• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S fully bricked, no recovery/download mode via 3 button

IINexusII

Lurker
Nov 7, 2010
Hi. i bought this phone off ebay which was unlocked. and being a n900 user i thought ill be ready for flashing this phone to debrand.

being a noob i used the xwjm1 firmware first which resulted in a freeze at the galaxy s logo. since download mode doesn't work via the button combo i was able to get to it via adb reboot download. i tried again with the jm5 firmware but it froze while flashing, so when i removed it out of the USB and rebooted it i got the phone... ! PC screen, and i'm stuck there. it had bvjm1 for phone and bvjm5 for pda previously

what options do i have now? i will try the heat trick tomorrow but i'm thinking of trying to send it back somewhere for repair. orange wont accept it since its been voided by flashing, would Samsung take it back for repair? please let me know

any help would be grateful

thanks

if you cannot get the button combo, then I don't know. I bricked mine and put it into flash mode like this:
- Plug USB cable
- Remove battery
- Press AND HOLD volume down and menu key at the same time
- While pressing and holding the mentioned buttons, reinsert the battery
- Let go of the buttons and you should go into Download mode.

Since you couldn't before, not sure you will now be able to, but worth trying. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Chances are its one of the handsets that doesnt have the 3 button recovery. Samsung disabled it on some newer Galaxys (including mine!). Mine bricked during the official Froyo update from Kies, and had to be sent away for repair because I couldnt get into recovery mode (still waiting on it coming back!).

The only thing I can suggest doing is contacting Samsung directly, blaming the Froyo update, and not mention flashing etc at all! I know of another couple of people who have had the same issue as me, so you might get away with it....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones