Galaxy S Refugee - new Desire owner.

Last Updated:

1. daveleather

daveleather Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I had a SGS for a few months but the problems with it got the better of me in the end, and I'm now the proud new owner of a Desire (well, assuming the Ebay seller I bought it from is legit and actually sends it to me!)

After lots of flashing and rooting with the SGS I now need to read up on the Desire :)

Anyway, just saying hello.

Advertisement
  2. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!! :)

3. kartnite

kartnite Well-Known Member

Welcome in 'ere, mate. I was one of those who was about to go for the SGS (the reason being the Desire's unavailability then). And boy am I glad I waited...

Gratz & Good luck with your new phone. :)

4. daveleather

The annoying this is, I had both the SGS and the Desire side-by-side and chose the Galaxy - at the time it was probably the screen that did it for me .. I judged the book by its cover.

5. webstar

webstar Member

What exactly made you go for htc desire, after using galaxy s? I'm currently in a dilemma about which phone should i choose... Basically, what i saw in a lot of reviews is that galaxy s is more powerful, has super amoled 4 inch screen (as opposed to htc desire's 3.7 inch slcd) and it comes with 8gb/16gb internal sd cards... on the other hand, desire has htc sense, pretty much it's only advantage?

6. daveleather

There's no doubt the screen on the Galaxy is fantastic - big and bright.

The Desire feels a lot nicer to hold though - the Galaxy is OK, but is a bit plasticky to hold. The Desire is more 'solid'.

For me though, even though I'm not a big satnav user, it was the GPS problems on the Galaxy that were so annoying. The one time I really needed it to work half-well, it almost caused me to crash the car - something I've never done in the 25 years I've been driving. The next day I stuck the phone on Ebay.

The SGS was laggy with 2.1 (and still is for some with 2.2 apparently), and needs a 'lagfix' to improve things.

With regards to storage, I'm not a big MP3 or movie storer, so I'm not too fussed about that. Sure, I'll stick a big card in it but I'll never really need much space. I don't use too many apps.

Haha, after all this, I hope the GPS on the Desire is working well!!

7. Its_Red

Its_Red Well-Known Member

Well for me the GPS has been fantastic, I've driven right across Europe using several different satnav software and it was spot on everytime. I'm currently using the Sygic satnav which is pretty good :D

8. kartnite

The plasticky feel and the awkward size were the reasons I chose to wait. "Powerhouse" factor aside.

The Desire looks... well... DESIROUS! :D

9. SlugForAButt

SlugForAButt Member

Yep, Desire wins hands down in terms of build quality.
    SGS has a good looking screen but feels like it's made of polystyrene.
    Also, the GPS works flawlessly on the Desire. I use mine for Geocaching as well as Satnav and I have yet to fault it. My wife uses the TomTom when driving as she is used to it, but I don't care which I use - that's how good the GoogleMaps is.
    Power wise, don't both use the same processor?

10. Jason71

Jason71 Well-Known Member

The SGS certainly has some good stand out features like the screen and GPU but I think the strength of the Desire is that its a good all rounder. That and the fact that HTC will almost certainly support it better than Samsung will the SGS in the long run.

11. kartnite

1 GHz, yes. But the Desire uses a comparatively less powerful SnapDragon processor as opposed to the Hummingbird processor (on-board the Galaxy S)

Snapdragon versus Hummingbird

12. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

humming bird is a better cpu however sgs doesnt utilise it properly or effeciently.
    their kernel is utter dog and is the case with all samsung androids tbh.
    lag fix fixes alot of stuff however there are issues with how it performs in certain aspects

its certainly the better option for multitouch and gaming. other than that im glad i chose desire over sgs.
    again as ive said in many threads, i have so much choice but i chose this baby