Galaxy S Bugs & Firmware SugestionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. gino_76ph

gino_76ph Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

All of the ones's below are addressed to Samsung and to anyone else experiencing these stuff. please feel free to give comments.

1. BUG!!! when surfing the internet using the in-built browser (or any 3rd-party browser) 10/10 times the Auto-fit function does not work. And this is for ANY website I have tried so far.

2. a way to enhance and smoothen how an app (or an acitivty like playing music or watching a video) closes and goes back to the main home screen ala iPhone. (READ: the way it fades back or a millisecond door closing like the iPhone)

3. a way for the auto-rotate function smoothly and better like the iPhone. The Galaxy S rotates “roughly” and the 1GHX processor surely should do something like what the iPhone does. And a lot better!

4. a way to “boost” the in-built wi-fi signal. My router is N-standard and when I go to my room which is 7 steps away (and only blocked by a small thin wall) the signal greatly degrades which In my opinion is odd.

5. a way to be able to use some Google or 3rd party app or when doing another task (like looking through photos) when playing an MP3 file on the background. For example in my experience when I was playing an MP3 file and when I went to Google Maps the music stops playing. Why???

6. URGENT!!! multitasking please to be a norm! Surely with a 1GHz processor there should me very minimal slowdown when opening and using multiple apps; 4 out of 10 times the phone freezes and goes very slow when doing multiple tasks and the more files (especially music and videos) you put on it.

7. when playing an MP3 file to use the 5.1 channel surround sound function “in conjunction” or “in unison” even if the Equaliser and the Effect function are set to a user's preference.

8. on the Main and Applications home screen the ability to sift through each home screen continously. For example if I was on home screen # 7 and I want to go back to home screen #1 without having to press the main center “Home button” and going back 7 steps why not make sifting through home screens continously. Can you see what I mean by this?

9. swipe sideways to unlock like the iPhone

10. a battery-saving app please!!! i've charged my brand-new Galaxy S and once I start using it (just using weather, news and watching a video) the battery slowly starts fading away after say 15 minutes. although not overly fading away.

11. BUG??? when the 3G/HSDPA signal is too low (between 0 to 2 bars which is beyond my control) the wi-fi is automatically turned-on for some reason.

12. when zooming in on a photo (using pinch-to-zoom) taken from the phone the picture doesn't “sharpens” itself unlike the iPhone

again, these things are non-exhaustive and more might turn up. these are all based on my 2-weeks with my brand new Galaxy S.
    please feel free to give your comments......

Advertisement
  2. ann_fl

ann_fl Member

yeah, Im with ya! Im trying so hard to wait on a update to see if any of this is resolved. Im growing impatient and quick.

3. gino_76ph

i'm sure with the 2.2 (and future updates) will fix some if not all of these issues. i know it's still too early to tell but i hope Samsung (and Google) is actually listening and doing something....

4. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude Well-Known Member

I am running JM2 and find it very stable, very fast with no lagging at all now. I have to say that I haven't noticed any of the complaints that have been pointed out here. Also the battery lasts way longer than it used to on the original firmware.

Waiting for a more stable and complete froyo before I upgrade the that.

5. gino_76ph

JM2?

you mentioned the battery last way longer? how many apps and media files (i.e. music and videos) have you got? and have you done multitasking? like say listening to an MP3 player while using Google apps (Maps, Latitude,etc.) or looking through photos?

6. dreamone

dreamone New Member

7. gino_76ph

hiya

as regards #1 i tried double tapping it but the tezt become enlarged that i need to swype it from side to sides. still...the Auto-fit functionality is NON-EXISTENT in my Galaxy S. IMO this is a bug!

regards # 2 my firmware is 2.1 update 1. i still think 3 out 10 times the apps doesn't close smoothly like what the iPhone does.

regards # 4 the wi-fi signal on my Galaxy S drops significantly when i'm in my room a bit further from my router. this seems to be odd because my flat is not that big and i expect a wi-fi signal to be better.

regards # 5 the music player DOES continue to play even if say i surf the net or look at BBC news or Sky news app or Google Maps. sometimes it just pauses or stops and there was an instant that it crashed. IMO this is a bug that needs fixing!

regards # 6 this is very urgent stuff. there is minimal (although not considerable) slowdown when doing multiple tasks on the Galaxy S. that's my experience so far anyway.

regrads # 7 test it now. why do i need to set everything to 'Normal' in order to use the 5.1? stupid really!

regards # 8 neat one! thanks for the sugestion...

regards # 9. firmware is mentioned as above. i unlock by swiping it "upways" using this "transparent" screen. no option to change how you unlock the phone. or maybe i don't know yet. any sugestions?

regards # 10. try it. the battery on my one (again although not too significant) is just...doesn't last that long to me. super AMOLEDs supposed to save power/battery life by atleast 20-30% i think. not too evident on my Galaxy S.

regards # 12. the photo taken from my phone doesn't re-sharpens itself and it becomes blurry when zooming-in. any explanation or sugestions?

ann_fl likes this.
  8. ann_fl

ann_fl Member

gino ITA!

