Galaxy S BatterySupport

Last Updated:

1. cilliand

cilliand New Member This Topic's Starter

Right so, I know the battery is rubbish and all but I am hoping that mine is faulty, as I don't think I could deal with this battery life for the next two years.

So having the phone about 3, nearly four weeks I would, from what I've read, expect the battery to be running at optimum - with lots of top up charging, think it only died fully once.

However this is the battery life I am getting - a 33% drop, from 100 to 67 in 3h 16m 24s. The usage is as follows:

Voice calls: 12m 38
    Display: 26m 8s
    Cell Standby: 3h 16m 24s
    Media Server: 15m 19s
    Phone Idle: 2h 50m 16s
    Android System: 6m 17s
    Android OS: 3m 56s

Is this really all I can expect, at this rate my phone won't last till I get home without being topped up or not being looked at.

Everything is optimised for best performace, no bluetooth, wifi, GPS, etc.

:(

Just did another check and the results are as follows:
    21%Time since unplugged:5h 49m 50sVoice calls:12m 38sDisplay: 35m 44sCell Standby:5h 49m 50sMedia Server:15m 20sPhone Idle: 5h 14m 6sAndroid System: 11m 15sAndroid OS: 6m 41s

Advertisement
    Ih4teKies likes this.
  2. hippo_potamus

hippo_potamus Active Member

May I ask what tool you use to get those battery information?

Thanks

3. cilliand

battery percentage I am using superbattery.

The other information is just the system information in Settings.

-my phone is now dead, although I did nothing but look at the screen since my last post.

4. Davian

Davian Member

I had this kind of drain due to installed software.

I would reset the phone back to factory and get a baseline on the battery life with the typical no GPS/wi-fi etc power saving settings.

Then try juice defender or the like.

Then try reinstalling your apps and widgets in stages.

5. cilliand

Guess I could, kind of defeats the purpose though if it can't even handle a full day

6. rynlpin

rynlpin Well-Known Member

I know they say smartphones use a lot of battery power but boy...the Galaxy S is terrible! And with a 2 year contact. Not happy.

7. Aravindan

Aravindan Well-Known Member

There's a price that we must all pay for the most dazzling and crisp screen that we flaunt around with. Even when the brightness is kept at ZERO, the display is still brighter than most conventional phones. That's how Super AMOLED is and we cant complain about that all the time.

There is a possibility that the installed apps in your phone drain your battery. Please install "Advanced Task Killer" app. In its settings, select to kill all running apps every 1 hour.You can also add its widget in your home screen, and kill all tasks in one touch. This will ensure that unwanted apps dont drain your power.

Hopefully this will solve your problem.

~ Aravindan

8. Davian

Davian Member

the point of the exercise is to find out what is causing the battery drain. Reset the phone. Test the battery life for a few days. Then reinstall apps one at a time, to find the offending app/widget, and fix or replace it.

Try juice defender - it's free. My phone will easily get me through the day using this.

Then I installed a 3200mAh battery. My phone's been off the charger for 37 hours and the battery is at 41%.

YMMV.

9. caesey

caesey Well-Known Member

Also, try this:

*#*#4636#*#*

You will get a screen with battery information, I found this useful as there was a game that was hogging sensor usage even when it was not open! After I uninstalled it, battery life was much better.

Note also that if you are in an area with low network signal, your battery will die sooner, there is nothing much you can do about that.