Galaxy S and conversion from ATT to Netherlands SIMSupport

Last Updated:

1. dbcorbin

dbcorbin New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all,

Just went through a short term conversion to Vodafone with a prepaid sim card in Amsterdam. Vodafone has a deal right now that gives 350MB data for a month on the cheapest prepaid SIM.

Using a Galaxy S Captivate from ATT should have been easy but since it wasn't i thought i would share some settings for others:

1) get the Captivate unlocked from ATT. (they say that if you own it for 90 cays, you can get the code for unlocking... but it is not 90 days old at ATT so they didn't know how. I paid for a phone off contract so that i could do this on my trip... eventually, after much hassling, they learned how to unlock the phone and sent me the 8 digit codevia email that they said would unlock the phone).

2) to unlock the phone you need a "foreign SIM" installed. Vodafone people let me borrow one before buying it since no one believes ATT.

3) install SIM, boot up... The vodafone SIMs ask for a pin (probably 0000) but the vodafone people will tell you.

4) the Galaxy will then ask for the network SIM key... you input your 8 digits and it should work.

5) then, you can use your prepaid phone SIM/card for phone calls and text (new local phone number comes with the SIM.)

6) in the vodafone case, you need to send a specific login message to their server to get the Month of "Free" "unlimited" internet. Not quite unlimited but pretty good. you will burn through your 10 euros of phone calls and texts really fast but you can still use the internet... cool. the vodaphone people tell you how (in my case, she just took the phone and sent the text.)

7) but to use the internet on the phone, you need to set up the Access point for vodafone.
    That process was easy but the vodafone instructions left out one item that hung everyone up for a bit... and the instructions were only in dutch... here are the settings that work:

on your Galaxy (captivate) under settings, wireless networks, mobile networks, you must set a few items:
    choose NEW APN (new access point) and enter the settings below:

Name: Vodafone live!
    APN: live.vodafone.com
    Proxy: Leave blank
    Port: leave blank
    User name: vodafone
    Password: vodafone
    Server: leave blank
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.vodafone.nl
    MMS proxy: 192.168.251.150
    MMS port: 8799
    MCC: 204
    MNC: 04
    Authentication: PAP
    APN type: Internet + MMS

Save those and you should be good to go.

The vodafone people were excellent in the shop i found in Amsterdam. we all commented on how these people seemed to actually know how things worked! ... such a contrast to ATT.

anyway, since there was some discovery involved and it all worked out, i thought i would share... works great.

dc

Advertisement