9. Sparkle1975

Sparkle1975 Active Member

#10: My batteri is excellent.

I charged it 36 hours agp, and now it is showing 54% left. Okay, I did not make a lot of calls, only used SMS and checked Facebook a few times, but still it is a great performance. I use the Froyo 2.2 JP3 firmware.

However, I have discoveret a minor bug: My clock looses 7-8 minutes everyday :-( Don't know if it is a SW error.

10. goondu

goondu Active Member

Go get the fruit then. :O

11. dreamone

dreamone New Member

Didn't get time to test the other stuff.

Edit: Try LockBot to switch lockscreens. There is an option for the iPhone lockscreen.

gino_76ph likes this.
  12. gino_76ph

my Galaxy S is fully charged the following morning....

with Facebook, Twitter, Google apps, GPS turned off and...

brightness set to Auto and my profile set to Normal...

by end of the day (say around 9pm) the battery is less than 30% and was "told" by my phone to charge her.

does that sound strange to you? you think there must be something wrong with my battery?

13. Floodrain

Floodrain New Member

This is my problem aswell, i tried the app named juicedefender but made my phone go slow :/

14. gino_76ph

i also noticed another bug. whilst i'm listening to my MP3 files and when i go to gallery and viewing my photos, etc. the music mysteriously skips to the next song. anyone noticed this?

15. gino_76ph

i supposed until we get the elusive 2.2 update then we'll have to grind our teeth till Google approves and Samsung releases it....

but it's frustrating....

16. jollygoon

jollygoon Well-Known Member

As per the op's 11th question:
    Android phones are supposed to be connected to the internet so when it senses that 3g coverage isn't great it automatically tries to find another source for internet, I.e. wifi. It's on purpose. Granted it's annoying and would be cool if it had an option to disable it, but it's supposed to help.
    A bit like my boss, actually.

17. tamivroma

tamivroma Well-Known Member

I agree something is wrong with wi-fi. Coming from an Eris I never had this problem. In my office in the basement I have no signal and now wi-fi doesn't work either.

18. Cyb3r5c4r

Cyb3r5c4r Well-Known Member

it sounds to me that you have an older firmware that may need an update, on the keypad type *#1324# and tell us what it says.

im running 2.2 at the minute and all the issues you have seem to have been addressed.

19. vikingisson

vikingisson Well-Known Member

I haven't noticed mine doing this but I keep wifi running because I usually intend to jump on wifi when I'm able to. What I have noticed is that on certain APs namely my home's, it will randomly stop routing packets even though it shows a connection and full signal. When this happens I have no internet even if 3G is available unless I shut WiFI off. It is very frustrating to not be sure if I'm online, I have to run something to check. I had to try every setting on my AP until it started acting more reliably, my HTC and other devices at home never have this problem.

There is clearly something flaky with WiFI among other things. I'm on the latest official firmware and am counting on the next update to fix these things or I'm selling.

(I'm going to test this issue, I have a weak 3G spot in my house so if I turn off WiFI I can see if it turns on by itself)

edit-> k, tried it by turning off wifi and found a 1 bar spot in the house and used Market until I got a network error. WiFI did not turn it self back on, had to manually turn it on to get network access again. My version is JH2 so at least it fixes that part of the problem. speaking of network issues, this site is acting flaky a lot these past weeks, no wonder activity is way down.

20. Cyb3r5c4r

What version is that? JM1?

21. vikingisson

I just edited my post above before noticing you had added this post. I have JH2

22. Cyb3r5c4r

I take it you are in austrailia? im not very up on firmware for that part of the world but the last time samsung released an update was august so there should be another commin soon

23. vikingisson

no, Canada. We've had our own set of stupid issues like the 3 button mode disabled and all too easy to brick situations. The latest update was less than 2 weeks ago. I'm not happy with this phone yet and was counting on 2.2 by now so that I'd still be in my 14 days return period. So now if the bugs aren't fixed next month it will be a lot harder to return this turkey of a phone.

24. Cyb3r5c4r

how i didnt insult by assuming you were an auzie
    im sorry the phone dissapoints you, i think its much better than the istone 4 or any other smartphone for that matter

25. vikingisson

You can't insult me that easily.
    How can I think this phone is better than others when it only works halfway? I have no desire to use an iphone but whatever I use I need the basics to work and so far this phone has failed. Great spec and good marketing, shitty software. It is all fixable but so far I'm less than impressed and will give it just long enough to see what the big 2.2 update will do. That keis software is the most bloated and useless app I've ever seen so if that's any sign of what they can do on the phone then I'm not confident.