wetbiker7
Upvote 0
Nice ride bro!!! to bad we're so far apart or we could get together and go for a nice ride on the weekends!!! ;)
This bad boy is 17 years old and still can kick some ass-phalt, LOL :D

CopyofP5080110_zps9e2ca9b6.jpg

Thanks Gus.

MANNNNN!!!! That ride is bad 2 the bone, Gus!!! I know it'll fly too! I had a buddy of mine that had 1 and the power it put out was insane! It would bring the front wheel off the ground in almost every gear.
Yes sir...... the V Max is a beast!

Too bad I'm not on the East Coast any longer. There's nothing better than hooking up and riding with friends. :)

Reactions: Guspeed
Upvote 0
Thanks Gus.

MANNNNN!!!! That ride is bad 2 the bone, Gus!!! I know it'll fly too! I had a buddy of mine that had 1 and the power it put out was insane! It would bring the front wheel off the ground in almost every gear.
Yes sir...... the V Max is a beast!

Too bad I'm not on the East Coast any longer. There's nothing better than hooking up and riding with friends. :)

I guess this means we're having a meet in Sturgis? :D

Upvote 0
I guess this means we're having a meet in Sturgis? :D

Man..... that sounds good. Probably not this year though. I just checked and it's August 4-10, 2014. Next year it will be August 3-9, 2015. There is a very good possibility that I may go Kouma. My brother-in-law, who lives in NC, just got a bike. My Dad quit riding and gave him his Harley Custom Deluxe. I told him we are gonna have to meet up at Sturgis since he had a bike now.

This is something we all need to talk about. :D

Gus, any possibility you could make it up to Sturgis next year? I know that's 1 hell of a trip for you.

Kouma, I just checked and driving straight through would take right over 20 hrs from my house. You've got a straight shot right up I-15 N. Even so, your trip is right at 19 hrs. That's a hump bro. lol :D

Upvote 0
An update to the wireless-Bluetooth problem I was having. It may be something else that affected those processes. I've noticed that a clock icon will insert itself into the status bar, sometimes changing the time, just before the phone will crash.
It happened again the other day when the phone rang but it wouldn't let me answer it... the phone just froze.

I notice also that when I reboot, the time will get reset... regardless of how the phone settings are set. Does one have to do with the other? Any thoughts? Your help as always is appreciated.

UPDATE 4-19-14: My phone, which is on, just vibrated, did a short 'media scanner running...' then inserted a clock icon next to the date. This has been a precursor to freezing the phone, causing me to do a reboot. This has happened about 8 times since I rooted about 3-4 weeks ago. In fact, it just vibrated again.. like when a program fails and needs to be force closed and did another 'media scanner running....". there's plenty of ram (175MB).

Any ideas about what's going on? And why the clock icon?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have the paid version of Titanium Backup so I'm not really sure what's up... :)

the post i linked suggests using titanium to set up a schedule to break the links. This won't stop the links from reappearing... But it will automate the process of breaking those links.

-Open titanium backup
-Select schedule tab
-Select add new schedule
--for the first option select detach user & system apps from market
--set the time and days
----if you want to detach them several times a day, just repeat these steps with multiple schedules but different times (ie 12am, 6am, 12pm, 6pm)

If you don't want to detach all of your apps you can set up a filter (menu> filters)
Once in the filters menu
-select create label
-select add/remove elements
-place a check mark on all apps you want detached
-select done (check mark in upper right corner)
-name your label

You should now see the label at the bottom.
-place a check mark on your label
-at the top select load/save filter
-select save current filter

You will now be able to use your filter in the schedule(s) you made

Upvote 0
the post i linked suggests using titanium's to set up a schedule to break the links. This won't stop the links from reappearing... But it will automate the process of breaking those links.

-Open titanium backup
-Select schedule tab
-Select add new schedule
--for the first option select detach user & system apps from market
--set the time and days
----if you want to detach them several times a day, just repeat these steps with multiple schedules but different times (ie 12am, 6am, 12pm, 6pm)

If you don't want to detach all of your apps you can set up a filter (menu> filters)
Once in the filters menu
-select create label
-select add/remove elements
-place a check mark on all apps you want detached
-select done (check mark in upper right corner)
-name your label

You should now see the label at the bottom.
-place a check mark on your label
-at the top select load/save filter
-select save current filter

You will now be able to use your filter in the schedule(s) you made

Nice TUT LV.

Upvote 0
:) thx, but you can't get calls, messages, etc. that way. Just wanting to know if there is a way to disable the specific " searching" tone. There is so much control being rooted I was wondering if there was a way to access that specific tone and silence it.

Thought if anyone would know how it would be you guys.

If you're getting the searching for signal sound, you're not gonna be getting any calls or text messages. lol :D

EDIT: You should be able to remove that sound file if you know where it's at. The question is..... where is it????

