• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S III Notification issues

Hi guys,
Im new here, both to Android and these forums, so forgive me if there is an easy fix for this, as I've looked everywhere.

Had the device for over a week now, and suddenly over the last day or two, I've been having problems with notifications not showing up at all, in the status bar or the LED indicator; no facebook, no email, no instagram, and also strangely, the Play Store is no longer sending a notification when I have an update available, I have to go into My Apps and BEHOLD! there is 3 updates available.

Anyway, any idea on a fix or the cause of this? I know it works, as its only just started happening. I have checked all notification settings in the apps, cleared cache and data from the apps and also uninstalled and reinstalled for good measure, still no dice.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Daniel

I've had to reboot mine a couple of times when I've found notifications not working properly. It's either an issue with the ICS build used or what Samsung have done with it. Not the end of the world and more or less the kind of issue I'm expecting in moving from my reliable old 3GS to the bleeding edge of Android.

<Devil's advocate>One thing to point out though, it's not a common issue. Just clarifying the fact that it's not an issue everyone with the phone is experiencing. </Devil's advocate>

:)

Out of interest, Internaut & Danunite, which network are you guys on? I'm on vodafone and don't have the issue but...
I'm just wondering, if you're both on the same network, therefore you may have the same phone preloaded with that network's branded Touchwiz image and there may be a common link between your phones that are experiencing the problem.
Davoid posted a thread on how to find this out. I've quoted this below:

If you dial the code *#7465625# into your dialer a screen will display, telling you whether Network Lock is ON or OFF.

HTH

Elbee

Upvote 0
I'm on Orange and the phone appears to be vanilla. Out of the box, the default theme is Orangey (normal for the home screen???) but the device is free of Orange software. One thing I would say though - my S3 moves between up to three WiFi networks (home, work and BT hotspots). I did notice on one occasion that notifications appeared after I left coverage of the guest WiFi network at the office.

Upvote 0
Yeah I've tried rebooting the phone. I found that some notifications were popping through last night, facebook etc.
However now the big problem remains with the Google Play Store not notifying me of updates, I have notifications selected, but it just refuses to pop through.

Also, I am on the Telstra network, but I have googled to no avail to find any mention of this issue in relation to the S III at all, really no idea what could be causing it to just stop so suddenly.
I suppose the next step is a factory reset.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones