Support Galaxy S running really slow

1. brisandroid

brisandroid Member

Hey guys,

I just got my phone about 4 days ago, and when opening apps, unlocking, opening contact lists etc etc, it just lags heaps. Does anybody else have the same issue? Could it just be an optimization thing or something?

Advertisement
  2. Eazail70x7

Eazail70x7 Well-Known Member

Maybe an app thats slowing down your phone??
  3. brisandroid

brisandroid Member

my apps installed are:

3g watchdog
    asphalt5
    astrid tasks
    beautiful widgets
    ebuddy
    es file explorer
    ethereal dialpad
    fring
    grouptext
    handcent sms
    isyncr
    launcherpro
    mixzing
    pure calendar widget
    sleep timer
  4. kittiyut

kittiyut New Member

5. arvindm

arvindm Member

Why don't u install Advanced Task Killer... and close down any apps that are not needed. It helps loads in my opinion.
  6. brisandroid

brisandroid Member

Hmm how safe is it to root it? Because yes, I am getting it stalling
  7. brisandroid

brisandroid Member

Actually, after installing Advanced Task Killer and getting rid of a few things it seems to be substantially quicker (killed music player, layar, messaging, fring and a few other things). Thanks for the help :)
  8. Evil Peter

Evil Peter Well-Known Member

Just be aware that the reason apps are staying in your RAM is because that lowers the battery use when starting those applications again. Therefor it's not advisable to overuse a task killer.
  9. tmzbeme

tmzbeme Well-Known Member

some of the apps on mine run slow as heck ...even after using a task killer.

The worst is Dolphin HD ....it takes about 8 seconds to load and on exit it takes 10 or more seconds.

'mobisle notes' also is very slow to open, and switch between screens and exit.

the same operations on the nexus are instantaneous.

could it be the apps themselves are not fully compatible with the galaxy or is the galaxy formware just that slow?
  10. drjmo

drjmo Active Member

I'm having real problems with the mail, sms and other system apps being slow, so i'm beginning to wonder if it's a system issue tbh.
  11. lexmeister2

lexmeister2 Member

I found the Samsung widgets really slowed it down, mainly the daily briefing one. Once I got rid of them it sped up massively.
  12. drjmo

drjmo Active Member

I just deleted the google search widget from the home screen, and it's made a massive difference actually. Have you just deleted the widgets, or have you turned them off somewhere on the phone as well?
  13. lexmeister2

lexmeister2 Member

Just took them off the screen, it's when they try to update that the phone freezes.
    androiddawg likes this.
  14. sanzboi18

sanzboi18 Member

guys iv got this phone,but im disappointed by its wifi,its simple rubbish,the modem is next room and it says poor signal,whn im by the modem it says excellent,so im not happy with this as im web brower freak,any idea wat to do?
    yes few apps taking time to open.
  15. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Well-Known Member

How is the phone's speed and performance in comparison to the HTC Desire? I have seen a few mentions on various forums and websites that it's a little slow and laggy when compared to the Desire.
  16. ConceptVBS

ConceptVBS Well-Known Member

The widgets are eating up the RAM memory in the phone. Just close them out and you'll notice a big increase in speed. Also get a task killer installed on your phone it should help manage RAM memory. Once 2.2 in launched, you'll see a greater increase in speed as it enables the full use of memory greater than 256MB.
  17. scarlet_pimp

scarlet_pimp Active Member

My GF has this phone i'm rockin the desire and I noticed that her phone is really slow to open applications, or download things from the market place. I can't see any reason why this should be and she has removed all widgets from her home screens so that only the first screen has anything on at all and thats just apps.
    She has now installed task killer and still the phone is slow.

When she first got the phone it was quick but after a couple of days use it slowed right down. My desire in contrast is snappy despite having live wallpaper and being used quite heavily alot more than my GF's phone anyway.

We both however suffer from the problem of getting alot of missed calls an some times are unable to make calls despite having a couple of signal bars. which i think is a general android issue now in areas where 3g is not available.

Anyone know what this could be or know if Samsung are working on a fix?
  18. drjmo

drjmo Active Member

I have a feeling it'll probably all be wrapped around the Froyo update which from other threads appears to be late August / early September. I guess if enough people complain they might take note! Have you contacted Samsung?
  19. scarlet_pimp

scarlet_pimp Active Member

No not contacted anyone official yet, bt she is starting to get PO'd so can only be a matter of time.
  20. VegasTouch

VegasTouch Well-Known Member

How many days do you get to have the phone to be able to take it back if you dont like it?
  21. I've had mine a few days and it really lags bad, I think i'm returning it :(
  22. sunwee

sunwee Member

well there are some good news. latest firmware from europe seems to have solve the lags. at almost the same time someone over at modaco found a way to mount a sdcard to hold the data files. separately both seems to solve the lag. but wait...... some brave guys combine both solutions together, and guess what...running the quadrant benchmark, it show even higher than 2.2 nexus!!! details are too technical to explain here, but if you are interested or are daring enough check out modaco and xda-developers under the respective galaxy s forums :)
  23. wbexpress

wbexpress Member

No issues with lag or anything at all. I may not even root (at least not yet;)). I saw "somewhere" that there may be "Market lost" issues. Has anyone who has rooted found anything like that and is there a fix?
  24. longshotnl

longshotnl New Member

Mine is laggy too but a cheap solution is to switch the phone off and on again!!
    It sure helps!!!!