Maybe Kouma or one of the other Devs might know.

@Lordvincent 90 Do you know where that sound file is located bro?

Upvote 0
:) thx, but you can't get calls, messages, etc. that way. Just wanting to know if there is a way to disable the specific " searching" tone. There is so much control being rooted I was wondering if there was a way to access that specific tone and silence it.

Thought if anyone would know how it would be you guys.

Someone else may know that you'll just have to wait for them to reply

Upvote 0
Dude.... if you're getting the searching for signal sound, you're not gonna be getting any calls or text messages. lol :D

Yeah, I know that. I worded that poorly...:)

I want to continue to get notifications thru wifi. I'm also trying to get rid of the tone because I use Pandora thru wireless speakers. I don't mind the once in a while notification tone but would like the searching tone to be disabled... and I still want to get txt and calls when signal is 'found'.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I know that. I worded that poorly...:)

I want to continue to get notifications thru wifi. I'm also trying to get rid of the tone because I use Pandora thru wireless speakers. I don't mind the once in a while notification tone but would like the searching tone to be disabled... and I still want to get txt and calls when signal is 'found'.

Once you enable airplane mode, you can simply turn wifi back on and use data as normal :)

But, as far as the location of the sound is concerned, I'm almost certain it's located in /system/media/audio/ui/ but I'm not sure of the name of the file... :eek:

Upvote 0
Once you enable airplane mode, you can simply turn wifi back on and use data as normal :)

But, as far as the location of the sound is concerned, I'm almost certain it's located in /system/media/audio/ui/ but I'm not sure of the name of the file... :eek:

thx for that... still couldn't find the sound or .ogg file there. I'll look around. Any other places I could look?

Upvote 0
QUOTE: An update to the wireless-Bluetooth problem I was having. It may be something else that affected those processes. I've noticed that a clock icon will insert itself into the status bar, sometimes changing the time, just before the phone will crash.
It happened again the other day when the phone rang but it wouldn't let me answer it... the phone just froze.

I notice also that when I reboot, the time will get reset... regardless of how the phone settings are set. Does one have to do with the other? Any thoughts? Your help as always is appreciated. UNQUOTE:

UPDATE 4-19-14: My phone, which is on, just vibrated, did a short 'media scanner running...' then inserted a clock icon next to the date. This has been a precursor to freezing the phone, causing me to do a reboot. This has happened about 8 times since I rooted about 3-4 weeks ago. In fact, it just vibrated again.. like when a program fails and needs to be force closed and did another 'media scanner running....". there's plenty of ram (175MB).

Upvote 0
QUOTE: An update to the wireless-Bluetooth problem I was having. It may be something else that affected those processes. I've noticed that a clock icon will insert itself into the status bar, sometimes changing the time, just before the phone will crash.

I notice also that when I reboot, the time will get reset... regardless of how the phone settings are set. Does one have to do with the other? Any thoughts? Your help as always is appreciated. UNQUOTE:

Hello haleyesxl,

I am very interested in knowing if you were able to solve the issue you describe, that you seem to have encountered after rooting your Samsung Galaxy Prevail.

I have been reading a lot about rooting, for a longtime, and considering whether or not I should root my own Samsung Galaxy Prevail.

A top reason I have, thus far, not rooted is, because, in virtually every forum I read about rooting smartphones, mine is a Samsung Galaxy Prevail, SPH-M820-BST, I see people who have rooted and encountered what, to me, are fairly significant problems.

And, whereas I have noticed a trend of people being encouraged to root, in various reading I have done, over a long period of time, unfortunately, I have also read posts, too many for my own comfort, from people, like you, who encounter significant problems and, then, there does not seem to be anyone with requisite knowledge to help them; out of all those who, previously, seemed to encourage them to root. To me, haleyesxl, you seem to be in just that kind of predicament.

So, haleyesxl, were you able to resolve this issue you describe, that you seem to have encountered, only, after rooting your Samsung Galaxy Prevail?

If you have not been able to fix the problem, haleyesxl, were you, at least, able to successfully un-root your Prevail back to the way it was before rooting?

If my Samsung Galaxy Prevail were rooted, and I encountered problems, such as yours, only, after rooting, then, I think I would try to un-root the phone to determine if the problem persists, or not, after un-rooting.

If the problem does not persist, after un-rooting the phone, then, I might, next, try what I call a "basic" root next. What I mean, by that, is I would do a "stock" root only. For me, that means I would not put another ROM or kernel on the phone and that means I would not repartition the SD card, for use as internal storage. I would even try to stay with the same "baseband". In other words, I would try to do the absolute minimum "changes" necessary to just gain root; ROM, kernel, and SD card partition changes are, from what I have read, not absolutely necessary to gain root. If the problem, again, does not persist after that basic root, then, I would consider things from there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones