Galaxy S Alarm ProblemSupport

Last Updated:

1. firefox73

firefox73 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've experienced the following problems in 2.1 and had hoped that it would be rectified in 2.2. FYI I'm using a UK unbranded simfree SGS and the stock alarm with the smart alarm feature turned on.

When I set the alarm for the morning and then cancel it later on (e.g. I wake up naturally an hour before the alarm) I find that despite cancelling it the alarm still goes off at the initially set time.

First of all, I was simply unchecking the green alarm symbol in the "clock" application. Then as this was failing to cancel it, I would long press the set alarm time until the option delete would appear and completely deleting the time altogether, yet the alarm still goes off.

I have also noticed in 2.2 that the alarm date does not seem to be as intuitive as it was before. Previously I recall setting the alarm the night before by scrolling the time forward past midnight to the morning and the day would follow suit. However, a couple of time that I have used the alarm the alarm has tried to enable itself for the same day as being set. However, as the clock is being scrolled forward this would often show as time to alarm 6+ days and ....hours. Don't recall seeing that on 2.1?

Finally, is there a dedicated place where more smart alarms can be downloaded and incorporated into the smart alarm feature? I know of Zedge, White Noise and others but most are not true smart alarm sounds. Often just screen shots or clips of noises, which do not segway nicely into the start of the alarm loop when the track has completed.

Advertisement
  2. goyal.sanchit

goyal.sanchit Well-Known Member

I have experienced that when you uncheck the alarm symbol it still goes off but many times I have deleted the alarm itself from the list and then it works fine and doesn't go off.

Strange that it happens in your case.

3. firefox73

firefox73 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, very strange. I hard cleared it in the manner that you have done and again it did it this morning:mad:. This is the way that I usually cancel the alarm but I'm having about a 60% success rate with it.

I have found though that it works 100% of the time if I simply set the alarm to go off in 5 mins and then go back and delete the alarm. It seems to be when the phone goes into standby state, it almost programmes in the alarm to go off no matter what you do.

Surely others have experienced this and must have some suggestions to add to the melting pot?

4. goyal.sanchit

goyal.sanchit Well-Known Member

You may want to try some 3rd party alarm app from the market and see if it helps!

5. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

I'm currently using Tasker for my alarm, I have it set so that turning the phone over snoozes it (when it sounds again flipping the phone the other way snoozes again), to end I just pull the power plug, and then it opens NewsRoom (morning paper delivery!).

6. waspbr

waspbr Well-Known Member

If you are looking for an alarm app, I would recommend "alarm clock plus", it is available in both ad-subsidized and ad-free versions. It has a ton of features, including math problems on wake up and a dock UI. Very much worth checking out.

7. spark001uk

spark001uk Active Member

@Goyal/Firefox:

+1 here, mine keeps doing it, even lastnight, i thought oh its sunday i'll have a lay-in, so i turned the green alarm symbol off. Yet the alarm reactivated itself and sounded loudly this morning! I'm on official UK 2.2.

8. imp1971

imp1971 New Member

I also get annoyed by the alarm going off after cancelling, and also surprised it doesn't go off if the phone is turned off, a function that has worked on mobiles phones for years.
    1 step forward, 2 back.....

9. I think 2.2.1 fixes this. Seems to have done for me. With respect to the alarm waking the phone, this is by design. There is a lengthy post over on the google android forums detailing why.

10. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Agreed. But none of the newer smart phones are capable of it for some strange reason.

11. As far as I can remember it's down to the problems that are created by the various states that a smart phone could wake in. I recall it also has battery implications as the phone is never truly off.

Correction: Just re-read the thread. Looks to be due to the fact the os is completely off so can't generate an alarm. Older phones have it built into the bios.