1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Galaxy S 5 turns on and acts like I'm pressing buttons when (when in pocket) when I recieve a textSupport

1. jshoe22

jshoe22 Well-Known Member

Galaxy S 5 turns on and acts like I'm pressing buttons when (when in pocket) when I receive a text. I had a Galaxy S 3 and it did not do this. I also had a Captivate that did not do this. It's like the phone thinks my leg is a finger. It drives me nuts. Is this something many people experience? What can I do about it? Thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member

This would happen with my S4 until I purchased a "smart" flip cover. Especially after receiving a text, the display would turn on in my pocket and if I moved the right way I would end up "butt dialing" the texter without knowing it so they could hear what was happening around me.

With the Samsung-style smart flip cover, when the cover is closed it prevents the screen from turning on in your pocket. It has some other nice benefits including being able to accept/reject calls through the window on the cover as well as talk on a call with the cover closed. This helps keep the screen clean.
  3. jshoe22

I appreciate it but I like my Otterbox. I'm barely touching the phone. It happens when the screen turns on for a text and my thigh touches it, such as when walking. A phone should not do this when walking.
  4. RyanSupertramp

RyanSupertramp Well-Known Member

Settings>Display>Scroll to the bottom and make sure that "Increase touch sensitivity" is unchecked.

That's all I got, haha. :)
  5. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Well-Known Member

As above, plus I have my unlock screen set to Draw A Pattern.

That fixed it for me.

And, you can also change the settings for an incoming text message.
    I used to have them display on top of the Lockscreen. I soon found the error of my ways, like you are now, and changed that so they do not open.

I now just get the little birdies chirping to let me know that a text message has come in. Then I have to unlock it and open Messages.

More trouble, but well worth it, no butt dialing for me.
  6. jshoe22

Are you finding the screen is to sensitive in the pocket too?
  7. jshoe22

I made sure it was off.... this is very disappointing... is anyone else having this issue?
  8. iron_city

iron_city Well-Known Member

All the time with no lock code. It's very annoying.
    jshoe22 likes this.
  9. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member

Quick update. After a few weeks with my S5 and the Samsung flip cover there is another annoying pocket issue. They added a camera app to be used through the closed cover with no option to remove the camera (you can remove pedometer and weather). I am constantly taking photos inside of my pocket. The only solution I have found is to turn the phone facing away from my leg which puts the antenna next to my body.
  10. gbuhlman

gbuhlman New Member

This issue is the reason I am going to give up my Galaxy S5. I switched from Windows Phone because I hated not being able to get apps. I love the apps and overall I am generally pleased with Android and the Galaxy S5 but the pocket dialing (and pocket Pandora and Pocket Milk Music and Pocket Texting and ....) is a deal breaker? This was a problem that was solved back in the early to mid 2000's when smartphone manufacturers realized that smartphones had cameras and could tell whether the phone was in a pocket/purse/backpack before turning on the screen for a notification! How is it that Google and/or Samsung have not figured this out yet?

My foray into Android has been #Failed by this. I think am choosing to go back to Windows Phone and give up the selection of apps because at least then I have a usable smartphone that doesn't start randomly unpausing my Pandora playlist when I am in quiet locations. Talk about embarrassing!