Galaxy S feel and build qualitySupport

Last Updated:

1. ricardo001

ricardo001 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hello everyone! I have been doing a lot of reading on the Galaxy S and the Droid X. From what I understand, the GS is superior in many aspects to the DX but I

Advertisement
  2. deeoh1084

deeoh1084 Well-Known Member

well i'm pretty sure u know this already but it seems like it will be updated to 2.2 soon here's an article
    US carrier versions of the Samsung Galaxy S explained (Phone Arena News)

towards the end it says "All four US versions are confirmed for upgrade to Android 2.2, which will bring Adobe Flash Player 10.1 compatibility for a true-to-desktop web browsing."

3. ricardo001

Come guys, chime in on your opinion of the feel and build.

4. Evil Peter

Evil Peter Well-Known Member

I haven't had any issues with the feel and build of the phone, other than that the back of the phone shows fingerprints (although it's not that bad). It is solid and light weight so I think it's been wonderful to handle. I don't find that the plastic surface feels cheap and I guess that some who find it feeling cheap might combine the feel of plastic with low weight, despite that being light weight is a big advantage in my view.

As for the similarities to the iPhone it bothered me when I first saw the phone but I got used to it before it was released and when I got it I haven't really considered it. I think it looks nice, both physically and the UI. That will of course always be completely up to personal preferences though.

5. khivasha

khivasha Member

Feels fine to me, three days in. Yes it's plastic, but in return it's also lighter. And it's perfectly rigid and solid (so far ... ). So the plastic doesn't bother me at all. Prone to fingerprints is all I would complain about.

On the look, yes you can say it apes an out-of-date iPhone ... though I like to think of it as retro, a throwback to the days when iPhones used to work. More important than the back is the front: the screen is just as gobsmacking as reported. Everyone at work with any kind of HTC or iPhone has been round for a look since Monday, and so far they have all admitted defeat ... and already two people are upgrading in consequence.

6. justanotherguy

justanotherguy Well-Known Member

So the phone has a feel some dont like?
    How man y of you use a case or skin?
    my BH2 has a silicone jacket so I dont feel much of the phone anyway.
    Its helped keep it nice and scratch free two, + it doesnt move in the car
    Tony

7. Sam-Droid

Sam-Droid Member

I would say, overall, the phone is very good. Build quality is probably not as good as iPhone, however, Galaxy S is not bad either. I dont like iPhone anyway, and people will have different opinions about each of such mobiles. I feel the build quality is decent enough for its weight and size, and it gives excellent performance as well. The display of Galaxy S is the best in the world, and the clarity it gives is unbelievable!

8. yakboy

yakboy Well-Known Member

Build quality is AOK, no creaks and feels relatively tough. Build feel though is quite plasticy, a handset in this league should include higher cost materials, metal just feels better in the hand. Even just a metal bezel would make so much difference.

So overall plasticy but good plastic.

9. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

Yes, plasticky but decent.

I would say it's a bit 'slippery'. What I'd be really interested in was if there was a replacement back cover I could get with some kind of rubbery/anti-slip feel to it.

Anyone know if we're likely to see replacement covers?

10. lanceeee

lanceeee Member

4) Questionable reliability of Samsung products.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I don't have the GS yet, but I've had my Samsung Blackjack since it came out about 4 years ago(?). Zero reliability problems. My reliability experience with it is one of the main reasons I will try another Samsung.

11. karnka

karnka Well-Known Member

I've had a few Samsung phones and ever had a problem with the quality/reliability of the hardware.

Samsung themselves, that's different(!)

12. metalchocobo

metalchocobo Member

I think the back cover is too plasticky & fragile. The one on display at my local shop already has a big crack on it. I mean the construction is not that bad, but for the price I expect something better - like on the same level as the Nexus One, Desire, X10, iPhone, et cetera. :rolleyes:

13. TheTrueSpin

TheTrueSpin Well-Known Member

The build quality is what put me off the GS... After I handled one in the shop I thought there is no way I am paying

14. crashcarruthers

crashcarruthers Well-Known Member

This is a Korean media site that abused a Galaxy S until it cracked the front glass. The video is about half way down the page and no I don't know what they said. The front glass is Gorrila Glass.
    [?? ??] ???S, ??? ????? ???? ?? ?? ????

Click on the Question marks you will go to the website, it seems when I copied to this post that it doesn't understand Korean either!

15. ricardo001

Thank you everyone for your posts and please keep them coming.

Crashcarruthers, the GS uses Gorilla Glass? I've tried to find out whether thats true but couldn't find anything that looked official. From my understanding, that type of glass has a very good rputation of being robust. I beleive the Droid X, the other phone I'm considering, also uses Gorilla Glass. That type of glass would be a big plus for the GS.

16. crashcarruthers

crashcarruthers Well-Known Member

Yes, Corning Gorrilla Glass on the face of the Galaxy S. Search Youtube for Galaxy S and Corning and they show videos of them testing it (In Sweden I think).

17. ricardo001

Crashcarruthers,I did a search using those terms and couldn't find anything. Do you think I can trouble you for a link?

18. The Captain

The Captain Member

Had the Galaxy S for 3 days now. Doesn't feel plastickly to me and appears to be very robust. No doubt time will tell. This is my first "Smartphone" and so far is all its made out to be.

19. ConceptVBS

ConceptVBS Well-Known Member

20. ricardo001