• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S battery life - hows yours?

ashatron

Lurker
Oct 29, 2010
Im almost set on buying it, im just worried about some of the negative mentions of the battery life. Like it needing charging after 6 hours of average use etc

But as usual you can always find negative information about technology on the internet.

So i ask the experts with the phone!

Hows the battery life on your samsung Galaxy S?
How often does it need charging?

Depends on what you call average use really,
I read for about 3 hours, listen to about 1 hour of music send a couple of texts and use the phone for about 140 minutes in a day and still have 40% battery life left when I go to bed.
The biggest drain I found was apps permanently on (auto kill required) and 3G permanently on with apps running background data (Quick settings app can cure this).

Upvote 0
It depends a lot on what running. Having 3G+push email = like 10%/hour, so you have "just" 10 hours of battery life....
On the other hand, I often use it relatively lightly (1.5 hour internet/mail, 30min calling, 30 min other stuff), and it lasts 2 days on a charge....Over the weekend I use it even less, and it lasts for 4 days easily (now at 69%, 51 hours since last charge).

Upvote 0
On Eclair you can get up to almost 3 days of usage.

On Froyo, you can barely get one day of usage. And it's Samsung's fault.

Three days if you barely use the phone at all, I only got one day out of 2.1 and everyone I know who uses this phone on 2.1 is having exactly the same experience, you are seriously exaggerating the difference.

Why?

Upvote 0
On Eclair you can get up to almost 3 days of usage.

On Froyo, you can barely get one day of usage. And it's Samsung's fault.

What's different, and is that the final Froyo that we'll all get eventually?

Personally I find the display uses almost all the power that's used, and it'll sit in standby if I'm not using it for days, and last much less than a day if I use it heavily.

Upvote 0
Same, I can turn off the bluetooth, gps, wifi, sync and push it over 2 days and that's not even trying not to use it. I'll send and receive my texts and phone calls and it will still get the best part of 2 days. Probably 3 if I don't use it at all.

And I hope Froyo is an improvement in batter life, and not a step backwards.

Upvote 0
My battery is terrible... LOVE the phone but with heavy use i have to charge it a couple of times a day.
Luckily since i have had it my main use is at home & work so had a charger handy, not lookig foward to full days out etc.

I heard that people have had a new battery sent out from Samsung if they moan LOTS... Might give it a go.

I have found if i play games/browse/listen to music solid, i get a few hours max.

Upvote 0
I use the app "APN OnOff" - a widget on the main screen allows me to turn 3G on/off whenever I need it...made a huge change - now I can use it for multiple days, whereas with 3G on all the time it is limited to 1 day.

Kasper-
Unless I am missing something, my Samsung Captivate does not have that widget. I double checked the manual and its not listed there either. Is the widget you are referring to a download?
Thanks.

Upvote 0
guys you should try doing the following things to conserve battery life:

1. turn off wifi/gprs when not in use
2. close constantly running applications by installing advanced task killer
3. close animations by going to settings, sound and displays.
4. adjust screen timeout to 15 or 30 seconds to conserve energy.

By doing the following you can dramatically increase the battery life.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones